Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Settings for optimal AC3 avi files playback? (Read 3365 times) previous topic - next topic

Settings for optimal AC3 avi files playback?

Hi all.
I search whole internet from time to time for a answer to my problem and unfortunatly can't find it. Hope someone could finally help me. If you have same/similar software/hardware as me and found a way to hear ac3 divx/xvid .avi files the way they are supossed to be heard then please help me and tell me exactly how you did it.

First what i have:
- SB Audigy with drivers for Audigy2 (works great, better sound etc. tutorial on this can be found here: http://www.tech-pc.co.uk/audigy-1.php)
- Creative DesktopTheater 5.1 DTT2200 speakers (without hardware DD decoder)
- Windows XP Professional SP1
- I have installed only XviD codec, DivX audio codec, OGG DirectShow filters, ffdshow and ac3filter0_70b. For watching movies i use only Windows Media Player 6.4.

All seems fine (every film is working, i hear surround sound etc.) but it doesn't sound same as i heard on my friends 5.1 speakers with DD decoder (i dont know what card/settings he was using) My surround (rear) speakers are very quiet etc. I don't know how to express it but it sounds different from what i heard at friends house. At ac3filter i use these settings : 3/2+SW 5.1 channels, sample format PCM 24bit. If i set SPDIF and let the card decode ac3 it sounds same i think and video sometimes slows down.

What to do to make it sound perfectly? Should i use directshow/waveout? install/deinstall some filters (eg. morgan..) change some settings/apply fixes i dont know about? Use some other players?
Any help is welcomed

Please don't write that i should use other sound card or speakers but try to figure out what to do to make it work on this hardware

PS. Could you give me a link to some test ac3 .avi files (and if there's a way of playing vob files thru WMP without installing WinDVD or such then a link to test ac3 .vob files too)

Thanks for reading and any comments

Settings for optimal AC3 avi files playback?

Reply #1
you can try to rip a vob with smartripper, demux the ac3 stream with tmpeg and play it with powerdvd or  the ac3 plugin for winamp. under linux mplayer and transcode is the way to go.

BadHorsie