Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Winamp is opening its source code (Read 2472 times) previous topic - next topic

Winamp is opening its source code

"Winamp will open up its code for the player used on Windows, enabling the entire community to participate in its development," said the company. "This is an invitation to global collaboration, where developers worldwide can contribute their expertise, ideas, and passion to help this iconic software evolve."

https://about.winamp.com/press/article/winamp-open-source-code

Re: Winamp is opening its source code

Reply #1
Headline says "Dec 16", so I googled for mentions. Nothing. I assume it is just a mishap for "May 16"? If the news has been up for five months without anyone noticing, it would be quite telling about what Winamp isn't anymore.

Also telling, it must be deliberate how unclear they are on whether the source will be open indeed, or whether they merely use the "open" buzzword for an "invitation to see the source and work for free for us".

Reply #2
Winamp will remain the owner of the software and will decide on the innovations made in the official version"
I predict Winamp will boldly go nowhere. Way too little, way too late, imho. Kinda sad because I remember when Winamp was a godsend.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?  ;~)

Reply #3
@spoon

Hi
what a beautiful news , a legendary audio player
may I ak you if WACUP is the open source evelution ?
just because english is not my native language , and seems even in preview ,seems the new winamp evolution
thanks

Reply #4
Well, according to many (here for example), the problem is the license that will be chosen for sources release: it'll not be FOSS very likely - since they consciously dribbled the "open source" term in this announcement - but proprietary, so this sounds a bit like "our software is definitely drowning, is anyone interested in relaunching it (for free) ?"

Nowadays it would be MUCH MORE interesting to have the foobar source code (under a FOSS license), IMHO.
Hybrid Multimedia Production Suite will be a platform-indipendent open source suite for advanced audio/video contents production.
Official git: https://forart.it/HyMPS/