Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Can you hear the difference between 44.1kHz and 32kHz FLAC files? (Read 1354 times) previous topic - next topic

Can you hear the difference between 44.1kHz and 32kHz FLAC files?

Hi,

if you down-sample a 44.1kHz FLAC file to 32kHz with sox sample44.flac sample32.flac rate 32k, can you tell them apart by just normal listening?

I am older, I don't hear any difference. If you do, would you post some test samples?

Thanks,
Xerius

Re: Can you hear the difference between 44.1kHz and 32kHz FLAC files?

Reply #1
The Nyquist frequency (the highest possible in the recording) is simply the sample rate divided by 2.
So 22 or 16 kHz.
If your hearing is gapped at < 16 kHz due to age related hearing loss, you will have a hard time to discriminate between the two.
TheWellTemperedComputer.com

Reply #2
Never tried this ngl. The lowest native samplerate i have is 37.8 khz. My guess would be if you dont filter everything over 32khz before converting you will hear aliasing.
And so, with digital, computer was put into place, and all the IT that came with it.

Reply #3
My guess would be if you dont filter everything over 32khz before converting you will hear aliasing.
All decent resamplers do filtering automatically by default.

Reply #4
In normal music, I think not many could if upper freq is around 16k. Maybe isolated sounds played
super loud and highly tonal stuff .

Reply #5
> with sox sample44.flac sample32.flac rate 32k

one way when it can audibly damage the sound, is if the resampled amplitude goes over 0 dBFS, and is clipped when being converted to an integer format.
(maybe it even prints a warning when it happens, I don't remember for sure)
it's not very likely, but can happen, especially if the source audio was "maximized" (in simple but inaccurate terms, "too loud").
a fan of AutoEq + Meier Crossfeed

Reply #6
I can't.