Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Any technique to connect a mini-xlr cable? (Read 927 times) previous topic - next topic

Any technique to connect a mini-xlr cable?

I bought an AKG K702. It comes with a horrible connector that I understand is called nini-xlr.

Why horrible? Because you have to match 3 small pins (male) that you cannot see once you approach the connector on the cable (female).

Anybody has a trick/technique that is foolproof or as foolproof as possible?

Just to clarify, the first time it went perfectly. I removed it to use a shorter cable, and now I cannot make it work anymore.

Thanks.

Re: Any technique to connect a mini-xlr cable?

Reply #1
Mini XLR has this metal buckle, isn't there a notch for it? A replacement cable for the AKG:

Reply #2
EDIT: ok, looking inside with more light, I can see a canal where the thing should fit. It appears the pins have bent or that actually the holes have moved.

Still think is a horrible connector to have in this type of situations, I rather have a normal 3.5 like in my Philips Fidelio. Which makes the cables much more easy to connect.

----

The cable has the metal buckle, however, there is not notch for it in the AKG. Or at least not an obvious one.

Such a horrible design. The pins and the holes are so small (the picture you sent is from the non-small XLR) that if you move half a millimeter you are off.

Reply #3
I've worked with mini XLR and regular XLR quite often, and the problem is that the tolerances are pretty tight. That results in a very reliable connection, but you really need good quality connectors, and there is a lot of junk around.

Probably that's why they're used in pro audio, where reliability is more important than cost.
Music: sounds arranged such that they construct feelings.