Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Preview of foobar2000 mobile v1.4 (Read 19532 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Preview of foobar2000 mobile v1.4

Reply #25
Meanwhile, iOS version has been released to beta testers.
Microsoft Windows: We can't script here, this is bat country.

Reply #26
Seemingly automated rejection >> appeal >> apparent human reply rejecting appeal.

There's no option to have only read access.
There's no sanely working option to have only music folder access. Secure Access Framework does it, but with severe bugs and horrible performance, should be avoided this at all costs, caused bugs like "list of playlists takes 10s+ to load" with past foobar2000 versions. I can't yell at every user reporting these bugs to use private foobar2000 music folder instead.
There's no sanely working option to have access only to music files - "media files only" mode hides files that Android doesn't recognize as music, such as Musepack.

I expected trouble, but VLC and Kodi do the same and somehow haven't been rejected.

Finally, users don't actually have to grant foobar2000 full disk access if they don't want to, foobar2000 prompts for full disk access only when trying to add local folders to Media Library.

" private foobar2000 music folder instead"
where exactly is  this located?
I could not find its location on my phone, so I just used the root of my phones internal storage,
since my phone a Samsung Galaxy S21+ does not have a microSD card slot at all.. only the sim card slot...

I use the same folder layout as I do on my Windows PCs (desktop and laptop).
C:/JoeMusic/  sub-folders named based on consoles and other factors..

Reply #27
> apparent human reply rejecting appeal.

There's no way to escalate this?
The horrible performance of the Secure Access Framework in combination with many files is well known.

Edit: this exception should apply to fb2k:
There is currently no alternative method to provide the core functionality, or the use of privacy-friendly alternatives (for example, MediaStore API or Storage Access Framework) has a substantially detrimental impact on the critical features of the app that are tied to the core functionality.
I mean, when they test it with 5 files, they won't see a performance problem...

Reply #28
I could not find its location on my phone, so I just used the root of my phones internal storage,
since my phone a Samsung Galaxy S21+ does not have a microSD card slot at all.. only the sim card slot...

It is located inside app's private data. It's not normally accessible from Windows Explorer or Android file manager apps
In foobar2000 console you will see on each startup lines like this:
Code: [Select]
Monitoring: foobar2000 Music Folder : /data/user/0/com.foobar2000.foobar2000/data/Music
This points to where it's located within the device filesystem.
You can manipulate files there using developer tools such as ADB.
But it's much easier to just use foobar2000 FTP server to transfer music there.
I'm open to ideas how to make accessing it even easier. I personally like VLC's web interface for uploading files but doing anything like it is waaaay beyond my HTML skills.

Reply #29
> apparent human reply rejecting appeal.

There's no way to escalate this?
The horrible performance of the Secure Access Framework in combination with many files is well known.

Edit: this exception should apply to fb2k:
There is currently no alternative method to provide the core functionality, or the use of privacy-friendly alternatives (for example, MediaStore API or Storage Access Framework) has a substantially detrimental impact on the critical features of the app that are tied to the core functionality.
I mean, when they test it with 5 files, they won't see a performance problem...
Thanks for the tip, I'll try submitting again in a few days with a new build.

Reply #30

It is located inside app's private data. It's not normally accessible from Windows Explorer or Android file manager apps
In foobar2000 console you will see on each startup lines like this:
Code: [Select]
Monitoring: foobar2000 Music Folder : /data/user/0/com.foobar2000.foobar2000/data/Music
This points to where it's located within the device filesystem.
You can manipulate files there using developer tools such as ADB.
But it's much easier to just use foobar2000 FTP server to transfer music there.
I'm open to ideas how to make accessing it even easier. I personally like VLC's web interface for uploading files but doing anything like it is waaaay beyond my HTML skills.
aah ok..
 I usual use a USB cable to plugin my phone into my Windows PC,
 so I can upload music to the root of the phone in my JoeMusic folder...

so accessing my phones root folder as Foobar2000 does now is essential for me..
I keep it simple...

good luck Peter.

Reply #31
Follow up rant:
Even on locked-down iOS, private app data folder can be accessed from your computer over USB cable.
On Android, there's no standard interface to manage files in app-specific folders and Google clearly doesn't want apps to touch the filesystem outside app-specific folders at all.

Reply #32
Tested Manifest.permission.READ_MEDIA_AUDIO instead of Manifest.permission.MANAGE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE
Works, but makes all files not recognized by Google as audio to disappear. You get your MP3s and FLACs, but anything more exotic = empty folder presented.
No external covers picked either, whoever designed this had no clue WTF they were doing.

Reply #34
> Anything to add?

In regards to SAF performance: maybe mention that the problems appear with larger collections (basically every additional file makes SAF slower) and that fb2k is targeted towards power users, which often have large collections.

You could also mention a link between fb2k and VLC/Kodi, which were granted MANAGE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE and basically do the same stuff as fb2k (minus video files). If they wouldn't have access to MANAGE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE, they'd suffer from the same UUX-degrading problems.

Reply #35
I'm going to respond with:
https://www.foobar2000.org/temp/MANAGE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE.txt

Anything to add?
wow lol, good luck Peter.

thoughts.

I use Foobar2000 mainly for MP3(more video game music and anime music), SNES spc, Sega Genesis gym/vgm, PlayStation 1&2,
and Sega Saturn ssf

all done via a game music component(s)

thx Peter for doing  what you can to revive them for use with 64bit version... till then I will stick with the 32bit version of Foobar2000 on Windows PC and for ANDROID devices like my Samsung Galaxy S21+ thx for including the video game music components

Reply #36
Anything to add?
IMO, it should be toned down a bit, since it sounds very confrontational (even if it was not intentional).
I do understand your frustration with Google policies and/or with the way they handle things like this, but, from my experience, voicing it in such a way is counter-productive and might reduce the possibility of your appeal acceptance.
E.g. phrases like "Whoever designed this obviously had no clue about typical music collection structure" should be avoided, since they don't add any useful  information to the appeal, but will more than likely trigger defensive reaction from the responder, if he identifies himself as part of the Google, which might make him ignore the appeal altogether.

Reply #37
IMO, it should be toned down a bit, since it sounds very confrontational (even if it was not intentional).
I do understand your frustration with Google policies and/or with the way they handle things like this, but, from my experience, voicing it in such a way is counter-productive and might reduce the possibility of your appeal acceptance.
E.g. phrases like "Whoever designed this obviously had no clue about typical music collection structure" should be avoided, since they don't add any useful  information to the appeal, but will more than likely trigger defensive reaction from the responder
I second that (including removing the "Useless to me"), though I can understand the frustration after that massive rewrite and the fact that similar apps (VLC/Kodi) got MANAGE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE granted.

Try to be as explanatory and friendly as possible when you want to convince them that you need that right.

Reply #38
What you're reading is already the censored and toned down version. But OK I'll work on it some more.

Edit: Updated and toned down some more.

Potential mitigation I just thought of is requesting both READ_MEDIA_AUDIO and READ_MEDIA_IMAGES so we can read external covers. It still sucks (limits audio format support, no archive support) but will cause way fewer false bug reports.
I might have to do this for Google Play and at the same time provide standalone APK with MANAGE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE.

Reply #39
Build 757 up, now with detailed change log.

Reply #40
OK, success.

After some constructive exchange of appeal messages, build 757 is up on Google Play.

Reply #41
OK, success.

After some constructive exchange of appeal messages, build 757 is up on Google Play.
ok kool, Thx Peter.
are all the video game music components and Kode54 worked on still included that were in earlier ANDROID builds?
that is in essence why I use Foobar2000 Windows and android mobile.
plus .FLAC, .MP3, and .ogg
please and thx of course.

Reply #42
OK, success.

Superb! Friendly tenacity pays off.

Reply #43
ok Peter,
I got the alpha update installed via Google Play Store.
I had to remove the old folder listings and re-add them..
after granting full access permissions.. lol O_o

SNES .spc files, working.
while accessing Sega Genesis .gym after playing an SNES .spc file
there was no playback stalled..
 I had to use the controls to manually change track to get playback going.. as a possible bug note..
I tried to run a .spc SNES music file this time while a Genesis .gym was playing... stalled too... pause/p[lay button did nothing..
but like before the skip track button worked to get playback going again.. lol

.mp3 files do not appear to be effected...
only the Sega Genesis (.gym/.vgm) and SNES (.spc) music files..

strange.. I wonder what is causing it.. lol ;)

last bug the music/files playing at least for an .mp3 did not stop/pause when I closed the Android app.
v1.4.0-alpha_build.757.

also it is not remembering the last viewed folder so its not staying ion the folder it was in before when I close the app and reopen it unless the music is still playing..

lol wow loads of bugs..
have fun Peter fixing them. :D ^_^ ;)

edit1:
I do not bother with making playlists on the ANDROID mobile version too much hassle to add on the music to them  as it is on Windows..
no problem though... I browse by folder and that works well enough for me.

Reply #44
last bug the music/files playing at least for an .mp3 did not stop/pause when I closed the Android app.
v1.4.0-alpha_build.757.
Did this work for you in previous versions?
I can't remember it to work ever, same as in VLC, because the background service used for playback doesn't notice when an app was closed. However I provided Peter with a link, that might be able to fix this. At least there must be some way, because I read (not tested ) that some players are able to recognise when they're closed and afterwards stop playback.

Reply #45
v1.4.0-alpha_build.757.
Did this work for you in previous versions?
I can't remember it to work ever, same as in VLC, because the background service used for playback doesn't notice when an app was closed. However I provided Peter with a link, that might be able to fix this. At least there must be some way, because I read (not tested ) that some players are able to recognise when they're closed and afterwards stop playback.

It worked fine before on Foobar2000 (v1.3.2) for android.
It just paused and not fully stopped the playing track on closing the app.

and it use to remember the folder I was viewing before...

Reply #46
Build 758, addressed playback not getting suspended on app close among other things.

Reply #47
Build 758, addressed playback not getting suspended on app close among other things.
ty Peter.
I noticed the functionality for playing .psf/.psf2 Sony PlayStation 1&2 music component and the Sega Saturn one are missing and I can not play those files... :(

and has build 758 been published to Google Play Store yet?

Reply #48
Hi Peter, trying this build on my Fiio M11 Pro and still the same bug as the previews before: Playback getting suspended although app *not* closed. Playback stops after every title 1 second before its shown duration. So I have always to skip manually to the next title and then pushing Play/Pause button (ore swiping the blue button in the progress bar when I want to repeat the last title)  :-[  (either in Android and Pure Music mode)
Last version without detected flaws was 1.2.30, Version 1.3.0 became unresponsive with huge playlists (shuffle all tracks --> Playlist), but that issue seems to be resolved with 1.4 ;-)

Fiio M11Pro, ca. 102000 files, only mp3 (CBR and VBR)) on 1TB SD card