Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: speex for mac? (Read 5036 times) previous topic - next topic

speex for mac?

Hello,

Is anyone aware of an easy to use player for speex files (spx) on the Mac platform (MacOS9 and/or MacOSX). I've seen the qtcomponents site with support for speex which should enable iTunes to play them - but it doesn't seem to have binaries. 

regards!

speex for mac?

Reply #1
I would be interested in an answer too (Mac OS X only). I do not need real-time, I only want to compress Streamed Real Audio to something else.

So far, I found Qualcomm PureVoice™ (included in QuickTime Pro 6.4) that compresses really well (a bit better than what I should expect from a Real Audio file and five times better than Vorbis quality 0.1 at half-rate,) but with a significant quality loss : it sounds like you grandparent's radio. It is acceptable to me regarding the compression ratio (1 hour and 22 minutes for 5.5 Meg instead of 418 Meg from the original 44K/16KHz/mono AIFF file)

If you cannot stand that quality, take the Vorbis route (quality 0.1 is enough for headphone, you may choose quality 2 for deluxe speakers, don't know) thank to the Ogg plugin for iTunes.