Skip to main content

Topic: Need a second of silence (Read 6675 times) previous topic - next topic

• apodtele
  • [*]
Need a second of silence
I encoded a compilation CD by various artists, which barely had any gaps between the songs (I know it's nuts). Now I want to add padding to my mp3's at least. Please help!

• testyou
  • [*][*][*]
Need a second of silence
Reply #1
There is an Edit MP3 Gapless Playback Information utility in foobar2000.
There is some information on the wiki here: Gapless playback.
  • Last Edit: 25 September, 2013, 04:31:13 PM by testyou

• Aleron Ives
  • [*][*][*]
Need a second of silence
Reply #2
It sounds like he wants essentially the opposite of gapless playback: the original CD didn't have much silence between tracks, so now he wants to add a second or two of silence to his MP3s as a buffer between songs.

Did you save lossless copies of the CD audio? If so, a straightforward method would be to append silence to the end of each track before encoding to MP3. If you only saved the MP3 files, you'd have to re-rip the CD.

If you really need to edit the MP3 files directly, delaycut can pad MP3 files without transcoding, but it only seems to work on CBR files.

• DVDdoug
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Need a second of silence
Reply #3
Any audio editor can add silence to the end (or beginning) of a file.  Audacity is FREE.  I mostly use GoldWave ($50 USD after free trial).

Now I want to add padding to my mp3's...
FYI - There are issues when editing MP3s - A "normal" audio editor has to de-compress before editing.  That means you go through a 2nd lossy encoding step when you re-save.  (You may not notice any quality loss, but you should avoid re-encoding if possible.)

So, I'd suggest re-ripping to WAV.  Edit the WAV and save-as MP3.  (Since WAV is not "easily" tagged, the ripped WAV files might not be tagged, and you might have to do it manually.)

Another option is to use a special-purpose MP3 editor that can do limited editing without de-compressing/re-compressing.  mp3DirectCut is FREE.    I'm not sure if mp3DirectCut can add silence, but it can join files.  So, you can make a 1-second silent MP3 (with a regular audio editor) and join the files together.

• apodtele
  • [*]
Need a second of silence
Reply #4
So, I'd suggest re-ripping to WAV.  Edit the WAV and save-as MP3.  (Since WAV is not "easily" tagged, the ripped WAV files might not be tagged, and you might have to do it manually.)

I spent so much time manually tagging mp3's. I would hate to lose my work.

mp3DirectCut is FREE.    I'm not sure if mp3DirectCut can add silence, but it can join files.  So, you can make a 1-second silent MP3 (with a regular audio editor) and join the files together.

This is possibly the way to go.

• db1989
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Global Moderator
Need a second of silence
Reply #5
To create a fade or a silence for a selection you can use the gain dialog in the Edit menu. A gain area can also be created by the Normalize function in the Edit menu.
Not sure, but you can probably cut and paste a part of the desired length to the place you want and then silence it.

Edit:
How can I insert a piece of audio or some silence?
Insert works olny if you compile a file by appending pieces. To add silence record a piece of it and save some seconds to a new file, then append something to this silence. And so on.
  • Last Edit: 25 September, 2013, 07:51:24 PM by db1989