Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Two amplifiers w/ one audio source (Read 34930 times) previous topic - next topic

Two amplifiers w/ one audio source

Reply #25
Hello Guys

This is my first post here, great forum btw!

Anyway, in our gym we have this setup: We have two different areas and for each area, we have a seperate amplifier. For the entrance area, we have a smaller amp and for our "room of pain" we have a big ass amp for some loud music.

The smaller amplifier is mostly sourced by an online radio and that's fine. The big amp is connected to a PC. However, sometimes we want the PC not only to provide the big amp, but also the small one to have the same music everywhere.
We tried to put them in parallel with a special cable, but that almost killed one of the amps. It got really hot and the amp almost started catching fire.

Is there a way to put the two amps in series so that we can switch the smaller amp from radio to PC? Like this?

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1706321/amp.png

Can anyone please help me?

Thank you.

1. for short distance (less than 10m) you can use unbalanced audio distribution amplifier like: unbalanced distribution amplifier connect your pc soundcard output to input of this device. connect output of this device to each amp input

2. for long distances (up to 100m use  previous plus cat5 audio extender: connect output from audio distribution amplifier to input of  cat5 audio extender, then use cat5 cable to the destination, eventually connect output from cat5 audio extender box to the input of remote amplifier cat5 audio extender

3. if you require hi quality transport (read more expensive) and extra protection from interference and complete electrical isolation of two different locations (strongly suggested) you can use room media controllers or audio/video extenders with fiber optic transport like one from crestron or adderlink. (if you are interested I can suggest one)

Regards.

Reply #26
I thought they didn't sell those speakers without their own amp, but seems they do.
Generally...  Home stereo & home theater speakers are passive (requiring a separate amplifier) except for subwoofers which are active (AKA "powered").

Computer speakers are active.

Most studio monitors are active.

Most PA speakers are passive, although most of the major manufacturers offer a good selection of active speakers too.

Reply #27
@logicom: You do know that you are answering a 15 month old question instead of the one that was arbitrarily tacked onto this topic yesterday?

Reply #28
I thought they didn't sell those speakers without their own amp, but seems they do.
Generally...  Home stereo & home theater speakers are passive (requiring a separate amplifier) except for subwoofers which are active (AKA "powered").

Yeah, what I meant is that Bose usually packages these speakers with their own amp, so they don't really need to put out the specs.

Reply #29
@logicom: You do know that you are answering a 15 month old question instead of the one that was arbitrarily tacked onto this topic yesterday?

@pdq: I am aware of it. I am just trying to help by reading and answering the initial question/request