Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: [TOS #2] From: Should I convert all my audio to 256 AAC? (Read 1096 times) previous topic - next topic

[TOS #2] From: Should I convert all my audio to 256 AAC?

I rip to FLAC for a couple of reasons.

1st, I can directly play the FLAC file on my home network. I don't use any devices on the network that can't deal with FLAC so there's no reason to keep another lower quality copy around just to play.

2nd, in the lossy codec world I prefer OGG Vorbis, but I do occasionally wind up with a device that won't play Vorbis files. So, with my FLAC archive I can directly encode to whatever the target device supports. Vorbis for my portable DAP, mp3 for my car stereo, etc. This allows me to use devices that don't support my codec of choice, but when a device does support a modern codec I can use the space savings they afford. I almost ended up with a car stereo that would play AAC files and if I had bought it I could have then encoded to AAC to gain the advantages of that format over mp3, but the reviews for that stereo weren't as good.

3rd, CD's can get scratched by kids, eaten by dogs (it's happened!), burned in a fire, etc. Once converted to FLAC I have a perfect copy which I then backup on 2 separate machines at home, an external USB drive at home, and that I rsync with another machine of mine at my parent's house for off-site backup. With 3 local copies I also run a monthly checksum comparison between the 3 copies to monitor for drive errors to ensure I don't lose data that way.

4th, royalty free and open source. No one is going to come in and tell me I'm a criminal for using it. I have the source code and therefore will always be able to access my collection, even if the computer architecture changes. I can always port the code to any new platform that may emerge.

Anyway,

I'm now ripping my CD's to FLAC (for backup) and then converting the FLAC files to AAC True VBR 110.  The songs sound absolutely fantastic and it doesn't waste nearly as much space as 320 kbps. 

I personally hate Apple, but if you're determined to be subjugated under their tyranny then I would suggest converting to ALAC and just using that in your itunes library. You can transcode to AAC or whatever when you want to copy to your ipod, etc.