Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Convert APE to WAV, title+album displayed as ? for Chinese—how to fix? (Read 2734 times) previous topic - next topic

Convert APE to WAV, title+album displayed as ? for Chinese—how to fix?

when converting APE files to WAV, Title and Album information are displayed as question mark. (for Chinese words only)...how to handle this?please.

Reply #1
Upgrade to the latest version.
elevatorladylevitateme

Reply #2
Do you mean that foobar2000 shows them as question marks? Or some other player shows them?

Reply #3
Do you mean that foobar2000 shows them as question marks? Or some other player shows them?

Sorry. I mean when I playing them with WMplayer, the Title and Album will display as question marks. Yet if I open the WAV file with FB2K, everything is all right. Thanks.

Hi Shaky_snake,
I can't find a latest version than V1.1.10 at official website. Thanks.

Reply #4
Sorry. I mean when I playing them with WMplayer, the Title and Album will display as question marks. Yet if I open the WAV file with FB2K, everything is all right. Thanks.

fb2k writes ASCII only tags into LIST/INFO chunk, and Unicode ID3v2 tags into ID3 chunk.
WMP (and many other softwares supporting wave file tagging) handle only LIST/INFO chunk.

In your case, Chinese characters are not representable with ASCII encoding. Therefore, fb2k will put question marks (????) into LIST/INFO tag, and other softwares display it.

Reply #5
OK. I know how it comes now, then can you please tell me how to fix it? or where can I find some stuff such as patchs or plugin to handle? Thanks a lot.

Reply #6
IMHO it's not possible to write chinese characters into LIST/INFO tags. So, what do you want to patch?

Reply #7
OK. I know how it comes now, then can you please tell me how to fix it? or where can I find some stuff such as patchs or plugin to handle? Thanks a lot.

Character encoding used for LIST/INFO is inconsistent among softwares, and also there's no defined way for LIST/INFO to declare or obtain the character encoding in use.
ASCII can be considered as a greatest common divisor. I guess this is why fb2k limits to ASCII for LIST/INFO.
In other words, it's probably intentional and won't fix.

In short, you'd better use lossless formats with better tagging support, such as FLAC.