Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Facets+Queue Contents Editor: play continues after queue; how to stop? (Read 7132 times) previous topic - next topic

Facets+Queue Contents Editor: play continues after queue; how to stop?

I thought I had this one fixed earlier but apparently I didn't because it's happening again... With Facets, if I bring up the Queue Contents Editor (foo_queuecontents) and put one or more tracks in the playback queue via Queue Contents Editor, the tracks play through as normal but, when the last track has played, instead of glorious silence, another track starts playing that I certainly didn't select!  I just want whatever is in the Queue Contents Editor/playback queue to determine what plays and nothing else.  I've disabled all the double-click issues in Facets so it's nothing to do with that.

Zarty

Reply #1
The playback queue is simply a way to interject its tracks between whatever is in your current playlist, so it is normal for playback to continue from its last track to whatever was due to be played before the queue was populated.

Reply #2
I am not sure if i understood your problem correctly but i believe you missed the point of the playback queue: it is not an own playlist but is able able to collect tracks from one or more playlists to play them in the specified order. Take a deeper look and you will see that the playing tracks are still in the playlist and are being played there. So when your queue finishes, the playback continues in the playlist of the last queued track.

You can use case component to stop playback at the end of queue:
http://www.saunalahti.fi/cse/foobar2000/

Reply #3
Thanks for the tip about 'stop after queue'... That's a solution and I'm happy.  I'm not sure I did misunderstand actually.  It seems to me that it's more an issue of how someone wants to make use of a player and what their needs are.  The flexibility will hopefully be there to cater for different needs to a certain extent anyway and the 'stop after queue' component is evidence that I'm not the only one that has these kinds of needs.  I see filters and search features as ways to locate tracks you want to play, not to actually play the tracks.  Imagine if you are using Foobar2000 to DJ with... You spend a few hours topping up the queue with tracks that seem to suit the venue, the dancers present and the mood at the time.  Then at the end of your allocated spot, you organise it so your playback queue empties out... The last track plays and you're just about to leave yours chair for a well earned orange juice when the infamous "I'm a wanker" song bursts out of nowhere!  Not so bad but it's the Sunday School Christmas disco!  Oh boy.

Zarty

Reply #4
I see filters and search features as ways to locate tracks you want to play, not to actually play the tracks.
Yes! That’s what playlists are for! Notwithstanding that they can serve those roles too (e.g. autoplaylists), their raison d’être is to serve as…a list of songs that are to be played. The playback queue, in contrast, is an un(der)documented and rather Band Aid–y feature. Hence:

[scenario]
A playlist, in contrast to the playback queue, will preclude this right out of the box:
  • create a new playlist to serve as your selection of songs—or, if you will, your ‘queue’, and oh boy: aren’t those ironic quotation marks important!
  • add your initial track(s), which you can view and rearrange easily and without any additional components, as are required by the playback queue;
  • begin playback of the playlist;
  • and foobar2000 will proceed through all songs in the list, including those that you add or rearrange in the interim, whilst not introducing any potentially litigation-worthy surprises.

Reply #5
Thanks again.  Do you mean that once you have got your playlist arranged and started it playing that you then have to let it complete or can add/remove or alter the position of tracks while it is playing?

Zarty

Reply #6
Yes, a playlist can still be edited once you have started playing it. My point is that using a separate now-playlist playlist, rather than the playback queue, is much more flexible and provides all the functionality that you appear to desire (if I understand correctly). Create one; send songs to it from your other playlists (have you been using playlists only as stores of different genres, etc.?); and rearrange/delete as you wish, before or during playback. Once the last track ends, playback stops, so only songs that you have chosen will be played.

Reply #7
Ok, I see what you mean.  I've just beeen trying it out with the standard UI.  The story so far is I used Facet becase Facet panels could help me to easily search on my own custom tag with multiple values.  I really like that feature and I don't seem to be able to reproduce it without Facet... Can I?  Anyway, having started using Facet, it kind of lead me down the path of using the Queue Contents Editor. At the moment, I've unloaded Facet to play with standard Playlists and I must admit I wouild prefer to use the basic UI with playlists (because there are less complications)apart from the fact that I am still puzzled how to easily search/filter on my custom tag values. 

For example, I have a column called 'Custom' and in that I have my own personal section factors such as 'sos', 'over18' or whatever - any number per track  but probably not more than 6 in practice.  In facet, I can have a panel on <%custom%> and it allows me to filter with one click.  What I've seen so far in standard foobar is that I have to do a search query and thought of that query writing just to do what should ideally be a point and click exercise is kind of putting me off at the moment.  I am reminded of a reporting system I use at work... The filter criteria can be setup in a number of ways but, in the case of 6 or so variables, a checkbox list would be used.  It's usually inclusive (OR) so the more checkboxes you tick, the more results you get.  That's kind of thing I'm looking for here.

Cheers,
Zarty

Reply #8
Quite confused as to what you are doing. There is no reason for facets to naturally lead to using the queue and not standard playlists. There is no reason to unload facets in order to use standard playlists. They serve different purposes.

Facets is a media library viewer. Generally used to browse your library. Similarly, Album list is a media library viewer. Tracks found in whatever manner you wish are sent to a playlist. There they sit or there they start playing, your choice. Playlists are shown via a playlist renderer. That can be a single instance playlist viewer or a multiple instance viewer in a playlist tab interface. You should have version of both a library viewer and playlist viewer in your layout.

An image of your layout may clarify things.

Reply #9
Apologies for long post...

Quite confused as to what you are doing. There is no reason for facets to naturally lead to using the queue and not standard playlists. There is no reason to unload facets in order to use standard playlists. They serve different purposes.

Well, I can see what you're saying but not sure I agree with 'no reason to...'  It depends on what use you're putting Foobar to doesn't it?  I have read what you gentlemen have kindly advised me about this subject and I will certainly make better use of Playlists as a result.  However, after having given it quite a bit of thought and experiment, I think the Queue facility as presented by Query Contents Editor, is very useful when doing DJ sets.  What I didn't realise was all the associated issues that would crop up when using QCE.  Read on...

Facets is a media library viewer. Generally used to browse your library. Similarly, Album list is a media library viewer. Tracks found in whatever manner you wish are sent to a playlist. There they sit or there they start playing, your choice. Playlists are shown via a playlist renderer. That can be a single instance playlist viewer or a multiple instance viewer in a playlist tab interface. You should have version of both a library viewer and playlist viewer in your layout.

Thanks, the clarification. I now see the Library view and Playlist view and the significance of that.  I think that using the playback queue and the Queue Contents Editor (QCE) component has confused the heck out of me in terms of how it does or doesn't quite fit in the context of Foobar.  I still think it's a very good feature to have in Foobar for anyone wanting to DJ.  Guys, I have a degree in computer studies, have been a s/w developer and I'm working with very complex applications all the time.  I've even developed a few applications in my time.  Despite that, I am like a goof with Foobar!  Foobar isn't complicated but my base assumptions about how it works were plainly wrong.  My first thoughts when I first installed Foobar were along the lines of... {Oh yeh... Nice, clean interface... Loving it... Oh... Hang on, where the frick is the Playback Queue???? Phew, relax... Someone wrote a QCE component.  Hmmm... Why isn't QCE a core elemenet of Foobar2000?}  Well, were my thoughts entirely unreasonable?

I like the look of QCE because I can copy a load of tracks into it and it plays them out as queue would... In other words, the queue is served one at a time until it's empty.  To me, that make perfect sense and it's very functional in the context of basic DJing.  Therefore, I want to see a list of tracks played and absolutely NOTHING else! I do not want to run the risk of  'Barbara Carr - If You Can't Cut The Mustard...' playing at the school disco! However, I also need to use Playlists effectively too so QCE isn't the whole answer.  Now I understand more about this situation and have experimented more with using a Playlist as a kind of 'queue' as was suggested in this thread, I still want to use QCE if I can but, if I were to use Playlists as a kind of 'queue', I still have questions...

Facet Playlists
As a kind of 'queue', a Facet Playlist is not very good - unless there is some way to customise them to suit the purpose?  In the standard UI playlist, the 'Playing' column will at least show you what's playing.  I can't find a way to show the playing track in the Facet PlayList?  I would also need the Facet Playlist not to have the same panel/filter concept as the library.  It makes sense in the library but not much sense in the Playlist if you want to use it as a kind of 'queue'. The standard UI playlist is all that's required so if this could be replicated in the context of Facet, that would be ideal.  The other problem with Playlists in general (standard and Facet) is that they don't act like a queue should - they don't get shorter.  For any kind of DJing, it's much better if you start with a list and see that list diminish as the track that starts to be played goes off the queue.  As there is often a need to move tracks around to change the order, there's a high risk of playing the same track twice in a Playlist as opposed to a queue. Another gotcha is this.... If you're using Facet library and select a track with the aim of copying it the PlayList and you accidently select 'Send to PlayList', it wipes the Playlist out!!!  Oh my, oh my.  Not good.

Conclusions
I need to get to the point where I have a foobar configuration and a way of working that suits what I want to use it for.  I was on the wrong track thinking that I could use QCE without a clear understanding of how I could also use Playlists.  However, I'm still seeing a definite need to use QCE.  Please let me know your thoughts but how does it sound if I work in this way...

a) Use Facets for viewing/search and populate/edit Playlists ready for a DJ set (with backups!). 
There's no doubt that Facet is very good at sorting through tons of tacks to help create Playlists.
Is there a way to make a Facet Playlist look like a standard UI Playlist without the ('All') and include a Playing column?
Can the 'Send to Playlist' context menu items in Library view be removed?
Are there other things that can lockdown a Playlist to stop it being a victim of accidental wipe down 'features' that might be lurking in the system?  (I get stressed just thinking about it)

b) A little before the DJ set is about to begin, open QCE and copy all the tracks from the required Playlist into QCE (great care being taken to set Stop After Queue and, perhaps, Keep Queue.
[someone even suggested copying and pasting into the WinAmp Queue...  Maybe a good idea? :-)]

c) Start the set by playing the list in QCE - adjusting the order and generally editing the list of tracks that haven't yet played as the floor dictates.  Special Requests can be added to the Queue from the library (great care being taken to ensure that all double-click actions in the library do nothing and praying that the queue isn't wiped).

nb. I still have an other issue with multi value custom tags in Facet but I think it's better to get the main questions sorted out first.

Cheers,
Zarty

Reply #10
You might take at look at two components. Foo_utils and foo_playlist_attributes. You are correct that starting with foobar2000 and relying heavily on the 'queue' is a difficult track.

foo_utils, which will among other things, gives you the ability to keyboard shortcut any track to any playlist

Foo_playlist_attributes author has put together documentation which will explain capabilities. Basically, it will give you a much more functional 'now playing' playlist that can easily have a temp 'queue' for temporary inserting tracks to be played immediately and if one must, your queue can have a queue. All can gracefully fall back to the previous playlist if so desired or stop all together. You can define quite a bit of playlist behavior.

good luck

Reply #11
[quote name='tpijag' date='Oct 28 2011, 15:04' post='773668']

Thank you for the tips.  Playlist behavior setting is gap I spotted earliery today.  Facets Library behavior can be changed in some cases - like turning off or chaning double-click behaviour but not such options for Facets Playlists.  If I do use the Queue Contents Editor as THE queue, I really want to stop the Playlist from kicking off tracks with a double-click too.  I like the idea of keyboard hot keys to put tracks into the playlist.

Cheers,
Zarty

Reply #12
Sometimes it is very helpful to keep the terminology straight: I needed some time to discover what you mean with facets playlist. You probably don't mean the real playlist to which you can send tracks from facets by single/middle/doubleclick but a simple facets pane showing tracks. This listing is part of the library viewer and not a playlist. Now you simply can use the real facets playlist (take a look in the prefrences: [edit] it is called selection playlist[/edit]) to send or add tracks to this one playlist by middle or doubleclick. I am not sure but that must be what you are after: by doubleclick you can f.e. send the selection of any facets pane (also that one that contains tracks if you just want to add/send few tracks) to this playlist and by middleclick the selection inside facets will be added to this playlist without removing previous content. Now if apart from this facets playlist you like to have more playlists not for djing but for - let's say - an album or an artist you simply can create a new one by context menu.

Back to the facets playlist: you can use this facets playlist like the queue but you have no limitation. You can choose between different playback orders, you don't have queues limitation of 64 tracks. To remove the playing track you can use foo_playlistattributes option in the main menu -> playback. And now comes the best: if you ever feel the need to override the playbackorder in your facets playlist that you use for dj'ing you can use the playback queue: let's say shuffle order is enabled but you like to force three tracks to be played in a special order you can use the queue - or let' say you are tired of dj'ing and want to jump to some of the other playlist then you just have to queue a track in another playlist and after the current song ends the playback continues from the queued track and remains in that playlist. That is the origin purpose of the queue. I hope now it is clearer for what you have considered as strange: the continuing of playback after queue has finished.

You probably don't need the info but however it should be said: all the playlists you can create are the now playing playlist - it is foobar2000s concept of multiple playlists that is almost unique. Apart from foobar200 there are only AIMP and JRiver Media Center that offer multiple (now playing) playlists.

Reply #13
Sometimes it is very helpful to keep the terminology straight: I needed some time to discover what you mean with facets playlist. You probably don't mean the real playlist to which you can send tracks from facets by single/middle/doubleclick but a simple facets pane showing tracks. This listing is part of the library viewer and not a playlist. Now you simply can use the real facets playlist (take a look in the prefrences: [edit] it is called selection playlist[/edit]) to send or add tracks to this one playlist by middle or doubleclick. I am not sure but that must be what you are after: by doubleclick you can f.e. send the selection of any facets pane (also that one that contains tracks if you just want to add/send few tracks) to this playlist and by middleclick the selection inside facets will be added to this playlist without removing previous content. Now if apart from this facets playlist you like to have more playlists not for djing but for - let's say - an album or an artist you simply can create a new one by context menu.

Thank you, I understand a lot more - getting closer.  Part of my confusion was caused by the fact that I had somehow managed to get the playlists in Facets displayed as tabs and I think I even managed to rename the selection playlist.  I have put Facets back to the default toolbar layout but it's odd to me that you can't actually see other playlists that have been added.  I already had SimPlaylist loaded and that seems to be one way I can see the different Playlists and switch between them.  However, I still do not understand something because I can't see what you mean about the 'real playlist' as I just see 'playlists' and they all look the same.  See the screenshot below.

Back to the facets playlist: you can use this facets playlist like the queue but you have no limitation. You can choose between different playback orders, you don't have queues limitation of 64 tracks. To remove the playing track you can use foo_playlistattributes option in the main menu -> playback. And now comes the best: if you ever feel the need to override the playbackorder in your facets playlist that you use for dj'ing you can use the playback queue: let's say shuffle order is enabled but you like to force three tracks to be played in a special order you can use the queue - or let' say you are tired of dj'ing and want to jump to some of the other playlist then you just have to queue a track in another playlist and after the current song ends the playback continues from the queued track and remains in that playlist. That is the origin purpose of the queue. I hope now it is clearer for what you have considered as strange: the continuing of playback after queue has finished.

Sounds good but the only kind of playlist I can see doesn't have the ability to change the order and so on.  Here's the screenshot showing the Playlist selected from the Facets toolbar.

You probably don't need the info but however it should be said: all the playlists you can create are the now playing playlist - it is foobar2000s concept of multiple playlists that is almost unique. Apart from foobar200 there are only AIMP and JRiver Media Center that offer multiple (now playing) playlists.

It scares the heck out of me!  Might be something I could take advantage of when I get more experienced with Foobar but, right now, I would like a big 'off' button for that behaviour.  There's just too much scope for things to go wrong when you least want it to happen.

Thanks again,
Zarty

Reply #14
However, I still do not understand something because I can't see what you mean about the 'real playlist' as I just see 'playlists' and they all look the same.  See the screenshot below.

That's quite simple: you will see in foobar several elements/panels where tracks are listed but only one of them are playlists in the sense that this list is playable - the place where you can click a track and it will be played from this list. The playing track will be marked with a triangle. As you have more than one playlist in comparison to the most players in foobar it is common to differentiate between the playing playlist and the active one (the one you see). What i see in your screenshot is not a playlist - it is just a listing of tracks inside facets as a library viewer. From that list i can add tracks to a playlist as well as i can add genres, artists or a selection with a certain BPM.

Your layout simply doesn't contain a playlist view (default one or simplaylist). Add it it firstly: that is the most important at all. Now you can switch between different playlists with playlist tabs which i recommend you at the beginning before using playlist manager or playlist switcher. In fact they do the same but while the playlist manager uses a list the switcher uses a dropdown list.

I made a very long video for you over 6 minutes: the right side is the playback queue, the upper part of the left side is the library viewer facets that could be replaced with album list if you like and then the bottom part of the left side where all the different playlists are shown. Take your time to look what i make: how i use the default selection playlist, how i add tracks by clicking or by drag&drop, how a doubleclick sends the content to the default playlist, how i create new playlists, how i order tracks in the playlist, how i drag&drop tracks from one playlist to another, how i use the queue for forcing  a certain playback order/for jumping to another playlist and so on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GaGT2HZacNE

(if you know winamp please don't confuse the layout with winamp!! It is totally a different logic although it seems to be the same but it isn't by far. http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....&hl=winamp)

Edit
I just saw what the core of your problem might be: you are not using facets as library viewer but as playlist viewer because you set as source "playlist". So facets mirrors the content of your existing playlists. Forget that feature at the beginning: set as "library", add some folders to your library and manage them with facets.

Reply #15
Your layout simply doesn't contain a playlist view (default one or simplaylist). Add it it firstly: that is the most important at all. Now you can switch between different playlists with playlist tabs which i recommend you at the beginning before using playlist manager or playlist switcher. In fact they do the same but while the playlist manager uses a list the switcher uses a dropdown list.

Thank you so much for taking the time to make the video.  I knew something was missing!  The only problem for me now is that I just can't see how to make the layout to include the playlist section at the bottom left as it is in your video?  I can do 'View | Layout | enable layout editing mode' and through Quick Setup I can select, say, Quick Setup and select 'Simple Playlist + Tabs', which can give the tabbed playlists that I want but, then, the only way for me to see the Facet Library is to select from the Menu, Library | Facets.  But this just gives me a floating window, not docked as in your vid. 

I also don't see how to create the 'Queue' on the rights side.  As you said, it's the most important part of all to get the right elements in the layout but I don't know how.  When I've got the layout, I can start emulating what you are doing in the vid and that will be great practice.

I just saw what the core of your problem might be: you are not using facets as library viewer but as playlist viewer because you set as source "playlist". So facets mirrors the content of your existing playlists. Forget that feature at the beginning: set as "library", add some folders to your library and manage them with facets.

Yes, it seems you are right but I was just looking at 'Library' or 'Playlist' on the Facet toolbar so I just assumed that is what it meant.  I was clicking the button on the toolbar to switch between the Library view and what I thought was the Playlist view.  I knew something was wrong with what I was seeing as a Playlist but I didn't have any other information or feedback from the interface to get to the point that you've demonstrated in the vid.

Thanks again for your fantastic help.  I think I'm almost there.

Zarty

Reply #16
You are not locked into any of the predefined layouts.

Just get yourself into layout edit mode. Right click on various spots and change or delete stuff. If you need two or more panels in an area where there 'seems' to be only one, add a splitter and you got yourself more spots.

Reply #17
What you can do before you edit your main window is: call from main menu -> view -> layout the scratchbox. Play around here: begin with a rightclick, then add elements, remove them, replace them and so on. The best is to start with the splitters to divide the area into different parts where you can place other ui-elements. When you are satisfied with the result then go to the edit menu to apply the layout. Believe me: after some time you will be able to create each seen layout in one minute.

Until then you can use a simple layout similar to mine. Just download the fth.file, go to foobar2000 preferences -> display -> default user interface and import the theme. Go to facets preferences and assign some actions to doubleclick and middleclick. In my video you saw "send to selection playlist" for doubleclick and "add to selection playlist" for middleclick, but you are free to choose what best fit your needs. Advice: the only what you shouldn't do at the beginning (if not never because in my eyes it is evil) is to assign an action to the single click.

Edit
Another advice: it seems that you still believe that the queue and the queue contents editoris essential for you. While experimenting with the library-playlist-interaction in the beginning , try to forget the queue - any time later when you get used with the whole playlist stuff, you still can try out when and how to use the queue.

Edit2
The small layout in the theme contains a "manage loaded playlists" tab with subtabs: playlists (playlist manger - same like the playlist tabs), search in playlist (obvious what it does) and browse playlist (facets linked to the playlist). The latter one just helps to find tracks in a large playlist by selecting them.

Reply #18
That .fth file probably saved me a day, at least!  Busy playing around with it now.  Thank you for your great help and your patience too.  I'll keep you posted how I get on.

Zarty

Reply #19
Don't forget to play around in the scratchbox! 
In fact it is very easy to create a layout.
Here for help: http://wiki.hydrogenaudio.org/index.php?ti...ut_Editing_Mode

And don't forget foo_playlistattributes where you can set "remove played tracks" for either all playlists or for one/some specified (f.e. only the default) playlist.

Reply #20
I'll definitely do the scratchpad thing... I wasn't quite clear about what it could do until I just read your link.  Good idea.

Cheers,
Zarty

Reply #21
However, I still do not understand something because I can't see what you mean about the 'real playlist' as I just see 'playlists' and they all look the same.  See the screenshot below.

That's quite simple: you will see in foobar several elements/panels where tracks are listed but only one of them are playlists in the sense that this list is playable - the place where you can click a track and it will be played from this list. The playing track will be marked with a triangle. As you have more than one playlist in comparison to the most players in foobar it is common to differentiate between the playing playlist and the active one (the one you see). What i see in your screenshot is not a playlist - it is just a listing of tracks inside facets as a library viewer. From that list i can add tracks to a playlist as well as i can add genres, artists or a selection with a certain BPM.

I made a very long video for you over 6 minutes: the right side is the playback queue, the upper part of the left side is the library viewer facets that could be replaced with album list if you like and then the bottom part of the left side where all the different playlists are shown. Take your time to look what i make: how i use the default selection playlist, how i add tracks by clicking or by drag&drop, how a doubleclick sends the content to the default playlist, how i create new playlists, how i order tracks in the playlist, how i drag&drop tracks from one playlist to another, how i use the queue for forcing  a certain playback order/for jumping to another playlist and so on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GaGT2HZacNE

(if you know winamp please don't confuse the layout with winamp!! It is totally a different logic although it seems to be the same but it isn't by far. http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....&hl=winamp)

Edit

Hi all, Hi q-stankovic,

this topic is the best i've found on my questions about foobar which were almost identical to Zarty's! It's a common question that people who are new to foobar have: how to use a basic "now playing queue" as available in most players.
This discussion really cleared many things in my mind about the overall functionning. Thank you all for answering the questions and thank you also Zarty for being persevering with your questions. That is the way of a true seeker. !  Many times people will say things and how they should be but you kept on explaining calmly what you needed and what you didn't understand. And thanks again everybody for replying and helping. I will try to apply these and see if i can also use it easily.

I would have loved to see that video too. Now, some years later it's not there anymore (the link is not valid anymore). Is it still existing? q-stankovic do you still have it somewhere?  or could you do a similar one explainign these basic things? ("how i use the default selection playlist, how i add tracks by clicking or by drag&drop, how a doubleclick sends the content to the default playlist, how i create new playlists, how i order tracks in the playlist, how i drag&drop tracks from one playlist to another, how i use the queue for forcing  a certain playback order/for jumping to another playlist and so on.")

Adrien

Reply #22
I deleted my google account a year ago. Furthermore i don't have the video anymore. What i can do (when i have time in the next one or two weeks) is to create a new one, to upload it to my cloud (edit: or to the upload forum here) and to post the link here. I just need to reread the topic here to remember what the detailed purpose of the video was.