Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Track gain not recognized in Winamp (Read 2958 times) previous topic - next topic

Track gain not recognized in Winamp

I don't know which of the two of you are the problem, but for some reason track gain is not recognized in Winamp.  So it is possible that either or both programs are doing something wrong.

There is also a mismatch between Foobar2000 and Windows.  Often when I change tags, Windows no longer recognizes them, and in particular an imbedded album cover disappears.  But this is a smaller problem than the track gain, because I use track gain to maintain volume levels for a recreational dance group.

Unfortunately Foobar2000 is not a suitable player for what we want, but it is great for tagging and formatting the files to be played by Winamp.

Reply #1
There is also a mismatch between Foobar2000 and Windows.  Often when I change tags, Windows no longer recognizes them, and in particular an imbedded album cover disappears.
This is perhaps due to the already much-discussed fact that pre-1.1.6 versions of foobar2000 default to v2.4 ID3 tags. See the official site’s FAQ or the details of compatibility workarounds in 1.1.6 beta.

Reply #2
There is also a mismatch between Foobar2000 and Windows.  Often when I change tags, Windows no longer recognizes them, and in particular an imbedded album cover disappears.
This is perhaps due to the already much-discussed fact that pre-1.1.6 versions of foobar2000 default to v2.4 ID3 tags. See the official site’s FAQ or the details of compatibility workarounds in 1.1.6 beta.

I looked at the compatability workarounds and...

But what if I want to keep the existing tags, but just make them compliant?  Will reload info from files do that????  I have things like unicode characters in the title, but not in the file name.  Also some fields such as Artist are being used for special purposes such as the country name, while the artist is listed in the performers field.

I do not want the tags reloaded from web information, and most of the tracks are traditional folk material that is currently not available at all, so there is no web information.

"Reload info from files" does not specify what is actually happening, or what files it is reloading info from.

Reply #3
what if I want to keep the existing tags, but just make them compliant?
Assuming by you mean compliant with Windows Explorer, which only reads ID3v2.3 tags:
Right-click > MP3 tag types > Deselect ID3v2.4 and select ID3v2.3

Will reload info from files do that????…I do not want the tags reloaded from web information…Reload info from files" does not specify what is actually happening, or what files it is reloading info from.
It’s pretty much the Ronseal of menu options. It rescans the selected files for their metadata. This is useful in cases where the files have been changed by another application, etc. I’m unsure, but I think it’s only mentioned in that article for users who upgraded from earlier versions and needed to refresh the display of their tags.

Reply #4
I don't know which of the two of you are the problem, but for some reason track gain is not recognized in Winamp.

Winamp 5 can read the Foobar generated Replay Gain tracks just fine. This problem may be caused by Windows Explorer if you have let it to edit the tags anyhow. Windows Explorer does not support the TXXX tags (e.g. REPLAYGAIN_TRACK_GAIN). Windows Media Player may have the same problem, but I have not tested it.
More info: Topic: Windows Explorer in Windows 7 ruins TXXX frames, warning

There is also a mismatch between Foobar2000 and Windows. Often when I change tags, Windows no longer recognizes them, and in particular an imbedded album cover disappears. But this is a smaller problem than the track gain, because I use track gain to maintain volume levels for a recreational dance group.

This is probably caused by the ID3v2.4 format. (see the above link).

The new default format, ID3v2.3 should be compatible with Windows Explorer, but it does not change the TXXX behavior unless MS has fixed the problem. I have not tested Windows Explorer's tagging features since I posted my findings in the linked thread.

Reply #5
I don't know which of the two of you are the problem, but for some reason track gain is not recognized in Winamp.

Winamp 5 can read the Foobar generated Replay Gain tracks just fine. This problem may be caused by Windows Explorer if you have let it to edit the tags anyhow. Windows Explorer does not support the TXXX tags (e.g. REPLAYGAIN_TRACK_GAIN). Windows Media Player may have the same problem, but I have not tested it.
More info: Topic: Windows Explorer in Windows 7 ruins TXXX frames, warning

There is also a mismatch between Foobar2000 and Windows. Often when I change tags, Windows no longer recognizes them, and in particular an imbedded album cover disappears. But this is a smaller problem than the track gain, because I use track gain to maintain volume levels for a recreational dance group.

This is probably caused by the ID3v2.4 format. (see the above link).

The new default format, ID3v2.3 should be compatible with Windows Explorer, but it does not change the TXXX behavior unless MS has fixed the problem. I have not tested Windows Explorer's tagging features since I posted my findings in the linked thread.

I have a huge number of MP3 tracks with track replay gain, and Winamp V5.58 and 5.61 do not recognize more than a handful.  I will experiment with the 1.16 Beta 2 Foobar and see what I can come up with.  I NEVER edit tags with Windows explorer.  So far I have used Foobar 99% of the time.  Thank You

Reply #6
Technically the Replay Gain tags should be compatible. I can't make them fail. I just tried a bunch of various MP3 files that were were RG analyzed and tagged with foobar2000. The RG tags displayed correctly in the File Info window (Winamp v.5.61). Though I didn't use the Winamp database. I just dragged & dopped the files into Playlist Editor.

Reply #7
I found a few old files that do not display the RG tags in Winamp after analyzing and saving the RG tags with foobar.

The files had ID3v2.4 tags with ISO-8859-1 encoding. Normally foobar uses UTF-8 encoding when it writes ID3v2.4 tags (at least when the files don't have any old tags) and I guess the files now contain mixed character encodings and that may cause the problem in Winamp.

However the new default tag version in v.1.1.6 beta should correct also this problem. You would just need to resave the tags once.

Reply #8
The latest Beta 2 version seems to work OK at fixing the tags.  So now Winamp and Windows seem to decode things well.  I haven't tested the album covers, but that is an extremely low to nonexistant priority.