Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: change gain per track (Read 2707 times) previous topic - next topic

change gain per track

I have the following problem: I have a cd-rip in FLAC. On the cd I ripped 1 track is badly damaged. All tracks are good, apart from the 1 damaged track of course.
I could not find the entire album to replace but I did find the 1 track I want to replace.
What I did is simply remove the corrupted track and replace it with the good, so far so good, all files are OK now.

BUT (there is allways a BUT!), there is a difference in gain between the original tracks and the new one 

Foobar shows the following info:

Original tracks:

track gain: -7.96dB
album gain: -7.96dB
track peak: 1.000000

New track:

track gain: -0.85dB
album gain: -0.85dB
track peak: 0.761627

Is there any way to fix this?

change gain per track

Reply #1
I tried this:

G:\>metaflac --replay-gain 1.flac 2.flac 3.flac 9.flac 10.flac 11.flac 12.flac 13.flac

but got this in return:

metaflac: unrecognized option `--replay-gain'

(metaflac is in the directory)

change gain per track

Reply #2
found that I did not use the "add" in the above command. Problem "unrecognized option" is solved but the result is the same difference in gain.

change gain per track

Reply #3
Everything else being equal (which so far we can only assume to be true), your "new" file was wavegained.
There is nothing to worry about it if you are going to use replaygain-aware players. Else, you need to revert the gain of this file (you won't get the exact same track, since gaining in these cases is not reversible, but close enough) or apply the gain to the rest.

change gain per track

Reply #4
If the two track gain values are from the same CD track then the louder one is a different more compressed version. Possibly it is a newer remastered version.

It is not possible to adjust the gain of the quieter file by +7.11 dB without causing severe clipping. I didn't use a calculator, but I'd say that the new peak value would be close to 1.7.

EDIT

It would be possible to adjust the "new" file about +2 dB (without causing clipping) and all other files about -5 dB with an audio editor to fix the discrepancy. It would not make the quieter file more compressed, but maybe the possibly remaining audible difference would not be big after the volume level difference is fixed.