Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Can i talk into my PC with NO microphone? (Read 16534 times) previous topic - next topic

Can i talk into my PC with NO microphone?

Unfortunately, my laptop does NOT have a built-in mic. I'm wondering if i can get Skype (or other VOIP software) to recognize a voice withOUT the need of a mic. I tried using text-to-speech, but Skype will NOT work with it. Is there a virtual/software mic i can use?? Some help would be great.

Thanks in advance

Reply #1
One possibility would be to get a USB sound card (I have seen them for < $10) and plug a microphone into it.

Reply #2
...or just use a USB mic, if he's going to have to end up buying something.

Reply #3
You say no built-in mic, but does it have a mic input? If so just buy a mic.

Reply #4
get one of those usb gaming headsets with the microphone, skype normally works with those perfectly

Reply #5
how much do you care whether your PC hears you? 
God kills a kitten every time you encode with CBR 320

Reply #6
I think he's asking how to get Skype to use something other than a mic as an input source, such as the output from an application.

Reply #7
Unless the USB headset is cordless, i do NOT want it. Stereo Bluetooth headsets are expensive, as are wireless ones, and they're harder to find...
Is there a way a program (i.e. Skype) can detect the sound a microphone picks up from my laptop's speakers?

I think he's asking how to get Skype to use something other than a mic as an input source, such as the output from an application.

Yep, that's about right, how can i get Skype to use the output of a program as an input source during a call??

Reply #8
I assume you're using Windows? A quick Google for "audio routing windows" led me to a couple of programs that seem to be designed for this purpose--JACK and Virtual Audio Cable--and there may be others you could try. Let me know how they look! (Well, sound.)

Reply #9
If you already own a bluetooth-headset, just by an usb-bluetooth adapter (it's half the size of a cent and cheap). This works for me.

Reply #10
I tried Virtual Audio Cable, and it works fine, i have to choose "Virtual Audio Cable 1" as Input for Skype, and "Virtual Audio Cable 1" for Output in Windows XP Text-to-Speech applet. At first, i could NOT hear anything, but i need to use Audio Repeater, set Wave In To VAC 1 and Wave Out to my sound card, and that does the trick. Now, if i could only get a program to detect the sound a microphone picks up from speakers (withOUT recording it), i'd be made....

Reply #11
Now, if i could only get a program to detect the sound a microphone picks up from speakers (withOUT recording it), i'd be made....

You will either need to get a microphone or be VERY handy with a soldering iron.  Yes, speakers can theoretically act as microphones but they would need to wired to a mic IN.  You cannot magically turn your speaker outputs into mic inputs.
"You can fight without ever winning, but never win without a fight."  Neil Peart  'Resist'