Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: ROTFL @ MacroVision (Read 8383 times) previous topic - next topic

ROTFL @ MacroVision

Reply #25
If one buys a license, I don't see any reason to buy it every time the fragile media is scratched...

Was out of town on business for a couple of days and had no Internet connection (ouch - it felt like a cold turkey ) so sorry for the late reply.

Anyway I think NumLOCK's quote summarizes it best! Record companies tell me that when my cd is broken i have to buy a full version so to me that means I can do whatever is legally allowed with the cd and i own the property rights. I never said I owned the complete rights to the music, hell then I would be really rich, we all would !

The problem for me today is that a music company today can't seem to embrace the fact that music can be played on other things then a standard home cd player. And instead of looking at solutions they're just doing away with the problem forcing us into a narrow path of usage, instead of allowing us to enjoy the product in all ways possible.

But David has a firm point though, I know lots of people who are actually willing to buy cd's but refrain from doing so because their car-cd player chokes on them for instance. Now with my new Plextor who reads through everything I am very tempted however to start bying those damn things again - even if they're "read-protected" (all I want is MP3's on my MP3 player, not sharing)...
No inspiration

ROTFL @ MacroVision

Reply #26
I think i know their plan... The current format is "too good" for users to consider switching, so making damaged discs and at the same time embracing a new "copy control friendly" format (SACD, DVD-A) will work for them, as the people buying the new format will have no problems, but those using "the old CD" will always have issues, more and more as time passes.

With time, the masses will simply switch, and discard cds as being "too problematic".

If you want to campaign, be sure to call the discs "damaged", as in "The Recording Industry is producing DAMAGED discs in hopes to make it harder for common people to make copies".

I am thinking in getting as far as to tell everyone "Don't buy original discs anymore, they are coming DAMAGED". (This works for us living in countries where you can buy burned stuff on the streets).

"Copy protected, copy controlled, will make the people think away and fall to the media buzzwords that "copying is evil, etc, etc)" which is not the real issue at hand.

This is a nice page to point people to: http://ukcdr.org/issues/cd/
She is waiting in the air

ROTFL @ MacroVision

Reply #27
I am thinking in getting as far as to tell everyone "Don't buy original discs anymore, they are coming DAMAGED". (This works for us living in countries where you can buy burned stuff on the streets).

That's the last thing I would want to do. If some of the record companies can be counted as "evil", then I dread to think what some of the guys selling on the street can be called! Some may be just geeks making a fast buck, but others probably make the worst people you know look like saints.

I think you have a worrying and likely point about the industry degrading CDs to push us all onto another format. But these kind of tactics don't always work in the way that the industry that pushes them hopes that they will.

Cheers,
David.

ROTFL @ MacroVision

Reply #28
Well i was thinking it would be a shock to make people think on the issue more seriously, they would never expect such a comment, do they? What is the Recording Industry doing so bad that even what they fight most can be our only salvation? Something like that, a wake up call, less words, more impact
She is waiting in the air