Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Do the Pink Floyd 'PULSE' DVDs contain LPCM tracks? (Read 8603 times) previous topic - next topic

Do the Pink Floyd 'PULSE' DVDs contain LPCM tracks?

Hello.
I am considering the purchase of Pink Floyd's PULSE concert on DVD. Can someone please tell me if the DVDs in the set contain LPCM audio tracks? If yes, then can you please tell me if the songs on the DVD set are the same as those on the CD?
If the answers to both questions are 'yes', then I will buy the DVD set to replace my badly scratched CDs.

On the flip side, does anyone know of any disadvantages of ripping LPCM DVD tracks to FLAC files? Besides the relatively complex ripping process, I guess there shouldn't be other disadvantages. But, please feel free to point out any potential problems that one might encounter after the ripping/encoding process is complete.

Thanks.

Reply #1
if you want to make an audio cd, then you will have to resample 48->44.1, but audio cd's are pretty much past..., so.
PANIC: CPU 1: Cache Error (unrecoverable - dcache data) Eframe = 0x90000000208cf3b8
NOTICE - cpu 0 didn't dump TLB, may be hung

Reply #2
I have the DVD (but not the CD) and I can check it out when I get home (if nobody has answered by then).

On the flip side, does anyone know of any disadvantages of ripping LPCM DVD tracks to FLAC files? Besides the relatively complex ripping process, I guess there shouldn't be other disadvantages. But, please feel free to point out any potential problems that one might encounter after the ripping/encoding process is complete.
No.  CDs are 44.1kHz, 16-bit, and LPCM on DVDs is 48kHz 16-bit.  Otherwise the formats are the same.  A FLAC from the DVD will be slightly larger and have theoretically higher quality.

Even if it doesn't have LPCM, Dolby AC3 can sound amazing (especially in 5.1 surround).  The sound quality can be excellent even if you convert from AC3 and downsample from 48kHz to 44.1kHz to make a CD.  The sound quality depends more on the production than on the format.  (I recorded the audio from the Pulse VHS tape before I had the DVD...  I think it sounds pretty good!)

BTW - when I "rip" a concert, I make a full-concert file and I make individual song tracks.  On the individual tracks I fade-in and fade-out the applause so the songs sound OK when played individually.  (Often, this involves mixing-in some applause from another part of the recording.)

P.S.
Wikipedia has the track listing[/u] for the DVD.  It is different from the CD.

Reply #3
As luck would have it, I'm currently in the long process of ripping my DVDs.  Since I've yet to settle on an encoding method, they are still in original .vob format.  Checking the the audio on the Pulse DVD was therefore a piece of cake.  Anyway, its got a 192Kb/s stereo mix, a standard 448Kb/s 5.1 mix, and a "high quality" 640Kb/s 5.1 mix.  No LPCM.

Further, as DVDdoug mentioned, the CD and DVD are very different.  The DVD is the entire concert from one of their nights at Earls Court, whereas the CD is a mix of songs taken from a variety of shows. 

Reply #4
BTW - when I "rip" a concert, I make a full-concert file and I make individual song tracks.  On the individual tracks I fade-in and fade-out the applause so the songs sound OK when played individually.  (Often, this involves mixing-in some applause from another part of the recording.)

What are you using as a player?  Some hardware media streamers (squeezebox) and PC media jukebox software (J.River Media Center) can be set up to do "intelligent crossfading".  It's a great feature.  What this means is that when tracks are played in order from an album, no crossfading is applied, but when a mix is played, a crossfade is applied.

This feature eliminates the need for what you are doing with your concert recordings, which sounds like a pretty painful process.

I think this would only be an issue when loading up a CD changer and hitting "shuffle".  That seems quaint now :-).

Reply #5
Thanks for your replies, everyone. Looks like I will end up buying both the CD and the DVDs.

However, I have one huge gripe with the CD - the packaging. My CDs came in a stupid book-like package with the CDs tucked into a sleeves. The sleeves were in full contact with the CDs' reflective surfaces, and had no plastic hub / elevation to prevent those CDs from getting scratched. What's worse, one of the CDs was 'stuck' inside the envelope and I had t force it out, during which, it got scratched further. I mean, why would anyone sell CDs in inane packages such as this? I am furious, to say the least.

If the CDs being sold now come in the same package, I won't buy them for sure.

Reply #6
My CDs came in a stupid book-like package with the CDs tucked into a sleeves.

Sure, but it has a blinking LED! At least mine did. I even bothered to replace the battery in it once or twice, just to drive my girlfriend nuts.

In any case, buy the concert DVD. It's legen...wait for it... dary!

Reply #7
What are you using as a player? Some hardware media streamers (squeezebox) and PC media jukebox software (J.River Media Center) can be set up to do "intelligent crossfading". It's a great feature. What this means is that when tracks are played in order from an album, no crossfading is applied, but when a mix is played, a crossfade is applied.
I fully agree that there are other options...

Actually, I use Winamp with the SqrSoft crossfade plug-in.  However, I have it set-up to overlap without actually fading-in and fading-out (A DJ-style "crossfade").    The way I have it set up, I don't really need to keep the original full-concert copy...  It sounds natural with the live songs played in any sequence (and it sounds OK when live & studio recordings are randomly mixed).    But, I choose to keep the original full-concert too, including any talking between songs.

I don't want fade-in/fade-out automatically added to everything...  Some songs are supposed to "start hard" and/or "end cold"...  In fact, fade-outs are one of my pet-peeves with studio recordings....  Real music (live music) doesn't fade out!!!  Of course, real music doesn't "overlap" either, (and isn't "gapless"), so I guess it's a matter of taste...

...which sounds like a pretty painful process.
It takes a few hours, but some of us actually enjoy audio editing!!!

However, I have one huge gripe with the CD - the packaging....
On a few accasions, I've "re-packaged" CDs in jewel cases.

Reply #8
It takes a few hours, but some of us actually enjoy audio editing!!!

I understand that.    I do too, which is why I have done a large amount of lp transfers over the last 10 years.