Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: I know it\'ll cause arguments but... (Read 3552 times) previous topic - next topic

I know it\'ll cause arguments but...

I’m using Oggdrop at a quality setting of 6.0, which is a nominal bitrate of 192. Just as a rough estimate what kind of bitrate would an MP3 be to achieve the same quality?

Reply #1
You know I actually doubt that it will cause that many arguments. All accept for some isolated samples Vorbis gives quite good results. And even though it would be a significant jump in bitrate for MP3 to provide the same over all auality we are really only talking 30 to 50Kbps more. This is of course in the midrange and up for bitrates. Say 128Kbps+. Below 128Kbps Vorbis completely blows MP3 away and even rubs WMA's nose in the mud.

Reply #2
From what I have seen on the Vorbis mailing list I would say that is around a 320kbps MP3, around the very high end.

Reply #3
Originally posted by Neo Neko
Below 128Kbps Vorbis completely blows MP3 away and even rubs WMA's nose in the mud.

And MP3Pro's too