Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Further exposure for FLAC (Read 3518 times) previous topic - next topic

Further exposure for FLAC

FLAC gets some additional free promotion in this BBC article!

Reply #1
Many fans of classical music have previously shunned MP3 downloads because of disappointing quality.
In case of cbr-320 this is most likely the typical placebo point, from the typically elitist classical music listeners, but who cares. For archiving purposes (and transcoding) I need lossless anyway.

"Online music stores have typically offered MP3s at 128kbps, ie very compressed files, which is fine for pop music but it's not exactly high-fidelity," he said.
Well, rather bullshit. I've never seen such crap stores and I'd say 128 kbps mp3 due to being very artifacts prone isn't fine for any kind of music.

Hopefully Passionato has something more to offer other than the recording companies you typically find on the web (Naxos etc...).
I don't care about the lossless format, unless it's not DRM infected.

www.chandos.co.uk is another fine place, not only for people who like british composers. They offer WMA lossless.

Reply #2
The BBC "lost" the ability to distinguish between PR and journalism a long time ago.
Passionato Ltd is a "resource" [like a wiki?] hoping to "boost the classical music industry"; not a regular business trying to make some retail cash. No, no.

C.

[EDIT: for clarity]
PC = TAK + LossyWAV  ::  Portable = Opus (130)

Reply #3
Many fans of classical music have previously shunned MP3 downloads because of disappointing quality.
They shun the BBC's 64-192kbps mp2 broadcasts for similar reasons!

Cheers,
David.

Reply #4
Despite the BBC's bad choice of words and lack of understanding about the advancement of mp3 technology and being able to achieve virtually transparent music and low bitrates, this is great news that there is a new classical music store out there that sells music in lossless quality...

It also looks like the publicity has brought them a few problems as well, considering the first time i connected to the site i got this page

Oh well, good luck to them and long live FLAC!!!