Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Optimized Versions of OGGENC RC3 (Read 11262 times) previous topic - next topic

Optimized Versions of OGGENC RC3

Reply #25
Holy Sh17! A 5 minute 30 second song in 1 minute 24 seconds!? I like!

Reply #26
OMFG! :eek: It gets better a 9 minute song in 1 minute 42 seconds.

---===bliss===---

Reply #27
i think there's bug in the Optimized compile....
it always stop at 99.9%
any explaination?
fyi. i'm using P3 450Mhz/ BX Chipset Board + 256MB SDRAM

Opening with wav module: WAV file reader
Encoding "track08.wav" to
        "track08.ogg" at quality 5.00
Encoding with VBR
        [ 99.9%] [ 0m00s remaining] -

Done encoding file "track08.ogg"

File length:  5m 02.0s
        Elapsed time: 2m 22.0s
        Rate:        2.1285
        Average bitrate: 154.2 kb/s

Reply #28
i think there's bug in the Optimized compile....
it always stop at 99.9%
any explaination?
fyi. i'm using P3 450Mhz/ BX Chipset Board + 256MB SDRAM

Opening with wav module: WAV file reader
Encoding "track08.wav" to
        "track08.ogg" at quality 5.00
Encoding with VBR
        [ 99.9%] [ 0m00s remaining] -

Done encoding file "track08.ogg"

File length:  5m 02.0s
        Elapsed time: 2m 22.0s
        Rate:        2.1285
        Average bitrate: 154.2 kb/s

Reply #29
I think its a general bug, it happens in the official oggenc too.
In all cases the file is fully encoded(have you found otherwise?). It just appears to be a minor bug that occasionally it displays 99.9% rather than 100%, perhaps its related to the size of file encoding but i have not confirmed that.

Please do let me know if you think there are any problems.

Thanks
Alex

Reply #30
Just for the record, I have the same experience and opinion as Alex.

john33

Reply #31
I have yet to have a freez with either oggenc or the CDeX DLL. So it would apper that it does not affect everybody.

I am really loving this optimised DLL though. Just got my old computer set up as a network controllable Vorbis jukebox. Getting ready to hook it to my sterio and rock out with XMMS. 30 albums done over night. w00t!

Reply #32
how about a link to the source, so we can compile it ourselves?

Reply #33
The modifications on the source are already at my page.

All you'll have to do is get the rest of the vorbis sources, and the CDex Vorbis.dll specification. Mix them together skillfully, and you'll get a nifty DLL to play with. 

Regards;

Roberto.

Reply #34
Actually, the DLL source on Roberto's page is complete. You don't need anything else from the CDex code. In order to compile just the DLL, you will need the ogg and vorbis modules from the CVS. If you want to compile oggenc, you will also need vorbis-tools, and if you want  to compile oggdrop, you will need win32-tools. If you wish to compile my modified oggdrop, the code on Roberto's page replaces the source in the official oggdrop directory.

Is that clear? Or, have I confused the issue?

john33

Reply #35
John:

I am not familiar with the code. Do your sources compile under linux? Of course I am not interested in the dll but in oggenc. I would like to move the 4.99 threshold up and down and make some new graphs. would be interesting to compare them with the official RC3.

AGS.

P.S. BTW, which sources/link are the ones we talk about? Roberto's pages has grown too big and I am not sure what is what. Roberto, hint

Reply #36
AGS

The sources used for oggenc are the original sources from the CVS without any changes. So, if the RC3 sources compile under Unix/Linux, which I'm sure they do, then there will be no problem with the latest ones. The main sources are not on Roberto's page, that only has the amended sources.

You can either get them from the CVS at xiph.org or you can get a nightly snapshot which has all oggvorbis modules in it. If you go to vorbis.com, you can follow the links (developers).

Any other Questions? 

john33

Reply #37
You mean the cvs version has an option for placing the change from lossy to lossless channel coupling wherever I want? Out of the -q 5 where it is now?

AGS

Reply #38
Sorry, misunderstood!! I think you will need a response from Alex. I don't think his code is on Roberto's page. I can't think why it shouldn't compile under Linux, though.

john33

Reply #39
Sorry I havent been able to post much recentley, works rather busy.

In response to AGS:

To modify the channel coupling settings go into the vorbislibmodes folder and look for file psych_44.h

Open the file and go down to the bottom, you should see a block of code below /* stereo ****************/

static int _psy_stereo_point_dB_44 is an array of 11 values, corresponding to -q values 0 - 10, in this array 0 will give lossless coupling, 1, 2 and 3 give increasingly lossy coupling.

static double _psy_stereo_point_kHz_44 is also an array controlling the coupling stereo point.

Setting all values to 0 in static int _psy_stereo_point_dB_44 will give lossless coupling at all -q values

If you want to use lossy channel coupling at upto -q 6 then I would suggest you could try this.

/* stereo ****************/
static int _psy_stereo_point_dB_44[11]={3,  3,  2,  2,  1,  1,  1,  0,  0,  0,  0};
static double _psy_stereo_point_kHz_44[2][11]={
  {4., 6., 6., 6., 10., 10., 10., 4., 4., 4., 4.},
  {6., 6., 6., 10., 10., 10., 10., 4., 4., 4., 4.}
};

you may want to experiment with other settings to test diffrent degrees of lossy coupling.

Im sure Monty could give a much better explanation, but hopefully that good enough, the changes really arent very difficult.

Again Im sorry about the lack of posts just so busy, I know I promised some listening results from various codecs. I shall post these within a week.

Reply #40
TNX, I am playing already with that (had to overcome some compilation problems). But do you have any clue about what is:

double _psy_stereo_point_kHz_44 ?

That files has very little comments. After reading it I have the feeling that it is selfexplanatory for thouse that have some idea about what is going on, but partially cryptic for newcomers.

Do you know if there is anything written somewhere else that will give me better understanding?

Cheers, AGS.

Reply #41
I believe double _psy_stereo_point_kHz_44 sets the frequency`s at which lossy coupling is applied.

One value sets the level for high frequency sound and the other sets the value for low frequency. Above and below these values lossy coupling is applied.

Hopefully that makes sense.