Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Lame 3.98 beta 6 (Read 169357 times) previous topic - next topic

Lame 3.98 beta 6

Reply #25
@ /mnt

Well, that is interesting... because I abx'ed Nero-Latest with EIG even at ~300kbps. It's truly a killer codec sample. For OGG, you used aoTuV-latest?

Lame 3.98 beta 6

Reply #26
@ /mnt

Well, that is interesting... because I abx'ed Nero-Latest with EIG even at ~300kbps. It's truly a killer codec sample. For OGG, you used aoTuV-latest?

Yeah I used the latest aoTuV ogg encoder at q6 and got 242kbps.
"I never thought I'd see this much candy in one mission!"

Lame 3.98 beta 6

Reply #27
Did someone try the new 3.98b6??
That makes bigger file than old 3.98b6~

Lame 3.98 beta 6

Reply #28
I did some quick ABX testing with "Hoobastank - Better" and "Red Hot Chili Peppers - Easily" (which both have been problem samples for my ears as they contain a lot of hi-hat) and while I could always ABX 10/10 with 3.97 -V2 --vbr-new, I haven't been able to get better than 14/20 and 13/20 with 3.98b6 -V2. Keep up the tuning and the good work!

For some reason I was under the impression that there weren't going to be significant changes between 3.98b5 and 3.98 final... and then I saw this. Would you (the collective you) recommend waiting for the final version to do any serious re-encoding?

Lame 3.98 beta 6

Reply #29
There is no "official" 3.98 beta 6 yet. I'll let you know when it's done.

Lame 3.98 beta 6

Reply #31
There is no "official" 3.98 beta 6 yet. I'll let you know when it's done.

Phew! I was wondering when someone of the devs was about to react. IMHO, not a good move to test a half-finished release. Especially with the new VBR tunings half-done it caused a lot of havoc. 

I think we all have to quickly forget about these ABX results in this thread for now...

Lame 3.98 beta 6

Reply #32
I appear to have jumped the gun slightly, here, quite unintentionally.  I reacted to the uplift of the version number in 'version.h', which did not seem unreasonable, and I have to question the wisdom of doing that prior to the release being ready.

Lame 3.98 beta 6

Reply #33
well until now the release version is usually the last thing to be updated prior to "release" - that's how i've always checked out lame in the past

but i agree, something more official would be ideal

later

Lame 3.98 beta 6

Reply #34
what's next after 3.98 ? Lame 4.0 ??

Lame 3.98 beta 6

Reply #35
what's next after 3.98 ? Lame 4.0 ??

Good question.  However, 4.0 has always been and, as far as I know, still is Takehiro's baby and that branch has been inactive for the best part of two years!!  So, it's any ones guess, I think. It would be good if he found the time/interest to revive it as it was a radical redesign.

Lame 3.98 beta 6

Reply #36
i'm looking forward to 3.100 - that's going to be interesting

Lame 3.98 beta 6

Reply #37
no sarcasms accepted... I have seen this 4.0 branch and wonder why what was it...

Lame 3.98 beta 6

Reply #39
I get bigger files with lame 3.98b6
I'm listening mostly to louder music, metal/hardrock and rock influenced

Is 3.97 or 3.98b6 better for metal?

Lame 3.98 beta 6

Reply #40

Given some of the results listed in this thread and that the 3.98b6 isn't official, I would wait for the official next beta and see how that compares.

Lame 3.98 beta 6

Reply #41
I'm new here so I'm just a little confused - why would there be a Lame 3.98 beta 6 bundle available for download on rarewares if no "official" Lame 3.98 beta 6 is out yet?  Would that be like a beta to the beta? 

BTW, I'm using the recent 3.98 beta 6 from rarewares and it seems to work pretty well for me - but I'll keep checkign back for the final version.

Lame 3.98 beta 6

Reply #42
I'm new here so I'm just a little confused - why would there be a Lame 3.98 beta 6 bundle available for download on rarewares if no "official" Lame 3.98 beta 6 is out yet?  Would that be like a beta to the beta? 

BTW, I'm using the recent 3.98 beta 6 from rarewares and it seems to work pretty well for me - but I'll keep checkign back for the final version.

By way of explanation: The source code is freely available from the LAME project on Sourceforge. The LAME project, per se, does not provide compiled executables for people, such as yourself, to download, people such as I download the latest source code, compile it and offer the resultant executables for people to download and use. In the case of LAME, the version numbering is controlled by one of the library header files, namely - version.h. Historically, this is the last file to be updated as a new release is made. However, in this instance, it would appear that the version number was uplifted in anticipation of the new release. As a consequence I, not unreasonably, I think based upon the history of this, assumed that this was a full, new beta release and announced it as such. On this occasion, apparently the release was not ready!!

There have been some changes since the last compile was made available, but given what has just occurred, I am hesitant to provide any fresh compiles until it is clear that the beta release is complete.

Lame 3.98 beta 6

Reply #43

I am finding LAME 3.98 beta to be better for Metal and Hard Rock at V2, I can ABX a few Metal and Hard Rock tracks on LAME 3.97 while I find them transparent on LAME 3.90.3 (preset standard) and LAME 3.98 beta (V2). Also the drums on Metal and Rock is more prone to preecho and LAME 3.98b is less prone to preecho artifacts then LAME 3.97.
"I never thought I'd see this much candy in one mission!"

Lame 3.98 beta 6

Reply #44

By way of explanation: The source code is freely available from the LAME project on Sourceforge. The LAME project, per se, does not provide compiled executables for people, such as yourself, to download, people such as I download the latest source code, compile it and offer the resultant executables for people to download and use. In the case of LAME, the version numbering is controlled by one of the library header files, namely - version.h. Historically, this is the last file to be updated as a new release is made. However, in this instance, it would appear that the version number was uplifted in anticipation of the new release. As a consequence I, not unreasonably, I think based upon the history of this, assumed that this was a full, new beta release and announced it as such. On this occasion, apparently the release was not ready!!

There have been some changes since the last compile was made available, but given what has just occurred, I am hesitant to provide any fresh compiles until it is clear that the beta release is complete.

Thanks for the explanation and all your hard work John... I'll keep checking rarewares for the new build with the full beta - in the meantime I'll keep using the 3.98 beta 6 that you put up on the 22nd.

Lame 3.98 beta 6

Reply #45
I hope we will see final this year

Lame 3.98 beta 6

Reply #46
Thanks for the explanation and all your hard work John... I'll keep checking rarewares for the new build with the full beta - in the meantime I'll keep using the 3.98 beta 6 that you put up on the 22nd.

But isn't that a bad idea as the "beta6" was created in the midst of some important (but not yet completed) tuning changes from beta5. Wouldn't it be better to stick to the official beta5 and take down the unofficial beta6 from rarewares as some tunings may be still broken?
Proverb for Paranoids: "If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about answers."
-T. Pynchon (Gravity's Rainbow)

Lame 3.98 beta 6

Reply #47

But isn't that a bad idea as the "beta6" was created in the midst of some important (but not yet completed) tuning changes from beta5. Wouldn't it be better to stick to the official beta5 and take down the unofficial beta6 from rarewares as some tunings may be still broken?

Good point... I'd like to know if the unofficial Beta 6 is best to use for -V 0 --vbr-new or if I should be using Beta 5 or even 3.97 final... I'm about to rip a lot of albums and I'd hate to end up redoing it later.

Lame 3.98 beta 6

Reply #48
New 3.98b6 came out at rarewares on 2007-11-01.
is that official?

Lame 3.98 beta 6

Reply #49
New 3.98b6 came out at rarewares on 2007-11-01.
is that official?

Not as far as I know, it's just the latest CVS build, but I think it fixes one or two things.