Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Bit-identical output via USB with Foobar and Windows XP (Read 5994 times) previous topic - next topic

Bit-identical output via USB with Foobar and Windows XP

Does anyone know how to bypass Kmixer for a bit-identical output to a USB DAC using Foobar and Windows XP?  Nothing I have tried works properly.

Reply #1
Does anyone know how to bypass Kmixer for a bit-identical output to a USB DAC using Foobar and Windows XP?  Nothing I have tried works properly.

Have you tried Kernal Streaming or Asio (even ASIO4All).

Reply #2

Have you tried Kernal Streaming or Asio (even ASIO4All).

I have.  ASIO4ALL gave me an interrupted analog stream, unlistenable.  I haven't gotten Kernel Streaming to work at all with Foobar.  Tried WinAmp a bit but it was too commercial, didn't work with nothin' but DS, direct stream, whatever that is.  Everything works with that.  But I think it runs through Kmixer.  I am using a Windows XP laptop with a USB out to a USB-S/PDIF converter box, to a Berringer DEQ2496 for room equalization, to a Benchmark DAC1 (non-USB), to my tube rig.

Reply #3
Is the laptop's OS 'clean'?  I only ask because I'm a PC tech' and at least 95% of the PCs I see are running a load of sheeite applications / processes in the background.

If it is clean, say a recent install of the OS for instance - and you've unloaded all of the crap from the start menu using the MSCONFIG or REGEDIT utilities, the drive has been throughly defragmented and you've turned off the idiotic Windows System Restore utility...

The {ONLY} thing that should be running on your PC is the antivirus scanner - and if it's something resource-sucking and utterly obtrusive like Norton or McAfee's 'Security Suites', then I suggest you get something which consumes much less system resources such as the powerful and free Bit Defender:

http://www.bitdefender.com/ca/Main/view/Do...e-Products.html

...then the next trick is to disable the Windows Sounds-schemes in the control panel and reboot the PC and give it another go.

Please let us know how you make out.

Andrew D.

www.cdnav.com

Reply #4
If you have ruled out a dirty install or too many processes, etc.  then you may want to try the USB audio driver on this site:

http://www.usb-audio.com/

I think it is like $60, and though I have never used it (I just dont run USB) many have reported that it helps significantly to achieve what you are trying to achieve.  I do believe that there is a demo you could try.

Reply #5
--removed post--

Reply #6

Tantra,

I recently read a rather well-written series of missives (on HeadFi I believe), by a technician who designed the Benchmark DAC1 and Benchmark DAC1 USB devices.  He claims that Benchmark's research determined that Windows XP's (and Windows Vista's), native USB drivers, in conjunction with a number of common media players (Foobar, WinAmp and Windows Media Player among others), are fully capable of bit-perfect transfers and are an excellent platform as long as one does not activate any of the 'Windows Sounds' at any time during a recording / playback session.  Apparently the activation of ‘Windows Sounds’ during other (high-bitrate / High-Fidelity), events forces the Operating System to reduce it’s overall bitrate – and this does not get reset until the OS itself is rebooted.  (The wording I have chosen here may not be 100% technically correct).

The simple solution right off the top is to disable 'Windows Sounds' via the control panel...

Aside from that, a completely clean install of Windows XP or Windows Vista, along with the tweaks noted in my post above will give you an excellent Digital Audio Workstation platform.

Andrew D.

www.cdnav.com

Reply #7

Tantra,

I recently read a rather well-written series of missives (on HeadFi I believe), by a technician who designed the Benchmark DAC1 and Benchmark DAC1 USB devices.  He claims that Benchmark's research determined that Windows XP's (and Windows Vista's), native USB drivers, in conjunction with a number of common media players (Foobar, WinAmp and Windows Media Player among others), are fully capable of bit-perfect transfers and are an excellent platform as long as one does not activate any of the 'Windows Sounds' at any time during a recording / playback session.  Apparently the activation of ‘Windows Sounds’ during other (high-bitrate / High-Fidelity), events forces the Operating System to reduce it’s overall bitrate – and this does not get reset until the OS itself is rebooted.  (The wording I have chosen here may not be 100% technically correct).

The simple solution right off the top is to disable 'Windows Sounds' via the control panel...

Aside from that, a completely clean install of Windows XP or Windows Vista, along with the tweaks noted in my post above will give you an excellent Digital Audio Workstation platform.

Andrew D.

www.cdnav.com

Andrew:

How do you disable Windows Sounds?  I do not see this as an option in the Sounds section of the Control Panel.  I could disable all the audio hardware, but I am not sure this is what you are suggesting.  Any further thoughts?

Thanks!

Tantra

Reply #8
Start, Control Panel, Sounds and Audio Devices, Sounds, Sounds Scheme: No Sounds.

(That's in XP Pro, at least).

Cheers,
David.