Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Omni Encoder 1.0 Released (Read 279744 times) previous topic - next topic

Omni Encoder 1.0 Released

Reply #125
Well, each folder (one was 1026 files and other was 950) were located on separate drive letters. Should that matter? The file structure is ok b/c they accepted each folder individually.

Right now I have my FLACs strewn across multiple hard drives b/c of space issues.

Thanks!

That's probably it... i'll test that out when I get home tonight. My guess is it is trying to find the lowest common directory, and there isn't one because of the separate drives! Do each drive individually for the time being... should work fine.

Reply #126
How fast is your machine? I'm wondering if iTunes tagging operations don't block like the API says they do... my machine is pretty high-end so it could be tagging quickly on mine, but skipping things on yours.

3.2 GHz P4 Prescott w/ 2 G, one possibly relevant fact is the files involved all reside on a network hard drive (gigabit ethernet so should be fairly speedy but...?)

Reply #127

How fast is your machine? I'm wondering if iTunes tagging operations don't block like the API says they do... my machine is pretty high-end so it could be tagging quickly on mine, but skipping things on yours.

3.2 GHz P4 Prescott w/ 2 G, one possibly relevant fact is the files involved all reside on a network hard drive (gigabit ethernet so should be fairly speedy but...?)

It looks like the network harddrive is responsible for the missing tag info.  When I transcode to my local hard drive I don't have this problem

Reply #128

It looks like the network harddrive is responsible for the missing tag info.  When I transcode to my local hard drive I don't have this problem

Are you accessing the network drive via network neighbourhood? Like, does the path start with \\machinename\path? or do you have it mapped to a drive letter? If not, could you try mapping it to a drive letter and then see if it works for me?

Reply #129

Are you accessing the network drive via network neighbourhood? Like, does the path start with \\machinename\path? or do you have it mapped to a drive letter? If not, could you try mapping it to a drive letter and then see if it works for me?

It's mapped to a drive letter.  The drive is a linux server running samba

Reply #130

Don't you love nested messages? I know I do. Rudundancy ftw.

Reply #132

Thanks. I have a samba share myself here mapped to a drive letter, and I'll try it out tonight.

Reply #133

Which brand and what firmware release?  What OS and release are you connecting from?

-brendan

The server is an old homebuilt P4 running gentoo with 2.6 kernel (2.6.18 I think).  It is running samba 3.0.24

The client PC running omni encoder is running MSDN released vista with up to date patches.

Reply #134

Which brand and what firmware release?  What OS and release are you connecting from?

-brendan

The server is an old homebuilt P4 running gentoo with 2.6 kernel (2.6.18 I think).  It is running samba 3.0.24

The client PC running omni encoder is running MSDN released vista with up to date patches.

I know Vista changed the SMB protocol somewhat. I'm upgrading to Vista tonight - I'm first going to try encoding to my gentoo samba share, then I'll try again after the upgrade.

Its quite possible that this is one of those iTunes/Vista incompatibilities, and that Apple will fix it themselves. That's what I'm hoping!

Reply #135
I know Vista changed the SMB protocol somewhat. I'm upgrading to Vista tonight - I'm first going to try encoding to my gentoo samba share, then I'll try again after the upgrade.

Its quite possible that this is one of those iTunes/Vista incompatibilities, and that Apple will fix it themselves. That's what I'm hoping!

I think more specifically, Vista makes assumptions about what protocol settings are almost always enabled on Windows-based file servers, even though those options may not be the default or most common settings on samba-based servers.

I'd try tracking down discussions of vista-related problems with your particular samba release on mailing lists/forums.

-brendan

Reply #136
I'm encountering write errors (after decoding, before encoding) while transcoding single songs from multiple albums in multiple formats (FLAC, MP3 and APE) to Apple AAC in one batch. Seems like the error usually happens when after transitioning from one format to another, i.e., from MP3 to FLAC. It processes several files in the same format in a row okay until it reaches a different format. I can't get this to reproduce 100% of the time but eventually I will get the error in a batch of mixed formats.

Reply #137
Found another issue that may be related to the above. While transcoding a soundtrack album with multiple artists from FLAC to Apple AAC (with iTunes configured to copy files to iTunes library), Omni Encoder chugs along fine until the artist changes, in which case a write error results.

Reply #138
First, when I open any option/setting windows, the whole menu and OK/cancel buttons don't fit into the window, which I can't resize.  Any way to fix this?

I'm trying to set Omni up so that for each CD I rip it will create a FLAC file with replaygain in one directory, and and iTunes AAC with mp3 gain in a separate directory.  I haven't found how to do this yet.  Is it possible?  I thought that this version had that ability.

Thanks for the help.  Feel free to give me the idiot's version to this.

Reply #139
Though my tags appear to be in order I am having a problem with converting soundtrack/various artist albums from flac to mp3 when using the tag based folder generation option .
A new folder is being generated for each artist on the album.
What am I doing wrong?

Reply #140
Now that FLAC 1.1.4 is out, any plans for an update to include support for the new version of FLAC? Thanks.

Reply #141
Now that FLAC 1.1.4 is out, any plans for an update to include support for the new version of FLAC? Thanks.

I'll include it in the next release, but in the meantime you can just replace the flac.exe in the installation directory with the new one and it should work fine.

Reply #142
I noticed that when doing batch encodes/reencodes that Omni decodes ALL tracks to WAVs in the system temp directory before starting the encoding process.  Couldn't this be a big issue with disk space on systems with a large music collection if doing a library reencode?  I mention it because a lot of people do FLAC->FLAC when a new version comes out.

Could this be changed to process one file at a time, or one album at a time?

Reply #143
Error problem.

I'm running a simple test, 2 albums of mp3s to flac 1.1.4, mirroring the directory structure.  I'm moving it from D:\music\albums\A Perfect Circle\ to C:\test\A Perfect Circle\

I dragged the main APC directory into Omni and it loaded the songs from both albums.  I then chose to mirror the directories to C:\test\.  I'm not sure if this is supposed to create the APC directory or not.  Anyway, it created the first album directory Mer de Noms (not APC) and encoded all to flac.  But it DID NOT copy my folder.jpg album art for some reason.  The album art showed up in Omni, so it knew it was there.  It should have been moved to the new location.

Then as soon as the album changed to Thirteenth Step it errored on the first track, saying it couldn't write the file -
file C:\test\\01 - The Package.flac

I'm guessing something is wrong as the directory should read
file C:\test\Thirteenth Step\01 - The Package.flac

Ideas?  I just installed v1.3 and replaced flac exe's with v1.1.4.

Reply #144
Error problem.

I'm running a simple test, 2 albums of mp3s to flac 1.1.4, mirroring the directory structure.  I'm moving it from D:\music\albums\A Perfect Circle\ to C:\test\A Perfect Circle\

I dragged the main APC directory into Omni and it loaded the songs from both albums.  I then chose to mirror the directories to C:\test\.  I'm not sure if this is supposed to create the APC directory or not.  Anyway, it created the first album directory Mer de Noms (not APC) and encoded all to flac.  But it DID NOT copy my folder.jpg album art for some reason.  The album art showed up in Omni, so it knew it was there.  It should have been moved to the new location.

Then as soon as the album changed to Thirteenth Step it errored on the first track, saying it couldn't write the file -
file C:\test\\01 - The Package.flac

I'm guessing something is wrong as the directory should read
file C:\test\Thirteenth Step\01 - The Package.flac

Ideas?  I just installed v1.3 and replaced flac exe's with v1.1.4.

Art copying is a bit goofed up in some scenarios... i'm working on it.

Reply #145
This looks like an amazing program...but does it have the ability to edit the tags?

Reply #146
Also...is it portable meaning I can take it on a flash drive and it will write there and no where else? Does it have registry entries it puts in?

Reply #147
found a bug

When embedding 500x500 high quality album art, the art for the dialogue isn't scaling properly. I sure hope its not getting encoded this way:

the art is from the folder and named folder.jpg

Reply #148
another slight bug 

Dialogue box isn't diplaying the "&" sign

right before James Moody to read "Art Blakey & James Moody"

Reply #149
For me, I discovered pretty quickly that "Delete Source Files after conversion" isn't entirely accurate.  When I was converting a rip with that option checked, I hit abort and lost my files.