Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Selling old PC - should I sell it as whole or each piece separately? (Read 9404 times) previous topic - next topic

Selling old PC - should I sell it as whole or each piece separately?

Reply #25

ePaket is great and doesn't need a signup.

Yeah ok, it's not mandatory. But i wanted to use direct debit (Lastschriftverfahren) and you have to register for that.

P.S. Expensive parking garage you got there, Sebastian, don't they have parking lots on the street with 50 cent minimum?

There are like 10 lots near the Sparkasse building which is next to the post office. However, those are always occupied. The post office is in the same building with Saturn, Tchibo and some other stores and I get taxed per hour. It happened several times that I had to pay more because at the time when I get there (around 5 o'clock) the post office is full. Another disadvantage is that people who are having problems or questions regarding Postbank also stand in the same queue as people who want to have packages delivered.

Reply #26
Another disadvantage is that people who are having problems or questions regarding Postbank also stand in the same queue as people who want to have packages delivered.

Oh yeah, i know that all too well. An old grandpa having a hard time understanding some account details, while the queue already goes way back to where the lingerie is (the post office is inside a Karstadt store)... They have a central queue with 3 counters, but i've only seen all 3 people work there in the holiday season just now. Otherwise it's two people, no matter the queue.

Reply #27
Funny thread. :) Sounds like a decent computer for a decent price... I don't really get people paying much much more (or upgrading unnecessarily) when all they use is Word and the web.

So, was the buyer ok?

Reply #29
Considering the amount of RAM it doesn't surprise me the PC was sold so quickly. The guy got himself a Schnäppchen there.  That PC still has decent qualities as a desktop machine running XP or a Linux distro, although new harddrives would be necessary (ironically they'll cost him aprox. the same as the PC).

As my internet gateway at home I use a K6-III at 400MHz with 64MB of RAM, and it's idle 99% of all time. A 768MB RAM and a ~1GHz CPU system would have made a nice server with secured Xen virtual machines and encrypted filesystems.  Range of application is still very diverse for such old machines.

EDIT: typos

Reply #30
I'd use an old machine as a server, but they're so LOUD...

Guess I'll keep planning to steal an Xserve from an Apple factory.

I mean.

Ignore that.
err... i'm not using windows any more ;)