Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Win2k or XP ? (Read 17180 times) previous topic - next topic

Win2k or XP ?

I am looking at upgrading to either Windows 2000 or Windows XP but I am not sure which one to choose.

Which one is better suited in terms of digital-audio processing (playback, recording) ?

Win2k or XP ?

Reply #2
I don't think there's any difference in terms of audio. My choice would be W2k as is supports everything what XP does (afaik) and it's not bloated with unnecessery features, like XP themes, integrated cd burning and others.
EDIT: Oops, i've almost forgot the integrated windows media player in xp. That's the 1st in my 'Top 10 most hated applications'

But if i had a 64 bit system, possibly i'd want a 64-bit OS too, so i won't choose 2k

Win2k or XP ?

Reply #3
From the audio stand of view there is not much difference.

XP themes can easily be disabled and the media player can be hidden (just delete the links, it even asks to be some kind of "installed" the first time it is started)  I'd go for XP for the longer support life.

Win2k or XP ?

Reply #4
Best of all is to simply create your own stripped down install with nlite - you can remove whatever you hate, plus all the extra drivers that take up so much space, preconfigure it, add latest updates, your own software... Basically you can make one disc that'll install your system fresh exactly the way you want it with a minimum of hassle, also ready to be reinstalled anytime you screw up your system.

Win2k or XP ?

Reply #5
Get XP.  It still gets updates, is easy to get help for, and has software that works exclusively on it.

Win2k or XP ?

Reply #6
This is usually where I bash the @#$% out of XP, but in terms of audio recording and playback, the operating system you use matters very, very little.  What you need to do is find good recording and playback software, regardless of the OS and have decent hardware (like a good sound card with drivers for whatever OS you choose) to record and play from.  I would say what OS I do use, but that would contradict my point.
It's due for a good DEGAUSSIN'

Win2k or XP ?

Reply #7
Support for 2000 is dead or dying in a lot of areas, so I would not recommend buying a copy now.  You're 6 years late.

Win2k or XP ?

Reply #8
I'd also say: use XP. Because of its longer support life span.

And nLite is a good tip, if you want to customise your XP installation. I use it myself to slipstream service packs and updates into the XP installation CD. Tho, I don't recommend striping the Windows Media components. If you don't use them, they won't bother you when you leave them untouched (means: XP does not force you to use WMP.)

But a thing you'd want to do is type these things into the command prompt:
regsvr32 /u wmpshell.dll (removes the WMP Shell extensions, like "Add to playlist" etc on audio files)
regsvr32 /u shimgvw.dll (removes Image preview)
regsvr32 /u shmedia.dll (removes Media - AVI - preview)

This is just an example of how you can "slim" down XP. There are many tricks, it's best you save all the howto's in text files in case you need to reapply them.

This said, I admit XP is moderately bloated with MS media stuff and gimmicks, but you can deactivate all of them. Themes, WMP, Explorer's media preview... you can make XP look and feel almost like 2k plus you'll get system updates much longer.

Just Google around and keep tracks of your findings and what you change in your system, e.g. whenever you set XP's look and feel to be more plain. And nLite gives you a lot of such tweaks in the first place. So I'd suggest you play around with it a little, in case you have a CD-burner.

Win2k or XP ?

Reply #9
' date='Jul 8 2006, 01:10' post='409836']
Get XP.  It still gets updates, is easy to get help for, and has software that works exclusively on it.

Could you mention some? I can't install Abby Finereader on W2k. According to the readme it's supported but i'm getting a "Your Windows version is not compatible" message

About WMP, i hate it because it exists and i don't want in on my PC, no matter if i see it or not. In the EU there's an XP version available without WMP if somebody's interested. It's called Windows XP "N".

Win2k or XP ?

Reply #10
Molnart, with nLite you can (to some degree) safely remove WMP. There are different WMP components you can strip from the XP installation, but if you remove all of them, even the barest and most rudimentary WMP core, you won't be able to use any audio or video playback at all.

So your wish to get rid off WMP completely is foolish or at least illusory. Just don't use it and it won't bother you... but if it still bothers you even when you don't use it, then I suggest you use one of the various Linux distributions...

EDIT: I think Windows XP "N" also has these rudimentary WMP core files. I guess WMP and DirectX are to some degree inseparable... but to be honest I'm not sure about that. All I say is it's very likely that there's still a little bit of the Windows Media core even in Windows XP "N". Tho the WMPlayer is not.

Win2k or XP ?

Reply #11
ok thanks guys! it will be xp pro then.
oh btw, thanks for the nlite tips. will check it out.

Win2k or XP ?

Reply #12

Word of advide about nlite:  Be careful what you remove if you don't know much about the OS components.  ou tell it what features you need to work and it will let you know if you try to remove something that would break that.  But it's still easy to screw stuff up if you don't know what your doing.  I still highly recommend it though.  My server-ish box uses a nlited XP install.  Regardless of peoples claims, nlite will have a negligible affect on the performance of the OS.  Largest difference would be in fewer security holes due removing certain software, unless your on older hardware.  But it still makes people feel better, and why shouldn't it?

Win2k or XP ?

Reply #13
A program such as Windows Media Lite can install the necessary components after creating a custom version of XP.
Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life.

Win2k or XP ?

Reply #14
' date='Jul 8 2006, 01:10' post='409836']

About WMP, i hate it because it exists and i don't want in on my PC, no matter if i see it or not. In the EU there's an XP version available without WMP if somebody's interested. It's called Windows XP "N".

I believe theres actually an INF somewhere you can edit that enables the uninstaller for WMP.  I really don't recommend doing that though.  You'll save maybe 10MB of space for a lot of effort and probably some risk.

Win2k or XP ?

Reply #15
I believe theres actually an INF somewhere you can edit that enables the uninstaller for WMP.  I really don't recommend doing that though.  You'll save maybe 10MB of space for a lot of effort and probably some risk.
Point conceeded : you can disable the annoying WMP integration with minor (2 minutes) registry editing (deleting, actually ), and still be able to use wmp to play videos in your browser.  Not that there are many people who watch streaming WMV videos, but I'd have to say most men probably do

Also, you might want to get the KLMega codec pack, at www.codecguide.com

Win2k or XP ?

Reply #16
Windows 2000 has been end-of-life'd by Microsoft, which means it will receive no more security updates. This makes it an unusable operating system for anyone not on a corporate network, IMO. It's 6 years old - let it die!

Win2k or XP ?

Reply #17

Good choice with Pro...
Stay away from Home if you can afford it.
(depending on what method you use to aquire it  )
It's due for a good DEGAUSSIN'

Win2k or XP ?

Reply #18
I am surprised that no one asked the hardware spec of the computer of the questioner.

If the hardware is adequate, then the choice does not really matter.

Home or Pro does not matter as well unless you are a Sys Admin. I guess no ordinary user messes with ACL or Group Policies, AD, etc.

Win2k or XP ?

Reply #19
I am surprised that no one asked the hardware spec of the computer of the questioner.

If the hardware is adequate, then the choice does not really matter.

Home or Pro does not matter as well unless you are a Sys Admin. I guess no ordinary user messes with ACL or Group Policies, AD, etc.

File sharing? permissions? quotas?  I do.  I also "mess" with GPOs, as they're a quick way to change common settings in windows.

Win2k or XP ?

Reply #20
XP Pro is my suggestion.  XP over 2k as the reasons for 2k are easily done away with in XP by a couple of right clicks.

I  have always removed WMP and MSN Messenger by going to the control panel, clicking on add/remove programs than clicking on the tab for Windows Components.  Take the checkmark out of what I don't want, click next and its removed.  No worries, no hassles, no voodoo required.  Than again some people may not know about that existing and go for the harder route.

Don't like the XP Themes (besides using Windowblinds, etc.), you can disable them by right clicking on the desktop, clicking on properties, going to the appearance tab in the Display Properties and selecting the Windows Classic theme...too easy.  To further disable them, you can go to Control Panel and go to Services, go to the Windows Theme service and disable it.  Done.

Check for Slyck's Windows Guide or something akin to that and you can learn how to disable a slew of services that you don't or won't use.

' date='Jul 7 2006, 21:53' post='409873']
Also, you might want to get the KLMega codec pack, at www.codecguide.com

Too bloated for my recommendation...a user just needs a Codec pack with all the stuff to get the job done and nothing more.  I recommend the CCCP Pack over K-Lite or K-Mega. any day. http://cccp-project.net/

K Packs tend to stick in several things to handle the same thing or sticking in three or four codecs to handle something instead of one.

For Vid Players, I recommend Zoom Player (as you can adjust the screen and set presets with those adjustments and it works on my HDTV Out) or Gabest's Media Player Classic.  Both players come with the CCCP Pack for Playback.

Gom Player or Video Lan Player (VLC) is a suggestion if you can't install a codec pack...that is the only reason in my opinion.

- Gow
Zune 80, Tak -p4 audio library, Lossless=Choice

Win2k or XP ?

Reply #21
I am looking at upgrading to either Windows 2000 or Windows XP but I am not sure which one to choose.

Which one is better suited in terms of digital-audio processing (playback, recording) ?

How about a Linux kernel instead?  . I would go with Win2K. I refuse to use XP. It's way to bloated IMO. I just end up using open-source software with a few commercial applications on my machine anyway. Typical college student what can I say?
budding I.T professional

Win2k or XP ?

Reply #22
I  have always removed WMP and MSN Messenger by going to the control panel, clicking on add/remove programs than clicking on the tab for Windows Components.  Take the checkmark out of what I don't want, click next and its removed.  No worries, no hassles, no voodoo required.  Than again some people may not know about that existing and go for the harder route.

That only removes the icons, everything else still remains.  Although that is all I do.  Just don't use the m$ player.
gentoo ~amd64 + layman | ncmpcpp/mpd | wavpack + vorbis + lame

Win2k or XP ?

Reply #23

Good choice with Pro...
Stay away from Home if you can afford it.
(depending on what method you use to aquire it  )

What are the differences between pro and home in terms of audio? Nothing. Unless you are pirating, use home. It's cheaper. What XP pro exclusive feature that a regular home user needs? Probably none. No wonder MS keeps charging premium prices for their OS, people just keep buying the expensive version even though MS provides a cheaper version. And yet people are complaining about price.  Go figure.

win2k is old. Unless you have an older system, use XP. Hardware features like Intel's hyper-threading is not supported properly in 2k.
twitter.com/pika2000

Win2k or XP ?

Reply #24
It may seem like the OS has nothing to do with basic audio quality, and everything to do with "features," but it actually can make a difference.

When I first set up my home win2k system, I would notice barely audible clicking noises which I tracked down to the OS's default use of ACPI and its sharing of IRQ's.  After I reinstalled win2k in standard mode, removed as many IRQ devices as possible, and assigned each device its own IRQ (especially my audio card), the noises went away.

I have heard that XP is better than win2k at sharing IRQ's.  Just another reason to move away from win2k (although I still use win2k!)

ff123