Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Low bitrate mono recordings (Read 3730 times) previous topic - next topic

Low bitrate mono recordings

I've using tracks from "Ella and Louis Again" - I've downconverted the wav files to mono, and am now encoding them with alt-preset standard.

I've noticed that if I take the default, that it uses virtually only 128kbps, and if I do standard -b112, it uses virtually only 112kbps.  Only when I go to -b80 do I see a distribution of bitrates (averaging 96kbps).  It seems pretty clear that this source material doesn't require a minimum of 128kbps, or even 112 kbps.

My question is this - does alt-preset standard -b80 hold up, or should I just use alt-preset 96?
It's is not, it isn't ain't, and it's it's, not its, if you mean it is.  If you don't, it's its.

Reply #1
I think 80 should be ok if the content is mono.  Are you also using -mm or -a?

Reply #2
You're saying alt-preset standard -b80 should be OK?

As for the other switches, I'm using neither -mm nor -a.  I had read on ff123's site that you can get some weird phasing issues (original post  here), so I used CoolEdit to convert the stereo wav file I ripped from the CD to mono (left channel only) and then encoded with alt-preset standard -b80.
It's is not, it isn't ain't, and it's it's, not its, if you mean it is.  If you don't, it's its.

Reply #3
You're saying alt-preset standard -b80 should be OK?

Yes.  It'd probably even be fine on normal music really, since the mode doesn't really dip too low that I've seen yet, but I just default it to 128kbps "in case".  Since there does seem to be more people encoding mono sources than I thought, perhaps I should reconsider this limitation if it doesn't really cause any problems elsewhere.

I'll try to run some comprenhensive tests today and see what I think.. maybe I'll go back to -b80.. heh.

As for the other switches, I'm using neither -mm nor -a. I had read on ff123's site that you can get some weird phasing issues (original post here), so I used CoolEdit to convert the stereo wav file I ripped from the CD to mono (left channel only) and then encoded with alt-preset standard -b80.

Yeah, I've read about that too.  Probably a good idea to just do it the way you are doing right now then.