Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.

Poll

Why did you join the Hydrogenaudio forums?

To get an answer to a question
[ 82 ] (53.6%)
To help other people in a domain you consider yourself good in
[ 24 ] (15.7%)
To spread the news about a/my piece of software
[ 4 ] (2.6%)
Other (please elaborate in post)
[ 43 ] (28.1%)

Total Members Voted: 174

Topic: What are your HA use statistics? (Read 12829 times) previous topic - next topic

What are your HA use statistics?

I always wondered how many people consider they waste their time on this forum (because it's addictive ), why they joined and how much time per week the average person surfs on HA.org.  Hopefully, this poll will soothe my need for questionning

(This is also my first mutiple-question poll )

I joined because I wanted to help other people, but I also needed an answer to a question.  Plus, I always have at least one forum I like to contribute to, at any given time.

I probably spend too much time on here, but it's worth it.

Reply #1
I joined to ask a question, after initially coming across the forum while looking to archive my CDs.  I now spend most time answering questions, or simply sticking my nose into interesting discussions that I am underqualified to be in.

I definately waste time here.  Not all my time here is wasted by any means, but I do spend way too much time here.

I think I voted 10-25 hours.  That is active time; during the day I am constantly refreshing the "View New Posts" list to see what's going on, so my overall session time is probably a lot higher.
I'm on a horse.

Reply #2
I wound up here referred by another MP3 board.  I found HA interesting when I first arrived and I still do.  It is a good mix of knowledgeable folks, newcomers, the curious, the insane and an occasional coder of merit.  I learn more than I can give but try to offer what meager knowledge I have.

Cheers   
Nov schmoz kapop.

Reply #3
As can be seen from my member number, I joined here right near the beginning. I was relatively newly interested in audio compression beyond simply compressing a few files and just found HA while looking for general information. The rest, as they say, is history!!

Reply #4
Nice poll (and I like this new multi-poll feature)
Hmm, from my first posts it seems that I came here when I decided to copy all my CD collection onto PC - I was seeking information (regarding rippers, encoders, players, settings, etc.) on how to do it the best way. Also, I was a lurker for a year or so before I dared to post.
Now I can say that I learned quite a lot here, I luv this place now and visiting it became an every-day ritual

Reply #5
I personally haven't been here long, but somehow, I manage to fit in an incredible amount of posts  (2.4 per day.. not huge, but still)

I lurked for quite a while, though, just like you, rutra80.  I've been looking at HA ever since 3.97a3 was out, and have had guruboolez as my idol ever since  (he has THE ears  )

Oh.. by the way.. POST # 800!!!

Reply #6
Hmm, from my first posts it seems that I came here when I decided to copy all my CD collection onto PC - I was seeking information (regarding rippers, encoders, players, settings, etc.) on how to do it the best way. Also, I was a lurker for a year or so before I dared to post.
One thing I did realise after being a while is that I had been to HA numerous times before, while investigating various audio-related topics.  For example, I had been a member here a while when I realised that my first investigations into cuesheets, way before I registered, had ended with the wiki article here.

I am still flumoxed as to why I finally rested here.  Maybe I just felt the need for some company, and then the addiction took over.  As Shade[ST] alluded to earlier, I have been an active/fanatic member of other forums previously, but never as fanatical/addicted as I am to HA.  Maybe one day I'll have to go cold turkey and regain some spare time...

It is a good mix of knowledgeable folks, newcomers, the curious, the insane and an occasional coder of merit.  I learn more than I can give but try to offer what meager knowledge I have.
Amen.  It is wonderful to hear the thoughts of the application developers on this forum, and to bend their ear occassionally (sorry David!).
I'm on a horse.

Reply #7
I really have forgotten why I came to HA in the first place...  ... but like Synthetic Soul, it's becoming addictive...

Reply #8
I really have forgotten why I came to HA in the first place...  ... but like Synthetic Soul, it's becoming addictive...

If it's so addictive, I'm surprised no one spends more than 168 hours a week here  (by the way, for you math freaks, it IS possible -- once a year)

Reply #9
As can be seen from my member number, I joined here right near the beginning. I was relatively newly interested in audio compression beyond simply compressing a few files and just found HA while looking for general information. The rest, as they say, is history!!

I have also been here since the early days. There was a time I thought my member number was high! 

I am also interested in audio compression. I started on the infamous r3mix forum, but came here as part of the also infamous "exodus" to Project Mayhem.

I have loved it here every second (although best year for me was 2003). This site and the software developed by people here have enhanced the pleasure I get from music. I also love the way here everyone is so civilized and polite (we all know other forums where this is not the case).

It's been four years now, and I hope for many more!
I'm the one in the picture, sitting on a giant cabbage in Mexico, circa 1978.
Reseñas de Rock en Español: www.estadogeneral.com

Reply #10
Before I came here I was just believing the crap Microsoft was telling with their wma format at 64 kbit wonders. I still meet guys who do the same.  For me, luckiliy, a lot has changed since then

I don't come here that often now, for I have better things to do then refreshing this site all the time. But definetely 1-3 hours a week.
A secure audio ripper for linux: code.google.com/p/rubyripper

Reply #11
Originally a few years ago, i joined ha.org because i was generally interested in lossy audio encoding - but i had a second intention which over the course of time became the primary reason: Before i joined, i had high emotional skills, but was lacking symbolic skills, especially advanced logic and knowledge about the scientific method. I used ha.org to improve these skills and overally become more "balanced". I achieved that goal about 1 year ago and since then have been less involved (i learned what i wanted to learn, and then focussed on other avenues, mainly philosophy, social-networking and spirituality). So yes, ha.org definatelly changed my life - i used it as a self-improvement tool.

Nowadays, i have no "deeper" interest in ha.org anymore and am mainly here to stay up-to-date, talk foobar2000 and here and there help out promising users out as well as debunk losers.

- Lyx
I am arrogant and I can afford it because I deliver.

Reply #12
I came over from r3mix in search of open minds and more objective listening tests. This was in very short supply while Roel was dominating the discussion boards.

My ultimate goal was to have the best settings available with Lame for my mp3 collection.

I have been able to observe the growth of vorbis and aac, and have had access to many bits of software that have sprung from many board contributors.

This website rocks IMO.

Some of the software I use regularly:

Mr questionman
eac
Burrrn
SSRC plug-in for winamp
UniversalFront
Vorbis mods  AoTuv
Foobar
Tag
Mp3Gain

I have asked several general computer questions and received excellent advice.This includes hardware questions as well.

I would like to extend my appreciation to everyone who has contributed to my enjoyment of music on my computer at this site.

I will continue to assist newer members with questions I feel capable of answering, just as I was assisted when I was new.

Reply #13
I first joined to answer someone's question. THat's basically what I do, answer questions I see that I know I can answer. But a lot of the threads here go way over my head, they're just way to technical

I think I spend maybe 10-25 hours a week here. It's a good learning experience, and I have to say, it's because of this site that I found LAME was still awesome. It's also made me a bit of a Vorbis fanboy, thanks to the aoTuV builds... Also learned the value of ABX and lossy codecs, and that I actually -can't- tell the difference between high quality lossy files and the original (but I sure thought I could, I fell victim to the dreaded PLACEBO). It also converted me to foobar2000, after years of faithful service to Winamp.

I can't post too much because too many of the threads are way more technical than I can get, but I try!

Reply #14
I too joined HA as part of the migration from the r3mix boards. I was reluctant at first, holding on to the old, known thing, as we often do in life. But life is a change, and this one was definitely for good. As time went on, I got more and more interested, so the natural progression was to try to do some development of my own. Picked up some tools, learned a whole lot and came up with some little apps along the way. Then around 2004, I think, I decided to find out what is that IRC thing everybody was talking about. Joined the #hydrogenaudio and #foobar2000 channels and got even more involved. Also, looking back, it was when I started to develop a more personal relationship to the people around HA. And I can say today, that I found some real friends there too. Anyway, I think it was around that time that I ultimately started to switch completely to foobar as my one and only music player. And then, finally in 2005, as part of more of the natural progression , after a short hesitation, I accepted the offer to become a mod. And here we are, 5 years later.

P.S.: Oh Shade, it's definitely.

Reply #15
I started reading HA mainly because of the Ogg Vorbis and FLAC development and joined discussions after a few months. I have never been very active, will probably never be - but HA is a really good resource that I appreciate in many ways.

Reply #16
My first forum experience was on the MP3.com bulletin board, to which quite a few interesting people posted to, including Roel, before he started r3mix.com.  Unfortunately, both the mp3.com and r3mix.com boards went by the wayside.  The VQF forum also housed more than a few entertaining characters.  My reason for hanging around has always been because I've been curious about how people decide what sounds better between different lossy schemes.

There used to be a website called mp3bench.com, which rated codec quality, but I don't recall seeing too many others prior to r3mix purporting to rate quality differences between mp3 encoder implementations.  That was the thing which interested me, that different mp3 encoders could and did sound better or worse.

Despite his faults, I think Roel should be given credit for assembling one of the first organized internet listening tests  to try to find out which mp3 encoder sounded best:  Roel's Archive Quality Test #1.  Of course if Roel wasn't the first, then Dibrom was, because Roel was testing a couple of Dibrom's Lame builds.  It was through a desire to understand the results of Roel's test that I started learning about the statistics involved, and a through a desire to improve upon Roel's testing procedures that I started to write abc/hr, modelled after Ivan's wavrate program (which itself was modelled after MUSHRA).  Prior to abc/hr there had been pc-abx, but it wasn't really suited to rating codecs, and mushra wasn't publicly available.  Dibrom and his friend had tried to write a java version of abc/hr, but it performed poorly.  They had the right idea, but schnofler would be the one to realize it properly.

Roel should also be given credit for driving Dibrom to found ProjectMayhem when he did :-)

ff123

Reply #17
I, like a lot of lost users, joined only to find out how the f**k EAC and LAME had to be set up.

Then when I found out how easy it was, I thougt to myself "hey, this stuff is pretty easy, I should stick around and see what else I learn", 36 boxes of Lucky Charms and 12 months later, I've gotten into lots of stuff I never would have thought of.

hydrogenaudio is super-duper!

EDIT: super-duper typo.
we was young an' full of beans

Reply #18
First of all, I came here primarily just to gain some knowledge I've been searching for at other areas (sites) and I wasn't satisfied with what I have learned or read.

Second, I'd like to say that overall, I've definitely not wasted time here!  Unlike I have voted in the poll (due to a quick and not careful reading of that question). 
So I'd like to apologize for my mistake! 

I've posted few questions as a thread starter but all in all I've found here almost everything I wanted to know by searching!
Sorry for my poor English, I'm trying to get better... ;)
"The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled, was convincing the world he didn't exist."

Reply #19
I'm pretty sure I came here to learn about mp3 or ogg compression (can't remember which?) It is addictive because I'm kind of a geek and there is so much to learn about here. I probably spend at least an hour here a day, and I visit multiple times a day. Usually before work, to see if anything interesting is brewing, then when I get home from work to see the latest developments. I must say there always seems to be something to read here and I hope the site sticks around for a while.

Reply #20
I started on the infamous r3mix forum, but came here as part of the also infamous "exodus" to Project Mayhem.
Yep same with me. I remember the first LAME version modified by Dibrom, as well as the ongoing fights with the r3mix guy 
I'm felling old right now
Blubb

Reply #21
I believe I can also qualify as an "old guy' here...

And just like many others, I moved to HA from r3mix. At that time I feel that Dibrom and the moderators were "building a whole new world from scratch". This was very exciting. And I think it is amazing that HA grows to this size and gains the reputation as "the site" to go if one wants to learn audio compression.

I am relatively silent except various questions, discussions, and trolling posts (because at those times I was mostly in a frustrated mood), and in fact the main reason for joining HA is to "read", and gather knowledge from other more knowledgible members, such as the moderators and developers.

And by the way, I think this is a good opportunity to say "Thank you" to those contributed to HA.

Yes, thank you everyone.

Reply #22
I hang around here for a couple of hours a week. I had been reading HA.org for a few months when I finally registered so I could start this thread. Despite having read all their threads for as long as I can remember, I still don't get most of what SebastianG, Garf et al. have to say about signal processing.

To this day, HA remains one of the few forums on the net with a high enough SNR for good discussion. Thanks to Dibrom and the moderators for a great community.

Reply #23
' date='Apr 20 2006, 09:54 PM' post='384424']
If it's so addictive, I'm surprised no one spends more than 168 hours a week here  (by the way, for you math freaks, it IS possible -- once a year)
I'm sure there are some... they just don't want to admit that they're... hydrogenaudioholics

So... can we start a HAA* forum now?

* Hydrogenaudioholics Anonymous

Reply #24
mp3.com -> vqf.com -> r3mix.net ->ha.org