Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: How to tag flac with id3v & vorbis comments (Read 7322 times) previous topic - next topic

How to tag flac with id3v & vorbis comments

Hi all,
    I have tagged all my flac files with vorbis comments, but there is an application that is having trouble reading them. I want to be able to also save id3v1.1 tags to my flac files. is there a program to save both tag formats to a single file, hopefully in batch mode. I know eac can write vorbis and id3v1 &2 tags together, but that is only coming from cd's. I have over 6000 flac files to change. Any help?

Reply #1
Which program are you talking about? Wouldn't it be a better idea to contact the developer of this application about supporting the proper tagging standard instead of breaking your files?

[...] you should not expect any tags beside FLAC tags to be supported in applications; some implementations may not even be able to decode a FLAC file with ID3 tags.

You could also switch to another software.

Reply #2
Which program are you talking about? Wouldn't it be a better idea to contact the developer of this application about supporting the proper tagging standard instead of breaking your files?

[...] you should not expect any tags beside FLAC tags to be supported in applications; some implementations may not even be able to decode a FLAC file with ID3 tags.

You could also switch to another software.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=373710"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hey,
    Thanks for the quick reply. The program I am speaking of is a front end for a car pc, centrafuse. it's newest version, the only one I can get a serial for, does not read them correctly. The older version had no problem. I have notified the developer, but he is still building  developing a beta versions and doesn't seem to be much help. I really like the software, really like my flac compared to mp3 or ogg, and wanted to get bthis off the ground soon. The files that are read correctly are ones that have both vorbis and id3v1.1 tags from eac, which i ripped to flac. Is there a program that can take my flac files, with vorbis tags and create id3 tags from them?

Reply #3
You should be able to do this with Case's Tag.

TAG.EXE --recursive --force ID3v1 *.flac

Test on a few files first.

I think this will end up with both ID3v1 and FLAC (following a short test), which that should be fine if you don't need to change your tags.
I'm on a horse.

Reply #4
>about supporting the proper tagging standard instead of breaking your files?

As far as I know ID3v1 / v2 were part of the early FLAC specification (many years ago), so it is not inconcievable there would be files with these tags hanging around still.

Reply #5
Synthetic Soul,
Thank you very much. You were the only person to give me an answer that actually worked. Took some time but now all my flacs play in this application just fine. Thanks again.
Mike

Reply #6
Is there a program that can take my flac files, with vorbis tags and create id3 tags from them?

I don't know why the hell anyone would want to? the developer needs to fix that. Vorbis comment tags are more robust IMO. The only time I would use ID3 tags is for MP3 files anyway.
budding I.T professional

Reply #7
I wish Josh had never allowed ID3 tags in FLAC. Now every man and his dog wants to use that despite the fact that compared to the vorbis tags, it is indeed a totally braindead format.

OK I understand that you might have some reason, but frankly if I were you I would not screw around my FLAC archives.

Reply #8
Why is it braindead?  It has a longer list of standardized fields than Ogg does.  Perhaps if Ogg had more fields, no one would want to use ID3 with FLAC.

Reply #9
Why is it braindead?  It has a longer list of standardized fields than Ogg does.  Perhaps if Ogg had more fields, no one would want to use ID3 with FLAC.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=375425"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

As was allready explained to you in that thread, the standardised list doesnt really matter, a good programme should support any field you care to add. The standardised field list is just to make sure people use the same name for each of their fields to mantain compatability between programmes.

Reply #10
As was allready explained to you in that thread, the standardised list doesnt really matter, a good programme should support any field you care to add. The standardised field list is just to make sure people use the same name for each of their fields to mantain compatability between programmes.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=375427"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Exactly my point.  Since there is no standard beyond the minimum, there wouldn't be any compatibilty between programs for any extended tags.  Why would I want to lock myself to just one program?

Reply #11

Exactly my point.  Since there is no standard beyond the minimum, there wouldn't be any compatibilty between programs for any extended tags.  Why would I want to lock myself to just one program?
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=375434"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Because, as it says on the FLAC homepage, ID3 tags are not supported and my actually cause your files not to work on some players.

Reply #12
Because, as it says on the FLAC homepage, ID3 tags are not supported and my actually cause your files not to work on some players.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=375450"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I wasn't talking about using ID3 with FLAC...just extending the amount of standard fields.  When I referred to program...I was referring to media players.

Reply #13
I realize the FLAC homepage has a recommendation and warning about using other tagging formats, etc., however my question is would using APEv2 tag's in any way cause possible damage or corruption to a FLAC file, and would it make it impossible to decode?

Call it stupid and against standard recommendations and the general bloating tag's, however I would greatly like it if I could switch from this sort of comment field tag:
EAC (Secure Mode) / FLAC 1.1.2 (Level 5) / 26 March 2006

to this:
Ripper: EAC (Secure Mode)
EAC Test & Copy CRC's Both Match: Yes
Encoder: FLAC 1.1.2
Encoding Level: 5
Archival Quality & Transparent: Yes
Rip & Encode Date: 26 March 2006

When adding the (you're writing a freakin' books worth of tag's) Foobar2000 doesn't display the comment field as I would expect using the FLAC tag.

Reply #14
Foobar2000 doesn't display the comment field as I would expect using the FLAC tag.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=375529"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

What's wrong and what did you expect?

I can store multiline tags in FLAC files without any problems here.

Reply #15

[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=375434"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

If the programme reads the tags then it reads the tags, it doesnt matter about the field name. The field name just tells the programme what to do with it.

You can allways use the field names from the id3 tag standards if you require consistency.

Reply #16
Foobar2000 doesn't display the comment field as I would expect using the FLAC tag.
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

What's wrong and what did you expect?

I can store multiline tags in FLAC files without any problems here.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=375532"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thank you for that info which set me on an investigation that lasted all but a few short seconds. You are correct with the multi lines. I was using Foobar2000's Mass Tagger which resulted into the comment field looking like this when double click to view it:
[a href="http://xs.to][/url]
When I didn't use the Mass Tagger to tag a comment and changed it individually it looks like what I explained earlier, all legable and not scrunched together.