Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Winamp Versions (Read 2582 times) previous topic - next topic

Winamp Versions

Whats the best winamp version to date,
when looking at 'accurate MP3 decoding', little to no buggs, convenience, not too much
nonsense built-in.
I read in the newer versions theres a lot of features that slows things down and alot of nagg-
thingies.
Also some versions seem to be very prcessor-consuming.
And the final version seems to be crap ?

Sorry i have no version refference.

morelli
why does \'saving settings\' take about 3 minutes and my modem is working while shutting down my windows2000 ?

Winamp Versions

Reply #1
Version 2.8x lite will do you right out of the box. But with a frugal install and a little tweaking 3.x can surpas 2.x in least resources used. Then it simply comes down to third party plugins you might want that could hold you to 2.x.

Winamp Versions

Reply #2
2.666+ features the newer decoder.
2.80 and 2.79 had security updates (zlib and something with a ID3v2 tag buffer overflow)

I would stick with the latest of the 2.X series (2.81) and the latest wa2update from Peter.

Winamp Versions

Reply #3
I read in the newer versions theres a lot of features that slows things down and alot of nagg-
thingies.

I'd have to say that WA3 is more friendly on newer versions of Windows, more precisely Win2000 or WinXP. I know a few people who've installed it on Win98, Win98SE, and WinME and those people have done nothing but whine and cry about it being too slow, etc.

The nag "thingies" come in the form of Aol on the desktop (AOD). I just cleaned up a friends computer for her after she tried out WA3 and I found a ton of AOD shit all over including keys added into the system registry.

If you want a rock solid player I'd stick with Winamp v2 (classic)
http://classic.winamp.com/download/

An important thing to do is bookmark PP's Winamp 2 plugin page so you can quickly find updates
http://www.blorp.com/~peter/wa2.htm