Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: New Audio Format 'triple-s' (Read 4020 times) previous topic - next topic

New Audio Format 'triple-s'

Hi

Today there was an article on the website of the German computer magazine "Chip" about a new audio format that may replace MP3 in the future, called "Triple-S", which is the abbreviation for "Super Small Sound".

It is said that some Austrian scientists would have developed a format, which should be able to compress audio data at a very higher ratio as MP3 can do, without any great loss in quality. It would be presented officially on December 14th 2002, a few months later the first free players should be available. There was no other information given about it.

I've never heard anything about it so far and wasn't able to find any useful information about it. I really started to think it's something like a fake

So I hope there maybe is someone here who can confirm the existence of such a format and provide some more information about it.

Reply #1
Either a fake, or a rights-managed scheme, since they say players are coming out for it - so, presumably they'd already have agreements in place.  Why would a player maker even consider a new format if it didn't bring something of 'value' along with it? Nex

Reply #2
Oh, you mean software players - sorry. Nex