Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: (yet Again...) Where Is Vorbis Now? (Read 5973 times) previous topic - next topic

(yet Again...) Where Is Vorbis Now?

how come there haven't been any news of vorbis for a relatively long time here in the forum? I haven't heard anything since Garf's **outstanding** vorbis technology demo.
are there any improvements in the current cvs? any low-bitrate (<45kbps nominal) improving plans?perhaps any high-quality (>192 kbps) tuning in progress?
I'm VERY eager to see what next vorbis will offer.Especially now that the new wma9 low-br-rival is out...
I haven't subscribed to the vorbis-mailing-list(yet),so I'm counting on you guys
for any news

Reply #1
Because Monty is now mainly working with the theora-ogg integration.
Juha Laaksonheimo

Reply #2
Hmm... i remember that somebody said there would be Vorbis 1.1 release at some point now, maybe even before end of the year. I'm probably wrong on this...

By reading Vorbis mailinglists, there's one problem with Vorbis 1.0 which needs to be fixed (problem with high frequencies with some songs).

Reply #3
yes, i would love to see the high frequencies problem being adressed!

Reply #4
According to the Vorbis project page, there will be an updated encoder released within a few weeks.

Reply #5
Really good news! The current encoder dosn't do a good job on really high-bitrate files, as all the high-freq are missing. I'm glad that the high-freq problem is being acknowledged and addressed.

Reply #6
Please, do not exaggerate the problems of the current encoder. If 'all the high-freq' are missing, you're either beginning to suffer from selective hearing loss, or something is terribly wrong with your equipment 

Reply #7
Well, I know people say to not look at graphical analysis of he out put, as the codec is meant to be listened to and not looked at.

When I did look at the output graphically, the freq past ~16kh was just gone. Even at bit rates of 200+. So I'm happy about improvements.

Reply #8
According to the Vorbis project page, there will be an updated encoder released within a few weeks.

Maybe I'm blind, but where exactly (URL, please) did you get this specific information?
sic transit gloria mundi...

Reply #9
Well, I know people say to not look at graphical analysis of he out put, as the codec is meant to be listened to and not looked at.

When I did look at the output graphically, the freq past ~16kh was just gone. Even at bit rates of 200+. So I'm happy about improvements.

If the high frequencies are gone, it's probably because the psymodel determined that they were inaudible.  I've seen Vorbis encode frequencies all the way up to 22khz in some cases, so it's not a pathological problem at least.

Are you able to hear these frequencies being removed? (ie. performed abx tests, etc)

And if so, how does something like MPC or AAC compare on the same file?

Reply #10
Maybe I misunderstood it .. but it's here: http://www.xiph.org/ogg/vorbis/update.html

Our flagship project Ogg Vorbis is currently undergoing a minor bugfix update, with a version change coming within the next few weeks.

I don't think there will be any changes in quality.. From what I hear, the bugfixes are mostly platform specific.

Reply #11

Please don't judge on graphical output but listen. You are totally wrong. If Vorbis removed everything above 16kHz, it's because that part was inaudible. Vorbis removes frequencies that are inaudible, that's the whole point.

Reply #12
@deveco:

The current encoder dosn't do a good job on really high-bitrate files, as all the high-freq are missing. I'm glad that the high-freq problem is being acknowledged and addressed.

Actually, Benjamin is talking about a completely different "high-frequency problem". It's the over-boosted treble that is introduced at -q 4 and lower (and, to a certain extent, -q 5 as well).  Basically just the opposite of what you mention, except for the fact that this was judged by listening and not by looking at fancy graphs.