Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Is There Any Game Like Whiplash Out There? (Read 5138 times) previous topic - next topic

Is There Any Game Like Whiplash Out There?

I just loved that game!
I was wondering if there's any other car racing game for the PC in the style of Whiplash.
I really don't think there is, i've been watching closely on every car racing game that came out since 96 . But still, i might have missed something.
I doubt anyone here has an answer, but anyway ...

Reply #1
SK1 (or should I call you the terra-poster!),

Tell me more about the game!... I'm very much into driving games.

You may also want to check out Viva Nonno (an emulator which does the Ridge Racer arcade games).

Ruairi
rc55.com - nothing going on

Reply #2
I remember playing one back in 1991 called just "Stunts". It was pretty good considering it was running on and 386/33. My roommates and I used to have marathon sessions to see who could get the best lap time... on a newly customised track of course.

SK1 (or should I call you the terra-poster!)

20 post per day so far.

hmm, by January, SK1 will be the board's top poster!

yikes 

Reply #3
Stunts was an amazing game! You'd might be able to find it using Google (and a magic keyword, Abandonware).

I've had it running under the DOSBox Emulator, quite smooth, with sound.

Oh, and I've made some stupid tracks. The best way to win the game is to create a circle track and give the opponent a crap car and make sure you have the F1 thingy.

Hehe, well, it was fun watching the pseudo-video clips of the enemies getting wound up...

As for similar games... the Original Carmageddon was superb!

Ruairi
rc55.com - nothing going on

Reply #4
Stunts is still my favorite racing sim, if one can call leaping over 5-story buildings at 481030 miles per hour simulation
Death Rally, another oldie, isn't bad either.

Reply #5
I haven't played this one much... it never made it big in NA as far as I know. But it has to be one of the best: Grand Prix Legends. It simulates cars from the 1967 F1 season...  "A time where technology in racing did not separate man from machine, but bonded them together as one" ... as nicely put in this review. I think it actually has a bit of a cult following.

SK1,

I never played Whiplash, so I'm not sure if Grand Prix Legends is something you might be interested in.

hey look, you logo suggestion lives!

Reply #6
First of all, here's a GREAT old generation style racing game, only it's 3D. I found that game some months ago.
GeneRally
If you liked Stunts, you'll love this game. (i hope )
And there's a great track editor, and tons of tracks have already been submitted to the site.

About Whiplash.
"Tell me more about the game!... I'm very much into driving games."

Well, it's a kind of unrealistic racing game with powerfull rally like cars with AMAZING abilities
You have insane tracks with super high jumps, loops, cool glass roads, powers, stuff.
I played it a lot, it was fun, and best in multiplayer mode.
Here are some pics.

And a review i found.

Reply #7
Let me cast the second vote to the original Carmageddon!

I've never liked any driving game besides good old Stunts and Carmageddon. They are both really, really good.

Although I'm beginning to think that GTA3 isn't bad at all

Reply #8
rc55, your Viva Nonno suggestion kind of slipped my eyes .
Yep, i can't believe i downloaded it and the game some months ago and forgot all about it!
I'll check it out now.
(i'm IN to emulation )

Reply #9
Whiplash AKA Fatal Racing.
i played that to death in old days, even managed to rip music (still have the midis somewhere, it was a real bitch to rip because game files were compressed, i had to hexedit them out of memory dump), hacked savegames to get to "hidden" cars/tracks, etc.
Microsoft Windows: We can't script here, this is bat country.

Reply #10
Wow that's cool! If you find the midis it would be great if you'd put them somewhere to download..

Reply #11
Gran Turismo I and II run glitchlessly under ePSXe, and you'll probably be able to obtain both of them legally very cheaply from a discount bin or second-hand games shop... Don't know if you're into that kind of racing game though.

Like the screenshots from Whiplash, think I'll have to give it a go myself

Reply #12
I've heard about Gran Turismo's greatness and read reviews.. Yeah i'm in to that .
Hmm why didn't i think about that?  I'LL DO it, gonna go buy myself GT1 and/or 2.

By the way Whiplash doesn't work under WinXP (and maybe 2k, don't know)... Under 98/98SE, no doubt it works.

Reply #14
Thank you! Gonna listen to them now. (this is gonna bring back memories )

Reply #15
wow, i downloaded and played the demo of whiplash its awsome!  does anyone have the full game to download?
"...ambience?, I AM ambience!"

Reply #16
that would be considered "warezing" .. Since the game is still availible for purchase at around 10$, which is really stupid to my opinion... ANYway, i couldn't find it anywhere ...
And i had the game a long time ago but somehow it disappeared..

Reply #18
It does work under WinXP, the demo doesn't.
Thanks.
Too bad there's no other game like it, i'd love to see a new game like it with awsome 3D graphics and soumd and stuff, it would be the best. For 1995, Fatal Racing (called Whiplash in europe i think) is a good game, now though.. It's pretty depressing to play when you know what potential it has .

By the way, i don't think there's a reason to remove the link. As the author of the website wrote, if anyone has a problem with the game being availible for download, all one needs to do is contact him and it will be removed. No one did.