Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Some Wavpack questions... (Read 16217 times) previous topic - next topic

Some Wavpack questions...

Reply #25
Can anyone confirm or deny?
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=328789"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

To test it out, i have just ripped a CD to an image + Cue Sheet and then encoded it in fb2k with this line :

-hm -w "Cuesheet=@cdimage.cue" -w "Log=@album.log" - %d

I had cdimage.wav + cdimage.cue + album.log in D:\Temp, and wavpack.exe in C:\Programmer\foobar2000.

-Martin.

Reply #26
Hi Synthetic Soul & Martin H 

I actually made some progress on implementing this metadata from file stuff that was discussed above, and it's already in the special version I did with the experimental noise shaping. I didn't mention it then because it was very preliminary, but it does seem to work (and if you're doing lossless that version should be identical to the standard).

There are two enhancements. First, it accepts wildcards in the file spec as long as there is only one match. So you can use "CUESHEET=@*.cue" for instance, as long as it's the only cuesheet in there. If it can't find the file in the directory that WavPack is run in, it then also tries the directory that the source file is in.

However, after reading this I realize that this won't work in all cases. Perhaps I should try the destination directory also if the input spec is stdin?

Reply #27
To test it out, i have just ripped a CD to an image + Cue Sheet and then encoded it in fb2k with this line :

-hm -w "Cuesheet=@cdimage.cue" -w "Log=@album.log" - %d

I had cdimage.wav + cdimage.cue + album.log in D:\Temp, and wavpack.exe in C:\Programmer\foobar2000.

Thank you very much for spending the time to test and confirm Martin, and for responding to my PM.

I have tried responding this morning about five times now - coming to different conclusions each time - and wasting the last hour.

Before I post my confused musings can I ask what output file name format you are using please Martin? Edit: Also, what version of foobar?

You may be pleased to know that I have actually had some success this morning - but not all the time! Update: I am having no luck at the moment with any settings, so the ratio has fallen to something like 3 successes to 30 fails...

I think this is to do with using STDIN as the input (source), but I need to do a load more testing to make any clear conclusions.  I have made many so far this morning - some I've disproved and others I'm just not sure about. Update: I'm having no luck at the moment using %s either, so I'm not so sure.

Perhaps I should try the destination directory also if the input spec is stdin?
I think this will be useful.  My vague suspicion at the moment is that foobar is using the source directory as the current directory, but because STDIN is being used it is using a "cached" source directory... which is obviously not ideal.  As I say, this is only a suspicion at the moment.  My head is already spinning from this morning's tests. Update: I don't think this is the reason as using %s is proving unsuccessful for me too at the moment.

To allow users to use STDIN while embedding from a file it would be useful to check the destination directory also.  I know the WAVPACK directory is the default place to check, but in normal use the file, if a relative path, is normally going to be in the source or destination folder - and if there's no physical source...

I'm not sure if I have the "special version" or not!  I'll download the latest version from wavpack.com - but I'm keen to diagnose my current setup, as I know it will and won't work - and would like to find out the circumstances for each. Update: I found the "special" version in this post. I have tested using this (@*.cue), with %s instead of stdin, and it works.  I'm still detirmed to work out the varying and frustrating results I'm getting with the "normal" version though.  Although I managed to get it to work this morning subsequent tests have all (using %s and stdin) been unsuccessful! NB: I realise that this isn't a WavPack issue.  It's me or foobar that's confusing me.  Thanks for the * code though, as that may end up being the way I have to go.

Thank you both.

WAVPACK.EXE : 4.2 2005-04-02 (EXE modified date 2005-04-02 12:00).

WAVPACK_DEBUG.EXE : 4.2x  2005-07-13 (EXE modified date 2005-07-13 23:37).

WAVPACK.EXE (special) : 4.x 2005-09-13 (EXE modified 13 September 2005 20:45:20)
I'm on a horse.

Reply #28
OK, I think I may have it. (don't give it to me!)

This is why I thought foobar was "caching" the source directory.

foobar appears to use the folder last specified when the output folder is specified by the user manually via dialogue ("Convert > Convert to..." in 0.9 or "Always ask before writing" checked in 0.8.3).

So, if you select the "Same as source file directory" checkbox in 0.8.3, or use "Convert > Convert to same directory" in 0.9, the folder which you last specified via dialogue box is used as the current directory - not this source file's directory.

To confirm my final conclusion I created the following:
  • C:\One\test.cue
  • C:\One\test-one.wav
  • C:\Two\test.cue
  • C:\Two\test-two.wav
The last folder I had specified via dialogue before this test was C:\DOS\Testing
  • I go to convert to same directory (Convert to same directory) on test-one.wav.  Fail.
  • I go to convert to same directory (Convert to same directory) on test-two.wav.  Fail.
  • I go to convert test-one.wav and specify to output to C:\One (Convert to...).  Success!
  • I go to convert to same directory (Convert to same directory) on test-one.wav.  Success!
  • I go to convert to same directory (Convert to same directory) on test-two.wav.  Success! However the cuesheet embedded is C:\One\test.cue - not C:\Two\test.cue (as C:\One is the last folder I specified manually by dialogue).
The reason I was getting so many fails in my test was presumably as the last folder I specified by dialogue did not have my test cuesheet in, and I wasn't specifying the output dir each time to save me time while testing!

So, to conclude:  works fine if you specify the output directory manually - but not if you select to automatically output to the same directory as the source. Edit: works fine if you specify the output folder manually, only do one file at a time, and use 0.9.

NB: This isn't brilliant for me as I want to do this en masse - which means that outputting to the source directory is the easiest way for me.  I guess I'll use the @*.cue method with 4.x.  I just tested by converting both test-one.wav and test-two.wav, in one run (in 0.9), and manually specified the output folder as C:\.  Both files converted, but both files have C:\One\test.cue embedded.  Make of that what you will! (remember C:\ has no test.cue file)

Edit: Actually this may well only apply to 0.9.  I can't get it to work in 0.8.3 at all (Edit: unless I put test.cue in the same folder as WavPack).

Martin, please tell me you are using 0.9!

Also, perhaps you could try converting two+ files at a time, take a look at the embedded cuesheets, and confirm that they are both/all the same one.
I'm on a horse.

Reply #29
Hi Synthetic Soul & Martin H  

I actually made some progress on implementing this metadata from file stuff that was discussed above, and it's already in the special version I did with the experimental noise shaping.

Hi David  Thank you very much for implementing that feature. I had thought a little about if i should begin to make images instead of individual tracks, but i have decided that i like the individual tracks approach better, but to all the people that make images then this new feature is really great... Thank's again 

Martin, please tell me you are using 0.9!

Also, perhaps you could try converting two+ files at a time, take a look at the embedded cuesheets, and confirm that they are both/all the same one.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=329035"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hi Synthetic Soul  Sorry that i forgot to tell you what version i was using. I am using v0.8.3... To test it out for you, i have just ripped 2 CD's to images, and encoded them in fb2k... First i encoded them with the option 'Same as source file directory' enabled, and after that i encoded them again, but this time specified an output directory. Both the times, the two albums had the same Cue Sheet + Log file embedded 

-Martin.

Reply #30
Thanks again Martin.

I'm not sure how you can get it to work in 0.8.3 and I can't,  but I've spent enough time on this already.

As you have also noted that only one directory is being referenced for the cuesheet and log then the process is not robust enough for me to use as is.*

I will use the special version 4.x specify @*.cue, and use %s instead of STDIN.

Either that, or I may just write a batch file to undertake the process.  It is likely I will lose my ARTIST and ALBUM APEv2 tags -unless I can find a way to export to text file and then re-apply (Tag may do this) - but I am thinking that as long as I have the cuesheet I don't really care, and a batch file to do the whole process would be a lot easier, and quicker in the long run.

Thanks again for your help.

Edit:

* FYI My purpose is to convert around 350 APE files with embedded cuesheets and ARTIST/ALBUM APEv2 tags to WavPack.  I am transcoding from DVD storage, so I will have to work a number at a time.  With a btach file i should really be able to do the whole process, so I can just stick a new DVD in, double click the bacth file, and eventually I will have my WavPack files with embedded cuesheets (and possibly APEv2 tags) on hard drive.

Edit 2: Cool, I can use Tag, something like:

TAG.EXE --fromfile %1 "G:\CDBackup%~pn1.wv"

... should copy the tags directly from the APE file to the WV file.
I'm on a horse.

Reply #31
@Synthetic Soul:

You are welcome  I hope that you can get the job done without to much trouble...

-Martin.

Reply #32
Thanks Martin.

I actually wrote the batch file last night and had a brief test with disc #1.  It seemed to work very well.

This is how it works:
  • Iterate through APE files on disc
    • Duplicate APE file's folder structure on local hard drive (MKDIR)
    • Convert APE file to WAV on local hard drive (MAC)
    • Convert WAV to WV (WAVPACK)
    • Delete WAV
    • Copy tags from APE to WV (TAG)
    • Copy CUE to local hard drive and change FILE reference to <name>.wv (SED)
    • Embed cuesheet in WV (TAG)
  • Iterate through LOG files on disc
    • Copy file from disc to hard drive, maintaining folder structure (COPY)
I'm very pleased with this as I can just stick a disc in, double-click my batch file, and away it goes.

Once I'm completely happy with it I'll comment it up and post it on my site.  I know of at least one other member that may find it useful.

Edit:

The current version actually uses the version of MAC with pipe support available here, and can be donwloaded from my website here.  This changes the process to:
  • Iterate through APE files on disc
    • Duplicate APE file's folder structure on local hard drive (MKDIR)
    • Pipe data from APE file to WV file (MAC + WAVPACK)
    • Copy tags from APE to WV (TAG)
    • Copy CUE to local hard drive and change FILE reference to <name>.wv (SED)
    • Embed cuesheet in WV (TAG)
  • Iterate through LOG files on disc
    • Copy file from disc to hard drive, maintaining folder structure (COPY)
I'm on a horse.

Reply #33
@Synthetic Soul:

Great to hear that it's working out for you  It sounds like a really great batch script you have made, and i'm sure that many people would find that extremely valuable when they are up to do a task like yours... Well done 

-Martin.

Reply #34
hi bryant i have been trying out wavpack recently and was wondering if you planed to inculde a frontend at some point? if you dont want to have to write your own maybe you could ask speek if you could use his as its not bad at all link