Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Why can bass be heard over a greater distance? (Read 13311 times) previous topic - next topic

Why can bass be heard over a greater distance?

Reply #25
Anyway, we are talking extreme exposure here and your wife doesn't fall into the "slender males < 40 years" risk group.

Yeah, but I bet HE does.

Reply #26
I know this is a bit off topic, but it kind of reminds me of this test that the guys on Myth Busters did (it's a show on Discovery Channel where they test out, as scientifically as possible, different urban legends) and they were looking for the audio "brown note" (a frequency that is said to make a human lose control of their bowels). The tests they ran showed that the myth was most likely untrue (in that it didn't make the test subject crap his pants), but what was interesting to me what that during they test they tried some lower frequency that was below 20hz (I forget the exact frequency) and the subject said that when he breathed out that he could feel some of his breath being pushed back into his lungs.. Anyways sorry for being a bit off topic..

here's a short article about the episode that Meyer Sound put up: http://www.meyersound.com.au/brownnote.shtm

Reply #27
Hmm, i am not sure if this is related. A while ago, i did a hearing-test at home. I primarily did it because i wanted to know some things about my perception of high frequencies, but during that test some other strange thing happened. In the reference hearingcurve-plot, 40hz was plotted at the top (infinity i guess - in any case, i was espected to not hear it). The strange thing was that i could hear and feel it. I still dont know why.

- Lyx
I am arrogant and I can afford it because I deliver.

Reply #28
Anyway, we are talking extreme exposure here and your wife doesn't fall into the "slender males < 40 years" risk group.

Yeah, but I bet HE does.

Heh heh - I'm 48, but I got CARDED at a restaurant last night!

We did shake one of the gutters loose on our house one time. One end fell off while we were watching a movie with a lot of subsonic content.

The wood behind the gutters was rotten from water seepage and it turned out to be a good thing that we caught it before more damage was done, but all my wife remembers is how my subwoofers shook the gutter loose.

So, no I don't want her even hearing second hand about these articles! 

Mark

Reply #29
Surprised that no one mentioned this (well, maybe it is mentioned in the linked articles), but one of the other important factors is that in typical music, there is a lot more energy in bass than there is in alto and treble. Look at the spectral profile of any pop/rock/techno song -- the bass range is louder than everything else by at least 10 dB.

Reply #30
Since I'm not the first to divurge from the topic, I'll point out that last week's MythBuster's show was exploring a rumour about the use of subsonic sounds as a weapon.

They had a bank of subwoofers and then had a guy stand in the middle with ear protection to protect his eardrums. They cranked up 130 db at the spot he stood and varied from 20 - 100 hz.

No, he didn't toss his cookies or go insane or anything. Of course, letting oneself be subjected to 130 db on purpose may have precluded him as a good test for sanity...

'reminded me of the time we got my subs tuned (with a sine wave generator) to the resonant freq of a wall in our dorm. The whole building was vibrating - we were on the third floor, and the walls in the lobby were shaking. And yes, pictures did fall off of my neighbor's walls (but he was in on it).

Subwoofers aren't *just* for walking dinosaurs in Jurassic Park.

Mark
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=303761"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

You may be interested to know that your internal organs have resonances in the 8-16Hz region, so being subject to high volume sounds in that range can, indeed, be fatal. It's not used by the military for two main reasons: 1) it would require huge amounts of audio power to give any usable range and 2) your own personnel would be equally affected since directing sound at that low a frequency is near impossible.

Reply #31
You may be interested to know that your internal organs have resonances in the 8-16Hz region, so being subject to high volume sounds in that range can, indeed, be fatal. It's not used by the military for two main reasons: 1) it would require huge amounts of audio power to give any usable range and 2) your own personnel would be equally affected since directing sound at that low a frequency is near impossible.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=312513"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

It might be used to take down structures though; large objects like walls and such have resonance at about 10 Hz too (horns of Jericho)? But I guess it's easier to just use explosives.

Reply #32
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=312513"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

It might be used to take down structures though; large objects like walls and such have resonance at about 10 Hz too (horns of Jericho)? But I guess it's easier to just use explosives.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=312674"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I guess the failure of the Tacoma Narrows bridge might be cosidered an extreme case of such resonance - wind-induced in that case: you could consider the wind as being ULF sound.

Reply #33
well if you look at good speaker set up, (not one of those $500 for 7.1 system incuding receiver) you'll notice that sub power is usually as much or greater than that of all the speakers combined.

more power, longer time to dessipate.
The Plan Within Plans