Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: mp3Gain not always able to undo TrackGain (Read 13465 times) previous topic - next topic

mp3Gain not always able to undo TrackGain

Reply #25
How about if you check some songs in your library? 5% of the songs I've tested were messed up; even though I applied the original volume the CRC still wasn't matching, so I had to re-rip.

Grab, let's say 100 songs (200 would be better; I've checked 400), which you've ripped and that contain an undo tag. Copy those files to a seperate folder and restore their original volume. After that, use "Audio Identifier" (AI) to see whether the CRC's are matching or not. The fastest way to do so is to select all files at once and view the LAME-Tag (it might take some seconds to gather the information).

After that, you copy everything that's in the Lame-Tag box to a program that allows you to search easily. I used Ultra Edit...search for "Actual Music CRC:" and all you have to do is to click 'find next' etc. Since the CRC consists of 4 chars only it's pretty easy to find out if the CRC matches.

It's a matter of minutes...I'd be interested in your results...because I think that this error is not related to certain files, tags or anything. I always follow the same procedure, and I can't see any pattern. Some Albums don't have a single dud while others have 1 or 2...most Albums aren't affected at all and I chose files from the last 6 month...it seems totally random...
--alt-presets are there for a reason! These other switches DO NOT work better than it, trust me on this.
LAME + Joint Stereo doesn't destroy 'Stereo'

Reply #26
You say it's totally random - are those albums louder or quieter than others? Or have louder or quieter parts?

Or may have been, I don't know, played in a different program from the others?

As you probably know - these things are never random - it's just that sometimes it's difficult to find the real cause.

Cheers,
David.

Reply #27
You say it's totally random - are those albums louder or quieter than others? Or have louder or quieter parts?

Or may have been, I don't know, played in a different program from the others?

As you probably know - these things are never random - it's just that sometimes it's difficult to find the real cause.

Cheers,
David.
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

no, not that I know off...I don't see any pattern at all. The best would be if somoene could try what I've posted here: [a href="http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=33296&view=findpost&p=294147]http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....ndpost&p=294147[/url]
--alt-presets are there for a reason! These other switches DO NOT work better than it, trust me on this.

Reply #28
Haven't been ignoring you, Jojo. My daughter was born just after I made my last post, so I've been otherwise occupied for a while.

I just ran tests on about 450 files from various sources. No problems.

Not sure what to tell you at this point.

-Glen

Reply #29
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=299704"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

that's what kept bothering me the entire time, because I just couldn't track down the cause of the problem. Do you wanna know why? Because it was random! One of my RAM bars was screwed up, that's what caused the randomness and it also explains why that rather large file I was talking about was often faulty.

It all makes sense now and I'd like to thank you for your patience