Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.

Poll

What's The Best Multimedia Jukebox?

MediaJukebox
[ 36 ] (42.4%)
MusicMatch
[ 9 ] (10.6%)
Real
[ 1 ] (1.2%)
Other
[ 39 ] (45.9%)

Total Members Voted: 130

Topic: What's The Best Multimedia Jukebox? (Read 11706 times) previous topic - next topic

To me the best is MediaJukebox if you have a different opinion fell free to choose and tell me why.

Thank's in advance
Made in Portugal

Reply #1
 Winamp3 baby! 

Reply #2
I use Winamp 3 to play my files but to manage the files with cover art, rip, encode, decode, record from line in and other great features you have to use a jukebox.

Please thoose that choose another tell what is the jukebox you use

Thanks
Made in Portugal

Reply #3
Why use a jukebox?  I don't use a Leatherman to fix my car?
Best too for the job, no "jack of all trades, master of none".

EAC to Rip.
vorbis to encode (command-line oggenc)
Windows Explorer to manage
Winamp to play
Nero to burn
Nero/Winamp to decode (Nero for MP3, Winamp for non-Nero decodable formats).
Cover Art: None, it's stupid.

Reply #4
Since when has winamp become a jukebox? Player yes, jukebox no.

He didn't ask for the reason of why you use SIX (?) different programs either. Just what you preferred as far as jukeboxes went. And the reason the Leatherman was initially developed was to fix the originators car. Read up some more.

Reply #5
Since when has winamp become a jukebox? Player yes, jukebox no.

Winamp3 is considered a Jukebox. It does (or will do) waaaay more than just playing.

Reply #6
Such as?

Reply #7
Such as?

Video playback
CD writing
CD ripping
Audio encoding/transcoding/decoding
Media Library (I think that's the "defining" feature for a jukebox)

And so on.

Reply #8
Music Match - my favorite feature is that I can download playlists directly from MM to my Intel Pocket Concert, makes putting mixes on the player so much easier than finding my favorite songs from 10 different CDs through explorer.

Zin

Reply #9
Winamp3 is as close as I get to that jukebox fud.  Every thing the others have and more will be part of Winamp3 when it matures. B) I know all to well the jack of all trades type. I should since I fall very much in that category.  But for all it's advantages I know well it's pitfalls.  I don't use all in one software. Audio is either Winamp2 or 3. Video is either WMP 6.4 or TCMP. Nero or Fireburner for CD writing. EAC or CDex for CD ripping. For video capture/compression/processing Virtualdub. No jukebox software could do all that or even come close to the quality those proggies put out. The all in one is the biggest sign of the newb or someone with only a passing interest.  If you are keen for the stuff you find formats, codecs, and software you prefer.

Reply #10
As I was tring to say eariler... jukebokes are stupid.  I would prefer to stick to seperate programs instead of using a Jukebox program.

Reply #11
No doubt about it, MediaJukebox is my choice for my 6000+ collection
of mixed ape/mpc/mp3 + some videos.

have a nice day.

Reply #12
I'm cool with using my filesystem and a mysql database as my media jukebox.... But I'm a seperate tool person. I rip with grip/oggenc, add to the db, scan/download cover art+lyrics, put it in the directory with the music files.... I have a php script that browses the whole shebang giving play/download options for the files, showing coves, and giving lyrics. Plus the best thing is it's run off a web server, so I can get to it externally, and provided I leave a blank in the drive, burn a cd, and pick it up on my way past home....

Reply #13
If I had to use all-in-one software, it'd be Media Jukebox - it comes closest to the good separate programs in quality and richness of "advanced" features (secure ripping, external encoder support, mass tagging for several formats, wave editor, Winamp plugin support etc.).

The reason why I don't: Separate programs still do the jobs better and Media Jukebox is not free if you want to use it properly. Also, I don't like the fact that it wants to connect to the Internet so many times.

MusicMatch and Real are plain shit - they don't include any of the features mentioned above and are even fatter than Media Jukebox. I wouldn't even be able to playback my OGG/MPC files.

CU

Dominic

Reply #14
As I was tring to say eariler... jukebokes are stupid. I would prefer to stick to seperate programs instead of using a Jukebox program.

If you have a technical issue with the performance or methods employed by a program, that's certainly valid and would be good info to share. I happen to differ in my preference - if there is a single program that can replace multiple utilities without sacrificing quality or featureset, I will go with a single program. This is, unfortunately, a rarity, so I have a great number of specialized apps.

No jukebox software could do all that or even come close to the quality those proggies put out. The all in one is the biggest sign of the newb or someone with only a passing interest.

It's all software, so denying the technical possibility is facetious and wrong, and thus invalidates the succeeding statement.
No, I am Jack's complete lack of surprise.

Reply #15
No jukebox software could do all that or even come close to the quality those proggies put out. The all in one is the biggest sign of the newb or someone with only a passing interest.

It's all software, so denying the technical possibility is facetious and wrong, and thus invalidates the succeeding statement.

I did not deny the technical possibility. Technically it is possible. I denied the real life possibility because it has yet to ever occur in real life. Hence the jack of all trades syndrome. You can do alot, chances are though you can't do it really well.

You mistake tried and true oppinion with fact.

Reply #16
Well the majority is no jukebox at all but i stick with Mediajukebox it makes all i want because is all-in-one, in other case i will need several programs one to recording, one for tagging, one encoding decoding bla bla bla bla...no thanks
Made in Portugal

Reply #17
If I want to rip an entire CD, though, I use EAC and create a CUE sheet and use Monkey's Audio to compress the wav to ape and then create the apl files.

I think that pretty much moves me out of the newbie category that was mentioned earlier. It's rather funny then, that I would use MediaJukebox for everything else.

Except for some very advanced CD burning. For that I use Nero.

But for all the tagging, organizing, and playing, a jukebox works great.

Reply #18
It wasn't until I got really serious about migrating my CDs and vinyl to digital that I realized trying to get any kind of organization using just Windows Explorer and Winamp 2.x was futile.  It was fine for a few hundred files, but when you get up into the thousands, it's a nightmare.

So, I've been using Media Jukebox and have been pretty happy with it, mostly.  Once you dig in to it a little, it's organizing/sorting features are pretty powerful.  Playslists that would have taken an hour to setup using Winamp take just a few clicks with MJ.  Of course you have to have your tags in order.  Although, on my Win98se machine, it is probably the most crash prone software I'm running right now.  Also, I pretty much use it only for tagging and playing.  I still use EAC for ripping and Feurio! for burning audio CDs (I'm in kind of a dilema at the moment for a data cd burning solution).

Rob

Reply #19
 I love Media Jukebox.
I've been using it for almost 2 years now, and would not go back to the other "this is what I want to be when I grow up" programs.

As for "separate programs", save it for home audio/video components, where once "connected" they do not require operating each unit individually.  IMHO, having (and using) separate programs to obtain a single result, is not worth the effort.  That's like using Notepad to start creating a document because it loads fast, then using Word to add fancy formatting.

So, just in case if the message was lost in my post, I'm voting for MediaJukebox!
Long live JRiver!

Reply #20
Organization is easy for me. One directory for all my music. One subdirectory for every artist. The files inside are labled "artist - album - tracknumber - track name". It works fine in explorer. It works fine over FTP. It works fine over P2P. It works fine in Netscape. It works fine in konqueror. It works Fine in MC. It works fine in Winamp2&3. And it will work fine in any jukebox fud. And this is for a rather extensive collection. I can easily find any song from any artist on any of their albums quick and easy in any program. I am not tied to any jukebox fud. And the separate tools are not as hard as the jukebox evanelists make it sound. Simply point EAC to the artists directory and it will do all the tagging. Same for CDeX. Actually CDeX will even go to the correct directory on it's own. Then play the files with Winamp. And Burn with Nero as nescessary. Two or three tools at most.

Another plus for separate tools it they get updated on a quicker and more regular basis than a jukebox type software.

But to each their own.

Reply #21
I can easily find any song from any artist on any of their albums quick and easy in any program.

But what do you do when, for example, when you want to listen to a random mix of tracks by electronic artists from the 80s?

Another plus for separate tools it they get updated on a quicker and more regular basis than a jukebox type software.

I've only been using Media Jukebox for a few months, but I would estimate that there are minor updates and bug fixes posted probably 3 or 4 times a week.  Also, the development team there is very responsive.  On many occassions, I've seen suggestions for new features or ways to make existing features work better posted on the user forum and a day later a they are implemented in a new update.  I find that pretty amazing...a company that actually listens to it's customers.

Reply #22
I've only been using Media Jukebox for a few months, but I would estimate that there are minor updates and bug fixes posted probably 3 or 4 times a week.  Also, the development team there is very responsive.  On many occassions, I've seen suggestions for new features or ways to make existing features work better posted on the user forum and a day later a they are implemented in a new update.  I find that pretty amazing...a company that actually listens to it's customers.

Thank you.  We're also listening to people like Neo Nako who use Winamp and other products.  We know there are areas where we can improve Media Jukebox.

Jim Hillegass
CEO, J. River

Reply #23
Thank you.  We're also listening to people like Neo Nako who use Winamp and other products.  We know there are areas where we can improve Media Jukebox.

Jim Hillegass
CEO, J. River

Want to see what he is talking about?

Future Version of Media Jukebox

Neo Neko - The turn around with fixes and add ons with J River is not like other software companies. Browse the forum and see how many fixes of Version 8 have been released in the past week.

Listening to: 'All Mixed Up' from '311' by '311' on Media Jukebox

Plus you can do this ^ 

Reply #24
What can I say

MediaJukeBox might be big and might take more memory then our little cute WinAmp.

But......it has somany freaking good options and it's so good extendable....that WinAmp just aint my style.

for instance, if you want to convert with WinAmp....you have to start plugings and hope it goes good. In case of MediaJukeBox is a full featured functoin.

You can't beat that.