Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Recording Streaming Music (Read 3190 times) previous topic - next topic

Recording Streaming Music

Hello.

Is there any good software that allows you to capture an mp3 or vorbis stream directly?

Currently I use Messer which is a great programme but it forces me to capture as a wave then recompress and I would like to avoid this if possible.

Thanks,  BK

Reply #1
Some streamings (if not all) are saved to the temp. internet files folder...
The hidden part of the temp. internet files folder actually.
You could try downloading windows commander and select to view hidden files and look if the stream is saved to a file there.

anyway I guess it depends on the streaming if you can do this or not.

Reply #2
If you right-click on the stream link, you can save the *.m3u file.  This is a text file containing the URL of the actual stream.  Feed this acquired URL into your download manager and you have it.  Depending on the encoding of the stream (mp3, real, windows) the exact proceedure will vary slightly.  Also, live streams are problematic.

Reply #3
As an OS/2 user I use z! to record MP3 streams.  I also use WinAmp 2.80 under the Odin Win32 support and suspect there is probably a plug-in to do what you are looking for.  I would suggest you check at the WinAmp web site for such a plug-in.
Dave

Reply #5
Thanks for your replies. Streamripper seems to be a good prog but I have not tested it yet.

Thanks again....