Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Ogg Vorbis optimized for speed (Read 260055 times) previous topic - next topic

Ogg Vorbis optimized for speed

Reply #150
I don't think Guru has tested beyond the 170 to 180 range yet, which showed ogg to be on par with (and in some cases better than) mpc.

No, need to it's waste of time IMO. Most people with the exception of a few like GuruB can tell the difference, I can't. If it was low-bitrate test then sure why not 
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=353907"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I agree that it's probably futile...but when I still see mpc recommended and touted as the best quality codec in the higher bitrate range, I have to wonder if some more tests are needed to debunk the myth.  Finding a significant number of golden ears and "artifact professionals" would be difficult, though.

I'm referring above to claims like the following:

"Highest quality lossy codec at high bitrates" at dbpoweramp's codec central

and the general exuberance and confidence on display for mpc at the musepack forums when it hasn't seen any real quality improvements since its superiority was initially discovered...they even discount Guru's recent 170-180 kbps test as significant and make broad-sweeping claims that 128 kbps is not transparent (and that such bitrate testing is not interesting), which I think the latest 128 test will prove otherwise.

Reply #151
OK... thanks to HotshotGG and Vinnie97. I do suspect that the inherent superiority of MPC at 192+ kbps is shibboleth unquestioned because only those able to read Japanese can keep up with what those codec developers have been doing.
I'm delighted by how very simple and quick it has been to convert my FLACs for use in my 60 Gb iAudio -- one week to get it two thirds full.  It was because that player has a 9,999 file limit that I decided to go up to around 200 kbps *.ogg . I was surprised that I so readily detected improvement over nominal 160 kbps LAME VBR.

Reply #152
Yes that reminds me... an MPC-fans said that the result is "inconclusive" as it is low bitrate and MPC achieves transparency at high bitrate...

I mean if Vorbis already achieves transparency at -q 5 or -q 6, what's the point of using -q 7 and higher?

If I need exact transparency I'll use FLAC. For my daily use, -q 2 suffices

Reply #153
New version seems to be out.

Reply #154
Not sure what the differences are, but I encoded a couple dozen files with the older version and the new one. I noted an increase of speed of about one percent.

36.28 seconds average for the old version and 36.64 for the new version. Significant or not? I dunno, but hey one percent is one percent 

Reply #155
New version seems to be out.[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=361129"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
New version of what? Where?

Reply #156
The new version of the encoder discussed in this thread, Archer/Lancer. The new version has a build date of January 31st 2006.

http://homepage3.nifty.com/blacksword/

Reply #157
Previous version was based on OggDropXPd 1.8.6. This one is based on 1.8.7. I think it is the only difference.
Ogg Vorbis for music and speech [q-2.0 - q6.0]
FLAC for recordings to be edited
Speex for speech

Reply #158
From google-translated page I think that there are some new optimizations and/or bug-fixes.

Reply #159
Via the Google Japan-English (beta) translation:
Libogg in 1.1.3 update
Oggenc in 2.8 update
OggdropXPd in 1.8.7 version rise
With SSE optimization of mapping_forward and _2class analysis of ICL imperfectly correspondence

Reply #160
Libogg in 1.1.3 update
Oggenc in 2.8 update
With SSE optimization of mapping_forward and _2class analysis of ICL imperfectly correspondence

[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=361215"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

It seems that Lancer 20060131 oggenc2.exe piping from STDIN is broken. Can anyone test it?
Sorry for my English.

Reply #161
Libogg in 1.1.3 update
Oggenc in 2.8 update

[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=361215"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

It seems that Lancer 20060131 oggenc2.exe piping from STDIN is broken. Can anyone test it?
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=361605"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Works here...

"You can specify taking the file from stdin by using - as the input filename.
In this mode, output is to stdout unless an output filename is specified
with -o"

Reply #162

What did you do or use (software and command line arguments) when you had the problem?

Reply #163

What did you do or use (software and command line arguments) when you had the problem?
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=361630"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I use it for the dMC compressor, actually I don't test it by using command line.
Sorry for my English.

Reply #164

[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=361630"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I use it for the dMC compressor, actually I don't test it by using command line.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=361685"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I tested Lancer 20060131 oggenc2.exe today. It seems that feeding a complete wave file form CLI or though pipe to oggenc2 will encode. *BUT* I don't know what dMC / fb2k will feed to oggenc2. To only thing I know is that, oggenc2_lancer20051121 doesn't have such issue.
Sorry for my English.

Reply #165
Works fine here with fb2k & piping.

Reply #166
People, I need previous Lancer 20051121, both oggenc2 and OggDropXPd, but links from official site does not work. Can anybody give working links? Big thanks in advance !

Reply #167
could anyone provide a static linux oggenc with lancer?
please?

Reply #168
People, I need previous Lancer 20051121, both oggenc2 and OggDropXPd, but links from official site does not work. Can anybody give working links? Big thanks in advance ![a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=362299"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
If you will wait I will upload this morning. In RAR format okay?

Reply #169
Yeah. Or 7z.
By the way I already have oggenc2 so you can post OggDropXPd only. Thanks !!!

Reply #170
Works fine here with fb2k & piping.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=362151"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Yup, I simply replaced my old oggenc2 and foobar2000 did its thing on my FLACs.  But I did see that it was faster.
The new oggenc2  works even faster with Stanley Hwang's MediaCoder using mplayer. But my output Oggs have Genre:Unknown and track numbers without preceding 0, e.g., 01. That was so with the November oggenc2, also; can anybody suggest CLI for MediaCoder?

Reply #171
Yeah. Or 7z.
By the way I already have oggenc2 so you can post OggDropXPd only. Thanks !!![{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Uploaded. Get the OggDropXPd Lancer 20051121 [a href="http://marupa.mine.nu/EquityLinks/oggdropxpd_lancer20051121.rar]here[/url].

Just in case, OggEnc 2.6 Lancer 20051121 you can also get here.

Reply #172
I just tried it with dbpoweramp... older version pipes just fine.. this one doesnt

i'll see if i can get it to work....
Vorbis-q0-lowpass99
lame3.93.1-q5-V9-k-nspsytune

Reply #173
dbpoweramp error messages..

Code: [Select]
Encoding standard input to
        "D:\~dmcout.ogg"
at quality 3.00
Internal error: attempt to read unsupported bitdepth 16

Done encoding file "D:\~dmcout.ogg"

File length:  0m 00.0s
       Elapsed time: 0m 00.0s
       Rate:         0.0000
       Average bitrate: 1.$ kb/s

^^ without any extra options, just ' - --output=D:\~dmcout.ogg'

after I removed this from the options file....
--raw --raw-chan=[Channels] --raw-bits=[BitsPerSample] --raw-rate=[SamplesPerSec]
I got this error
ERROR: Input file "(stdin)" is not a supported format

I also tried using [WriteWaveRIFF], but gave me the same error as above (and other junk), and it made my computer 'beep' at me

even though piping works fine with it in foobar2000, it is obvious to me that something is wrong
Vorbis-q0-lowpass99
lame3.93.1-q5-V9-k-nspsytune

Reply #174
dbpoweramp error messages..

Code: [Select]
Encoding standard input to
        "D:\~dmcout.ogg"
at quality 3.00
Internal error: attempt to read unsupported bitdepth 16

Done encoding file "D:\~dmcout.ogg"

File length:  0m 00.0s
       Elapsed time: 0m 00.0s
       Rate:         0.0000
       Average bitrate: 1.$ kb/s

^^ without any extra options, just ' - --output=D:\~dmcout.ogg'

after I removed this from the options file....
--raw --raw-chan=[Channels] --raw-bits=[BitsPerSample] --raw-rate=[SamplesPerSec]
I got this error
ERROR: Input file "(stdin)" is not a supported format

I also tried using [WriteWaveRIFF], but gave me the same error as above (and other junk), and it made my computer 'beep' at me

even though piping works fine with it in foobar2000, it is obvious to me that something is wrong
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=362798"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I also test it with a .pcm file saved from CoolEdit Pro and same error occured.
Sorry for my English.