Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: How to "create" a unique GUID? (Read 4355 times) previous topic - next topic

How to "create" a unique GUID?

While making my own plugin, I have used code from musicmusic's modded foo_search_ex.

Among other things, I "borrowed" this:
Code: [Select]
// {7E409D65-CBE2-41f8-B366-200BFEEEBC40}
const GUID navigator_extension::extension_guid =
{ 0x7e409d65, 0xcbe2, 0x41f8, { 0xb3, 0x66, 0x20, 0xb, 0xfe, 0xee, 0xbc, 0x40 } };
only changing "search_extension" to "navigator_extension".

If I understand this correctly, this is a unique ID, and I guess it isn't such a good idea to copy it from another plugin if you happen to use both plugins, so I should probably have my own GUID. But, where/how to get it? 

Reply #1
upNorth:

I use a utility from VisualStudio called "guidgen.exe". I believe it's located in the Common > Tools folder of the VisualStudio install. As far as I can remember, there are no dependencies.

While making my own plugin, I have used code from musicmusic's modded foo_search_ex.

Among other things, I "borrowed" this:
Code: [Select]
// {7E409D65-CBE2-41f8-B366-200BFEEEBC40}
const GUID navigator_extension::extension_guid =
{ 0x7e409d65, 0xcbe2, 0x41f8, { 0xb3, 0x66, 0x20, 0xb, 0xfe, 0xee, 0xbc, 0x40 } };
only changing "search_extension" to "navigator_extension".

If I understand this correctly, this is a unique ID, and I guess it isn't such a good idea to copy it from another plugin if you happen to use both plugins, so I should probably have my own GUID. But, where/how to get it? 
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=251978"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Reply #2
Thanks, stevekim 

The solution was just as simple as I expected it to be...