Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: foo_uie_volume (Read 123929 times) previous topic - next topic

foo_uie_volume

Reply #25
@kode54:
Yes i can direct your plugin with Components/Volume toolbar [up/down/mute].
But i wondering about do full mixer in foo_looks skin using plugin like this. In foo_looks only way (that i know) to get some value (and display it) is from format title from playlist (for example it could be "%volume_Wave_value%".). And set it from some action (for example: 'Components/Volume toolbar wave up'). I wont to direct all mixer values in the same time and diplay it.  But i thing one value is enouth for me. Sometimes i only need to change master volume and this i can make very handly for now with your plugin. But maybe you take this into consideration in future versions
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=248885"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I can expose my internal mixer through an extra service, and I can also design a callback service for receiving volume change notifications when my component is installed.

I could make my existing control operate based on the value of the core volume level, but then it would conflict with the Volume DSP if both are activated at the same time.

Could it be possible to have a vertical volume slide?
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=248956"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I will have to implement that as a separate panel. I will adapt the current trackbar subclassing system to a vertical orientation, for my next non-bugfix release, which should be soonish.

foo_uie_volume

Reply #26
I will have to implement that as a separate panel. I will adapt the current trackbar subclassing system to a vertical orientation, for my next non-bugfix release, which should be soonish.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=249012"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Cool, thanks

foo_uie_volume

Reply #27
I have nothing else to say than thanks!

Now I can stop using that banned component. I have my poweramp directly connected to the soundcard and need the foobar dithering (windows volume control creates icky artefacts at low volumes). Controlling the pc via a touchscreen, the slider saves the day.

foo_uie_volume

Reply #28
I have my poweramp directly connected to the soundcard and need the foobar dithering (windows volume control creates icky artefacts at low volumes). Controlling the pc via a touchscreen, the slider saves the day.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=249038"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Well, if you're using digital output, then the system volume controls would have to be implemented digitally as well. For best results, that step needs to be applied before sample conversion and dithering. Which is what you're already doing now by using the internal volume DSP.

Slightly off-topic, my card doesn't allow master volume control when operating in digital output mode, but does allow waveout / software MIDI synthesizer / etc control, which are presumably in software. I can see it would have the same impact on dithering, and possibly also on the dynamic range of the output if the signal is scaled digitally and you need to use low volume levels.

Maybe it's best to keep the amplifier at the desired regular volume level and the sound output at maximum. Or something.

foo_uie_volume

Reply #29
Thanks Kode54, it's a great ColumnUI-extension.

Since ColumnsUI-alpha5 the device-settings are not saved (at least here).
Running foobar 0.8.3, ColumnsUI-alpha5 and latest foo_uie_volume (with older uie_volume it's the same) - with alpha4 everything was fine.
I don't know if musicmusic, you or - alike obvious - me has to change something.

edit: language

foo_uie_volume

Reply #30
Well, if you're using digital output, then the system volume controls would have to be implemented digitally as well. For best results, that step needs to be applied before sample conversion and dithering. Which is what you're already doing now by using the internal volume DSP.

Exactly my reasoning.

I am using analog out with a USB box, but I think the 'master' volume is controlled digitally, since output noise, bandwidth etc remain unchanged when changing volume. The codec IC has a S/PDIF output (which is not 'officially' on the box, only internal and haven't tested it yet), which points in the same direction. I'll have to do some tinkering with it to be absolutely sure though.

On my laptop on the other hand, I'm quite sure it's done in the analog domain, since changing master volume changes noise considerably. Hence, there I've disabled fb2k's volume control and am using the system master control.
Slightly off-topic, my card doesn't allow master volume control when operating in digital output mode, but does allow waveout / software MIDI synthesizer / etc control, which are presumably in software. I can see it would have the same impact on dithering, and possibly also on the dynamic range of the output if the signal is scaled digitally and you need to use low volume levels.

Maybe it's best to keep the amplifier at the desired regular volume level and the sound output at maximum. Or something.

Yup. Which is what I do on my workstation (connected to an old Sansui). Still prefer fb2k volume control over windows' though.

My amp in the living room, connected to the media box has no such controls.
On the other hand, with proper dithering the soundcard output noise dwarves the amplifier's noise in measurement. In listening both are inaudible, even with 98 dB sensitive speakers. The soundcard also does a 20 dB better THD+N than the amp. As such, the situation doesn't bother me in the least. In fact, I rather like the 'direct' route.

Sorry for the threadjack. My morale: use system controls when they influence noise out (and when audible), use fb2k instead wherever possible.

(but remember to turn off system sounds in that case!)

foo_uie_volume

Reply #31
Thanks Kode54, it's a great ColumnUI-extension.

Running foobar 0.8.3, ColumnsUI-alpha5 and latest foo_uie_volume (with older uie_volume it's the same) - with alpha4 everything was fine.
I don't know if musicmusic, you or - alike obvious - me has to change something.

edit: language
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=249067"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Have you checked if settings persist within the same session?

1) Select mixer and control.
2) Close Preferences.
3) Reopen Preferences.

To all who currently have a problem with the configuration not working, unload all other resident mixer configuration utilities one by one until the problem goes away. It seems rather stupid that a driver set has a limit on how many applications can have the mixer open at the same time.

foo_uie_volume

Reply #32
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=249067"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Same here, but hapens since alpha 4 in my case. It doesn't even save the settings when foobar is open. If I switch to my soundcard (soundblaster) and I hit 'save all' it automatically switch back to 'foobar2000 internal'.

foo_uie_volume

Reply #33
@ Kode54 :  ..no, it even does not remember settings within the same session.
Does my foo has alzheimer? I need a doctor *running around crazily*

..no prob at all 

foo_uie_volume

Reply #34
No, that means it's having trouble opening your mixer device.

Uploaded v1.31.
  • Added error logging, the console should always pop up on most serious errors.

foo_uie_volume

Reply #35

..selfmade trouble, or at least due to ColumnsUI 
After pressing 'save all' it changes to internal again

foo_uie_volume

Reply #36

..selfmade trouble, or at least due to ColumnsUI 
After pressing 'save all' it changes to internal again
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=249274"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Do you even have the console installed?

foo_uie_volume

Reply #37
Yes (loaded libaries: ...foo_console.dll...), had a look at it directly after the problem came up - nothing spectacular was told.
Happens at home and here at my working place - and only ColumnUI and Volume-extension was changed; changing to old Volume-extension still does not help.

foo_uie_volume

Reply #38
Crap, there was a lame bug in my configuration dialog's range checking. Fixed now.

foo_uie_volume

Reply #39
Thx - keep up the good koding stuff

foo_uie_volume

Reply #40
@kode54:
Yes i can direct your plugin with Components/Volume toolbar [up/down/mute].
But i wondering about do full mixer in foo_looks skin using plugin like this. In foo_looks only way (that i know) to get some value (and display it) is from format title from playlist (for example it could be "%volume_Wave_value%".). And set it from some action (for example: 'Components/Volume toolbar wave up'). I wont to direct all mixer values in the same time and diplay it.  But i thing one value is enouth for me. Sometimes i only need to change master volume and this i can make very handly for now with your plugin. But maybe you take this into consideration in future versions
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=248885"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I can expose my internal mixer through an extra service, and I can also design a callback service for receiving volume change notifications when my component is installed.

I could make my existing control operate based on the value of the core volume level, but then it would conflict with the Volume DSP if both are activated at the same time.

Could it be possible to have a vertical volume slide?
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=248956"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=249012"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

That will be great  .
Keep up working on this very useful plugin.

foo_uie_volume

Reply #41
I have WXP-home-sp2,
foobar 0.8.3 (latest special install)+foo_massdelete1.7+foo_openwith0.4
columns UI 0.1.2b4
foo uie volume 1.3.2

The volume control disappeared one day and is no longer offered by right clicking on the toolbar.  I.e., I can't get it to show anymore.
I messed with the colums ui, checked the "list all toolbars" (it warned me about possible unexpected behavior), and the choice of "playlist switcher" was added to the list but not volume control.

The volume extension configuration screen IS accesible.  I messed with the few settings in there a little to no avail.

foo_uie_volume

Reply #42
I have WXP-home-sp2,
foobar 0.8.3 (latest special install)+foo_massdelete1.7+foo_openwith0.4
columns UI 0.1.2b4
foo uie volume 1.3.2

The volume control disappeared one day and is no longer offered by right clicking on the toolbar.  I.e., I can't get it to show anymore.
I messed with the colums ui, checked the "list all toolbars" (it warned me about possible unexpected behavior), and the choice of "playlist switcher" was added to the list but not volume control.

The volume extension configuration screen IS accesible.  I messed with the few settings in there a little to no avail.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=256991"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I think the plugin needs updated to work with the new version of the column UI.  I just noticed it's missing here too and thats the only thing thats changed.

foo_uie_volume

Reply #43
Actually though, the volume bar disappeard under an older configuration.. older versions of both colums ui and volume.  The combination worked for a while.

The volume panel disappeared before I changed anything about the foobar configuration.  I updated to ui0.1.2b4 and volume1.3.2 to see if it would fix the problem.  (It didn't)  So I don't think it's merely an update required issue, since the old working configuration stopped working randomly before any changes happened.

Not to belittle kode54 or his plugin, (I'm really grateful to foobar developers), but I've discovered that I never used the volume control except during my first test drive.  I got so used to just pushing +/- keys that the thing simply slipped from my mind, and it took me a long time to notice that it was gone.

But I like that the volume slider helps make foobar more "accesible" to some people.

foo_uie_volume

Reply #44
I noticed after installing foo_uie_volume today I noticed that the middle wheel scrolling in the volume tab affects the scrolling in my foo_playlist_tree extension when using the panel stack extension.  I tested on albumlist too, and scrolling on that breaks too...

Is this a problem with the panel stack plugin or could it be something in foo_uie_volume?

Thanks for plugin, its very useful...
There used to be a link to my website here.

foo_uie_volume

Reply #45
You can add/remove it like every other columns extension. Rightclick in the sidebar or menubar -> 'Toolbars' -> 'Volume control'
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=247884"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hello everyone,

I don't know why or what it is I'm doing wrong, but I can't get this volume slider to appear.

I'm definitely using columns UI, as set in the display section of the preferences of Foobar. The problem is, I can't seem to enable the volume control. If I right-click anywhere in the foorbar window, I get a menu, but at no point does the menu include "Toolbars...".

If I call the menu in the tabs above the songs where I can sort by artist or title or whatever, I get to choose what tabs are visible, and I can go to the columsUI preferences. If I right-click in the sidebar, I get a whole bunch of playlist options like masstagging, replaygain etc. If I click in any of the moveable toolbars like song progress or the play controls, I get to choose which of those are visible ( Menu, vis, seek, playback order, playback buttons) or lock the taskbar. If I click in the bar at the bottom of the window I get the same menu as the playlist sidebar.

What am I doing wrong? I really want a volume slider, or I may be forced to go back to Winamp

foo_uie_volume

Reply #46
What am I doing wrong? I really want a volume slider, or I may be forced to go back to Winamp
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=258694"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Preferences>Display>Columns UI>Others>  Check 'List all toolbars' 

foo_uie_volume

Reply #47
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=258694"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Preferences>Display>Columns UI>Others>  Check 'List all toolbars' 
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=258704"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

(image removed)

I tried clicking "Reset all toolbars" but no luck.

foo_uie_volume

Reply #49
Your version of columns_ui is too old.
Update(0.1.2RC1): http://music.everywebhost.com/
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=258716"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Phew! Well, my bad, sorry. After downloading the latest RC and 7-zip and recalling why it is we have GUIs these days, I finally have my volume slider. Nice!

Thanks all!