Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Mr QuestionMan 0.5 released (Read 24886 times) previous topic - next topic

Mr QuestionMan 0.5 released

As you may know, Mr QuestionMan is the EncSpot like app, that can analyze your audio files and provide you with some usefull info, like encoder used, bitrate etc. This is the first official release (previous versions were only released here at HA). Enjoy!

http://burrrn.net/mrq

Reply #1
Not many changes from the last version, the main point was to get the page up and running.

- new icon! (thanks to bildmischer... er, sorry, I mean picmixer )
  - now quesses the Vorbis encoder version
  - added optional AlphaBlend effect when moving the window (kinda useless but nice , can be enabled in the Settings)
  - added simple support for auCDtect.exe (put it in the same folder as Mr QuestionMan and doubleclick a wav file in the list view)
  - new treeview component, the old one was too buggy (note to developers: you need to install the TurboPower ShellShock component)

Reply #2
Thanks Gambit.

Reply #3
Nice, thanks.

Maybe its a idea to write a little something on your website what mr.questionman is, and what kind of formats it can scan. People who surf by your website will never know what it is now.

Reply #4
This proggy shows:

Shame on you for having WMA files !

Reply #5
I´ve loved this program since the beginning! A lot faster than EncSpot. Thanks!

The only thing I would like is identification of AAC (mp4 and m4a) files.

Reply #6
The program is pretty cool, yes. Anyways, the reason why it is faster than EncSpot is that it relies on only one frame header. EncSpot scans 1000 frames headers in the default configuration.

Reply #7
Thank you Gambit! Even from the very beginning this has been a wonderful tool. Keep it up.

Reply #8
Very neat and usable program - and a nice sense of humour

'Number of channels' would be good if you get the time to code it.

UJ

Reply #9
There is no linux version of this, correct?

- Agent 86

Reply #10
Great tool, thanks

Reply #11
What a trekkie!
She is waiting in the air

Reply #12
Problem for me (and for asian peoples) is any Japanese(double byte) filename and folder name can't seen in this tool.

Reply #13
Gambit, thanks a million for including auCDtect support in Mr Questionman.  What a huge help.  I've been working on writing auCDtect install/usage instructions for users with no command-line experience, but you've just made my job (and their lives) tons easier.

Say, one question/suggestion:  It looks like MrQ runs auCDtect at the default speed (8).  Any way you might change that to use the slowest, most accurate speed (-m0) in the next version?

Reply #14
Hello,
thanx for the great program. But I believe I found a bug in it (v0.5). In the settings dialog there is no OK/Cancel button, so the only chance is to close the window. In this case, the settings I changed are returned back to default values.
And  now one future request. Would it be too complicated to implement a frequency analysis part to check, if a lowpass was used or if there aren't any other quality problems. Or is somewhere available a tool to do this? I just want to see a histogram with frequencies.
And the last thing - mp3pro files are not identified. The program says they are encoded using FhG.
Best regards,
Vlada

Reply #15
Hello,
thanx for the great program. But I believe I found a bug in it (v0.5). In the settings dialog there is no OK/Cancel button, so the only chance is to close the window. In this case, the settings I changed are returned back to default values.
And  now one future request. Would it be too complicated to implement a frequency analysis part to check, if a lowpass was used or if there aren't any other quality problems. Or is somewhere available a tool to do this? I just want to see a histogram with frequencies.
And the last thing - mp3pro files are not identified. The program says they are encoded using FhG.
Best regards,
Vlada
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=235647"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

This can be done without spectrum-analasis - at least for lame-encoded files, because the lowpass is stored in the lame-tag if i remember right. Also, every mp3 (or almost any lossy codec) uses a lowpass (to improve the quality) - the question is just "at which frequency was it applied?".

- Lyx
I am arrogant and I can afford it because I deliver.

Reply #16
omg gambit is that you in the pic?
Be healthy, be kind, grow rich and prosper

Reply #18
Hello,
Best regards,
Vlada
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=235647"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

This can be done without spectrum-analasis - at least for lame-encoded files, because the lowpass is stored in the lame-tag if i remember right. Also, every mp3 (or almost any lossy codec) uses a lowpass (to improve the quality) - the question is just "at which frequency was it applied?".

- Lyx
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=235660"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

You're right. What I wanted to know, is the lowpass frequency. I believe it shouldn't be so difficult to find out the frequency, even if there is no LAME tag. A wrong lowpass frequency can do a lot of damage to an MP3 file.
Vlada

Reply #19
Mr QuestionMan 0.6 beta
  - added TTA support
  - updated WavPack support to handle version 4 files
  - updated and fixed Wav reading (though still not perfect with some rare files )
  - some small additions and bug fixes

http://burrrn.net/mrq/Files/MrQuestionMan06beta.rar

Reply #20
Great application! Very useful 

I've a feature request for a future version: I'd really like to see which tagging formats (if any) are used on a particular file. For example ID3v1, ID3v2, APEv2,...

Regards,

Tikke24x

Reply #21
I really like Mr. QuestionMan and it has worked for every audio filetype I've tried on it, except one.  The only thing I've found it doesn't work with is MPEG-4 AAC with a .mp4 extension.  Any plans on it?

Otherwise very very nice app.  I use it to identify downloaded mp3s and I tag the comment field with which encoder was used to make them  It's also nice to be able to tell which Vorbis build I used to encode certain files, etc.
Nero AAC 1.5.1.0: -q0.45

Reply #22
Tested yesterday MQM 0.6beta: it's fine, but indications for wavpack 4.xx lossless profile are apparently wrong. I'm using -fx5 (fast) as setting, and MQM shows wavpack 4 (high). Bitrate information is nevertheless OK (similar/identical to foobar2000 indication)
Wavpack Hybrid: one encoder for all scenarios
WavPack -c4.5hx6 (44100Hz & 48000Hz) ≈ 390 kbps + correction file
WavPack -c4hx6 (96000Hz) ≈ 768 kbps + correction file
WavPack -h (SACD & DSD) ≈ 2400 kbps at 2.8224 MHz

Reply #23
There is a problem with GOGO encoded data. 

CBR encoded files get correctly identified, VBR ones are detected as "MPEG 1 Layer III Xing"

Used encoder was http://www.rarewares.org/files/mp3/gogo313.zip
Friends don't let friends use lossy codecs.  (char0n)

Reply #24
It would be quite simple to port Mr. QuestionMan to Linux. Just download Kylix Open Edition from Borland and try it. I did, but I'm not interested in the GUI version, so I whipped together a MP3 only, console Linux program from it. (But no, it didn't compile straight away, so you need to do a few changes in the GUI.)

http://www.christian.daven.name/software/mp3qm.php