Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Feature Request (Read 1520 times) previous topic - next topic

Feature Request

Just found this out..

The *.M4B file extension is the file extension iTunes uses for an audiobook format.

I believe (but do not have proof of this yet) that the actual format of the file is identical to an M4P if you purchase one through the iTunes Music Store. The only difference is the extension and the way in which iTunes and the iPod treat files with these extensions.

If a file has an M4B extension, it's considered to be an audiobook file and iTunes/iPod will remember the position in the file from when it was last stopped playing. Thus you'd be able to resume playing where you left off.

This actually works for M4A (non protected) files as well, in fact. Just rename the file and iTunes/iPod will treat it differently in this respect. Works pretty well, as I've just started converting a lot of my audio books to single big files and renaming them this way for my iPod.

Anyway, it'd be nice if Foobar supported this extension as an MPEG 4 file format as well. Dunno how hard that is really, but I kinda doubt it's very hard at all.