Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Formatting of the playlist search results? (Read 2513 times) previous topic - next topic

Formatting of the playlist search results?

I'm using these formatting strings (by Alu):

http://pelit.koillismaa.fi/fb2k/strings.php?f=83

I like the way these strings divide the playlist to albums. The problems is the playlist search function (the one you get by pressing F3). The results look really bad. So bad that they are almost useless. Is there anyway to define a separate formatting string for playlist search results?

Reply #1
Hmh, no there is no way to determine a seperate display string for the standard playlist search.

However there is in some third party plugins such as foo_dbsearch and I think also in the extend search.  Both of these also offer the ability to search in playlists.  My personaly preference goes to foo_dbsearch, but thats just me.

Reply #2
I don't think so. I use the Database Search instead:
  • Set ctrl+F3 as a global hotkey for Main/Components/Database Search
  • Tweak the formatting in Prefs > Database Search
  • In the Search pop-up, leave the Format as Custom Search String and the Pattern to Match All.
That's so plausible, I can't believe it.

Reply #3
picmixer, I will checkout those third party plugins, but I'd still love to be able to use the normal playlist search, too.

Thanks for the tip, DustMagnet. I added Ctrl-F3 for Extended Search and Shift-F3 for history.

The extended search is not a good replacement for the playlist search, however. I couldn't figure out a way to jump directly to the found song in the current playlist, which is the main use for the F3 playlist search. Is it possible?

Reply #4
I'll reccomend foo_playlistfind - seems to do what you want. Its inobtrusive too.

Reply #5
Excellent tip, Paranoia. Thank you. A very nice plugin. The first version of foo_playlistfind I found didn't work with 0.8, but a forum search found another, working version from here:

http://foobar2000.free.fr/generaux/playlist_find.html

I also managed to make the internal playlist half-usable with the album based playlist formatting string by changing the font to Lucinda Console 8pt (which is quite ugly, but still). It would be cool if some future version would allow a separate formatting string for the internal playlist search.

Reply #6
My personaly preference goes to foo_dbsearch, but thats just me.

I just installed and tested foo_dbsearch. It's an excellent plugin. Damn, foobar2000 is great :-).

Reply #7
My personaly preference goes to foo_dbsearch, but thats just me.

I just installed and tested foo_dbsearch. It's an excellent plugin. Damn, foobar2000 is great :-).

Good stuff. That's the plug-in I was talking about, but I forgot that you may not have foo_dbsearch installed yet. ;-)
That's so plausible, I can't believe it.