Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Question about ReplayGain (Read 1577 times) previous topic - next topic

Question about ReplayGain

When we speak about dynamic range in CDs we know that CDs has a maximum dynamic range of 96 dB (6*16). Assuming that -96 dB is the lowest volume and 0 dB is the highest, I was wondering if it is correct to consider 100 dB in ReplayGain equal to 0 dB of medium volume level and so 89 dB in RG equal to a medium volume level -11 dB and 4 db in RG equal to a medium volume level of -96 dB? I know that it can be a silly question but I wanted to be sure about this...Thanx for answers

Question about ReplayGain

Reply #1
Hi vize84,

That's not a silly question at all. In fact, it's not a trivial question to answer.

The best post I can find on it is here:
http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....pic=15445&st=41

In that thread, someone suggested changing the ReplayGain values so that they were tied to 0dB FS on CD. The discussion explains the difference between the values on CD, the ReplayGain value, and the relationship between the two. If you read it, I think it'll answer your question.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
David.