Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Confused about Foobar (Read 4435 times) previous topic - next topic

Confused about Foobar

I'm wanting to tag my mp3 files with Foobar. That's all. I need some help choosing the best settings, how u tag files, and also maybe an easier way to tag (such as a script?). I also need to know how to be able to write tags with the field names Orig. Artist, URL, and Encoded By because I tried to make those field names but for some reason there is nothing there when i go into winamp. Although it seems that I know how to tag, I might be doing something wrong, that is why I also ask how to tag.

Confused about Foobar

Reply #2
use the mass tagger to do scripts (select files, right click, masstagger)

It is very flexible.

Confused about Foobar

Reply #3
OK I've figured how to make the Orig. Artist work. Type "OrigArtist" for the field name .

Confused about Foobar

Reply #4
For encoded by u put "EncodedBy"

Confused about Foobar

Reply #5
Small hint: Look at a file tagged by Winamp with all the information you need and look in the Properties window of foobar2000 to find out what foo_id3v2 calls those fields.

dev0
"To understand me, you'll have to swallow a world." Or maybe your words.

Confused about Foobar

Reply #6
thank you

Confused about Foobar

Reply #7
Another question, what is the difference between Synchronized Lyrics and Unsynchronized Lyrics for the ID3 tags??

Confused about Foobar

Reply #8
ID3.org would have been a better place to look for that information. The official standard describes what each field is ment for.
"To understand me, you'll have to swallow a world." Or maybe your words.

Confused about Foobar

Reply #9
k thank you

Confused about Foobar

Reply #10
Some more things im confused about. What do the settings do under Prefences/Components/ID3v2 tag support? Also, why would u want to write tags without padding? Does padding lengthen the audio file?

Confused about Foobar

Reply #11
Any help????????????????

Confused about Foobar

Reply #12
Some more things im confused about. What do the settings do under Prefences/Components/ID3v2 tag support? Also, why would u want to write tags without padding? Does padding lengthen the audio file?

I think it is so the entire file data does not need to be moved, rather it leaves some empty space to be filled with tags.

this is only an issue in id3v2 if i am correct.

if not, then tell me.

Confused about Foobar

Reply #13
Well, the questions just keep coming, but that's what happens when u change to a new program with so much freedom and custom options . I read the description for Set Value and Add Value at this site foobar2000 Documentation but i still wonder, which one do u use to write the tag info?

Confused about Foobar

Reply #14
If a tag with the same name already exists, Set Value changes the existing tag (the original value will be lost); Add Value creates a new tag with the same name (without removing the already existing one) IIRC.

Confused about Foobar

Reply #15
Is there a way to add on to what you already have with Foobar? Add value doesnt do it...it just simply makes another field under the same category with a different name. Winamp only reads the first one. So is there a way where you have what's already in there and then you put more in the field and it is shown right after that instead of making another field?

Confused about Foobar

Reply #16
Is there a way to add on to what you already have with Foobar? Add value doesnt do it...it just simply makes another field under the same category with a different name. Winamp only reads the first one. So is there a way where you have what's already in there and then you put more in the field and it is shown right after that instead of making another field?

If it's the same thing you want to add to all files, you can use Format value from other fields in the masstagger.
Eg. if you had several files and you want to add "(Original Mix)" to their titles, you'd set Destination field name to TITLE and Formatting pattern to %title% '('Original Mix')'. You can also add another fields in a similar way, eg. you could append the date to the album title with %album% - %date%.
But if you can't find a pattern that works for all files... I guess you'll have to do it manually then.