Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: "If tag x=y, send/add to playlist z" (Read 2848 times) previous topic - next topic

"If tag x=y, send/add to playlist z"

I usually have all my music on one big playlist and I just let it play through. Sometimes I also make playlists of different genres, so all rock songs go to playlist called rock and so on, or then I just add all songs that ie. have rating over 4 to my favs playlist. Currently I'm doing this via the almighty foo_dbsearch or the new foo_albumlist.
However this isn't the most convenient way of doing this. What I'd like to see would be a plugin that automatically adds all files that match a user definable criteria to a playlist. Of course there could be many criterias, ie. "add all songs that have %rating% over 4 to playlist called favs" and "add all songs with %genre%=grunge to playlist called grunge."
So if I get a new Nirvana song and rate it to be worth of 6 it automatically adds it to favs and grunge playlists. Simple, isn't it?
It would also be cool if it could always sort the different playlists with defined sorting strings always when it modifies them.

Reply #1
i like the idea. i could code something like 'send to playlist using metadata' to be used on a selection of items in playlist, however that would need new version of foo_lua

Reply #2
Ya,

these are dynamic playlists. If you have ever used iTunes (  ), this in fact is a pretty badass feature.

iTunes has smartplaylists, which builds playlists according to a set of rules. This is not that much different, except your creating a bunch of playlists at the same time.

What would be even cooler, if you had that Nirvana song tagged via FreeDB, and it return the genre as Rock, the plugin would send the song to the "Rock" playlist, but if u went back and changed the genre to "Grunge", the plugin would remove the song from the "Rock" playlist and move it to the "Grunge" playlist.

I think ideas like this would work better if someone would make a full database for foobar, with metadata, and things like ratings, and playcounts etc.

Some of this was discussed in the iPod plugin thread. =/

Reply #3
Media Jukebox/Media Center also has this feature. It's called "smartlists" there.

And yes, it's a pretty cool feature, since it saves you the effort to maintain your playlists.

Combined with the excellent TAGZ support that foobar2000 already has, some really powerful things should be possible.

Edit: I just wanted to add: this is one of the two features I miss the most since I switched from MJ/MC to FB2K. The other feature is the "party mode" (i.e. a password-protected read-only mode).
Over thinking, over analyzing separates the body from the mind.

Reply #4
I think ideas like this would work better if someone would make a full database for foobar, with metadata, and things like ratings, and playcounts etc.

The foobar database already does these, except maybe playcounts.