Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: hydrogenaudio needs a favicon (Read 12270 times) previous topic - next topic

hydrogenaudio needs a favicon

Looks like:

(in case you don't have a viewer that can view .ico files properly)

download favicon.ico

Perhaps the background colour should be transparent, not white - but I don't know how to do this in .ico files.

Regards, fileman.

Reply #2
At a guess, the kind of image that shows up in the favorites folder of your web browser.

Reply #3
Nice Idea, I like favicons
FLAC --> MP3 (Lame 3.96.1: V5 --athaa-sensitivity 1)

Reply #4
Favicons are those small icons showing up in your URL bar and in your favourites of your browser...

Look here:

Reply #5
Favicon??
Is that the "icon" which shows on the address bar? (at the left of the url)?
HA doesnt have one yet...I think is a nice touch, some sites use it...
Is it hard to implement?
"Jazz washes away the dust of everyday life" (Art Blakey)

Reply #6
Not hard at all.  Just add this to the page headers:
<LINK REL="SHORTCUT ICON" HREF="/favicon.ico">
-=Gonzotek=-
Please Keep Our Forum Clean!

Reply #7
Yes, HA definitely needs a favicon. I like the idea and I like the icon you've suggested.

~ Florian

Reply #8
-=Gonzotek=-

I think that you need only to copy an icon with name "favicon.ico" in the root of the site and all page of the site automatically load that icon...

damjang

Reply #9
I think that you need only to copy an icon with name "favicon.ico" in the root of the site and all page of the site automatically load that icon...

Correct, nice and easy to implement.

PS. icon looks great!

Reply #10
-=Gonzotek=-

damjang

That's true, but it seems to be more reliable with the link tag.
Dan

Reply #11
-=Gonzotek=-

damjang

Yep.  I've got apache running on NT4, and only IE5+ would show the favicon without the link tag(which is admittedly 99% of my traffic, but if I couldn't see it... ).  Mozilla didn't work unless the link tag was present on a page at the time, but that may have changed in the 1.5 years since I set it up, I haven't checked on that.

Here's a nice reference page for favicons:
http://www.thesitewizard.com/archive/favicon.shtml
Please Keep Our Forum Clean!

Reply #12

Can you clarify for me what goes in the place of "SHORTCUT ICON" and "/favicon.ico"? I presume that if I upload an icon to my server, I can put the URL of the icon in place of "SHORTCUT ICON" for my own message board?

Hope you can help, this would be useful for my own site.

Reply #13
Can you clarify for me what goes in the place of "SHORTCUT ICON" and "/favicon.ico"?

Don't replace SHORTCUT ICON with anything. Just change /favicon.ico to the path of the icon.

Reply #14
doesn't have to be an .ico file. one can use a gif or png as well:

Code: [Select]
<link rel="icon" href="/images/site/favicon.png" type="image/png" />

Reply #15
I too think that Hydrogenaudio needs a so called "favicon"... I was just about to suggest one when I saw this thread...

Reply #16
-=Gonzotek=-

damjang

I think the server is better.

take a look at this site: http://susning.nu/

The "A" icon is on the root, the "S" is the html link.

Mozilla Firebird shows "S" in the tab and "A" in the urlbar. If it didn't have the html link it would show an "S" in both places. (I don't know on other browsers)

Reply #17
I think the server is better.

Why not use the same icon for both? Both seem to work, so double up on security and do that.

As a side note, the admins don't seem too crazy about this, so you all may be outta luck. Sad, really, as I've wanted HA to have a favicon for a while, but oh well.

Reply #18
Yeah we'll look into it..

Reply #19
Mildly off topic, but does anyone know how to get IE to cont to display the favicons?
When I first add a favorite with an icon, the icon is there. But after I restart my computer the icon is gone forever.

Reply #20
Mildly off topic, but does anyone know how to get IE to cont to display the favicons?
When I first add a favorite with an icon, the icon is there. But after I restart my computer the icon is gone forever.

You might have it set so it deletes the contents of the folder "Temporary Internet Files" on exit. The favicons are also saved there.

Reply #21
What happened with the favicon? The hydrogenaudio link looks so empty and colorless in my bookmarks...

Reply #22
What happened with the favicon? The hydrogenaudio link looks so empty and colorless in my bookmarks...

Hey, the link works again... i'll look into it. The day i first wanted to add it, i couldn't download it.

Reply #23
Okay, the favicon is uploaded, no change to the headers yet. Works in IE and Firefox here, but others seem to have problems... clearing the browser cache might work sometimes. Reply here if there are consistent problems.

Also, can the size be reduced any more? 3 KB seem a little much for an icon.

Reply #24
Works flawless here as well with Opera 7.50

Great to see a favicon for HA