Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Foobar freezes/noise (Read 2289 times) previous topic - next topic

Foobar freezes/noise

I'm having a problem with Foobar 7.7, where often playback freezes during a track.  Opening the window reveals that the interface and everything still works fine, but the visualization and progress bar are stopped.  The player gives no indication that it is paused, however hitting pause twice will restart playback.

These freezes are usually preceded by a short burst of noise, but they do not always happen in the same places in the file.  A clean install of Foobar did not resolve the issue, and switching to waveout output does stop playback from "pausing" but there are still short bursts of noise that do not occur in reproducable locations and are not part of the file.

This error does not occur when playing the same files through windows media player or winamp.

This error does seem to manifest itself only in unusually large files and has done so in both mp3 and mpc.  The primary files in which this error manifests are between 20 and 40 megs, and the error seems to occur only after playback has gone on for more than 7 or 8 minutes.

Anyway, I tried updating my sound drivers and I'm out of ideas.

Foobar freezes/noise

Reply #1
As always, could you post more details about your configuration (hardware, OS, installed plugins etc)? Then it would be more helpfull to the developer or other users to help you.

Foobar freezes/noise

Reply #2
I'm running XP with SP1 on a 1700mhz Thoroughbred based system.  Audio is being played from a 60gig Western Digital IDE hard drive and through an Audigy with the latest driver set installed.  I am using no third party plugins for Foobar, and active DSP plugins are the equalizer, soft clipping limiter, and convert stereo to 4 channels.