Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Advanced Ogg Vorbis Quality Settings (Read 12026 times) previous topic - next topic

Advanced Ogg Vorbis Quality Settings

Reply #25
I'm going to try to give some help...

OggZealot: I see you use a Q value of 2 for your encodes.

I think there is something in your idea of how this all works that is causing some trouble here.

Q 1.98, Q 2.01, Q 1.64, Q 2.17, Q 2.68, etc... are just as "optimized" as Q 2.00 or Q 3.00.

There is no problem at all with using intermediate values.

Maybe this brings some light...

Reply #26
Even with the new scale I am certain there will be just as much people who won't know what quality setting to use. Most likely they will see "nominal bitrate: 128" and choose that, be it q 4 or q -2. Adjusting to a different quality scale now would also stir up a lot of confusion and many "I used to use q5. But what should I use now?" type threads.

Percieved quality doesn't scale linearly with bitrate. See one of the first posts. I agree most people expect linear behaviour but linear in quality and not in bitrate, i.e. q 4 should sound twice as good as q 2.

Quality more or less scales logarithmically with bitrate (very rough approximation). So in order to have a linear quality scale, the bitrates must follow an exponential curve. Your proposal actually "delinearizes" the quality scale!

About underused fractional quality settings: If you find out that quality 5.5 gives you ideal results but then you change that because someone gives you a strange look... your ego needs fixing - not the quality scale. People love things that have 10 in them. It's a range of numbers we can really relate to and makes for a nice scale.

Reply #27
Please note that the "nominal bitrate" in Vorbis is just an indicator, it has no connection to the actual inner workings of Vorbis.

Impact!

To OggZealot
On IMHO you didn't study FAQs well. I don't pretend to be guru, don't be accused,but I would like to advice you to read more about LAME->Vorbis Ogg evolution.
My most encoded music (Ogg q5) takes much less space than LAME APS. But the last Yello's album gives almost  no priority (on Mbs) to LAME APS. And I think this is not the proof of LAME being better codec than Vorbis Ogg. If there were no advantage to Ogg (in Mbs), that was used to achieve quality. And I am almost relaxed when I see so big values of size when I use GT3.
Ogg Vorbis for music and speech [q-2.0 - q6.0]
FLAC for recordings to be edited
Speex for speech