Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Ripping vinyl - question on quality... (Read 7507 times) previous topic - next topic

Ripping vinyl - question on quality...

Reply #25
Originally posted by Pio2001
I wonder if it's a good idea to clean records that are already clean. A carbon fiber brush removes the biggest dusts, and doesn't harm records, that's sure. It's even the only solid matter I found that can be passed on a brand new CD without leaving any mark visible with any light under any angle.

I agree it's good to not go overboard..  always the chance you might accidentally put a scratch on it while cleaning..  I'm not sure if I believe that the mould release (to make the record come out of the press easily when made) needs to be cleaned on a virgin record..  though some say differently..
I think I'd not clean (besides brushing) a new record,  and probably always wash a used one.  Of course, after the big wash,  you should'nt need to do it again for a long time..

How much noise/clicks exactly do you get from your records ? Usually, on brand new records, clicks are audible only during quiet parts, and the background noise is inferior to a cassette tape's. I must admit that every new record I purchased still sounds better than any second hand record regarding clicks/noise, exept 45 maxi singles, that can sound perfect even second hand.

When I record a record, I add a marker every time a special click dusturbs me. Once recorded, I just remove the marked clicks.

I haven't recorded any new albums..  just some pretty used ones.  :-)
It depends on the level of what you call noise..  like you point out,  during loud parts,  you don't notice what you would during a quiet passage.  The  noise algorithym dosen't care,  and will find 'em anyway..  After running the CE 2K click and pop on an old Frank Zappa album,  it found 49,000 things, decided 25,000 were real clicks,  and removed them!  This on a only moderately noisy album,  after a good cleaning!  I'm sure not all of them were neccicary,  on the other hand,  it took only 8 min for it to do it..

I don't think the kind of music can mean anything. I supposed too that this kind of music would never be declickable, but I was wrong. I was very surprised to be able to let the auto declick run for two clicked minutes on Klaus Schulze - Picture Music with no audible harm to the sound.

I gave up any noise reduction on vinyls or even tapes with SoundForge noise reduction plugin. I can live with some noise, but not with some pumping effect resulting from noise reduction.

Hmmm... they may vary..  I guess it comes down to how (and therby what) the program "decides" something is a click..  CE will let you change the paramaters a little on that,  as well as WaveRepair..   

Though on the harming the sound issue..  I have heard it with the "full auto" cleaning of CE+noise addons..  As an example,  the aforementioned Zappa album,  "Zoot Allures"  a song called "Ms. Pinky" has a really fuzzed out, distorted bass.  Comparing the before and after .wav files..  I could hear the "edge" of that buzzy bass kind of uneven and going up and down.  A pretty minor effect,  but as picky as people get with encoders around here...  ;-)
I've heard little to no pumping,  though,  but I'll be listening for it.  Unfortunately,  I don't have Sound Forge and etc  to compare..  but I'm pretty happy with what I've got...

Reply #26
As long as your resampling algorithms are perfect, you can record at 96 kHz, but with the one used in softwares, it is safer to record at 88.2 kHz in order to convert to 44.1 kHz with less loss.

http://www.musicplayer.com/cgi-bin/ultimat...ic;f=3;t=002790

(PT means Pro Tools)

Originally posted by JonPike
Of course, after the big wash,  you should'nt need to do it again for a long time..

There are two other places where the dust stays : into the sleeve, and into the slipmat. The vinyl charged with static electricity can gather all that dust to itself again when put there.

Reply #27
As long as your resampling algorithms are perfect, you can record at 96 kHz, but with the one used in softwares, it is safer to record at 88.2 kHz in order to convert to 44.1 kHz with less loss.

You're right about 88.2KHz, but I don't think there's such thing as a "perfect" resampling algorithm when the multipliers aren't even.  The best I know of is Cool Edit Pro, and the higher the quality setting, the steeper the filter cutoff slope (apparently can lead to abnormal boosting of freqs near the Nyquist, altho my guess is it would be inaudible).

Reply #28
Originally posted by fewtch
The best I know of is Cool Edit Pro, 

in that post, they rather speak about hardware SRC, than software:

Probably with the SRCs from Z-Systems, dCS or Daniel Weiss there is almost no audible difference, but they are more expensive. The Weiss is quite interesting, because it uses fixed (locked) relations between input and output sampe rate.

I heard also a lot of good comments about the SRC in Sonic Solutions as a software SRC but forget the one in PT.

Reply #29

There are two other places where the dust stays : into the sleeve, and into the slipmat. The vinyl charged with static electricity can gather all that dust to itself again when put there.

Yes.  That's why it is recommended to put it back into a brand new, clean sleeve after a big wash..  something I have to admit I haven't got to doing yet..
You can get fairly inexpensive, high quality bulk sleeves..  but so far, I'm lazy.

I haven't noticed a huge amout of dust,  and of course I brush clean each side before playing..  like one always should do.