Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: MPCGain (Read 6461 times) previous topic - next topic

MPCGain

Yep, for dubious reasons, I wish to alter the volume of a few MPC's, in MP3Gain style.

Does MPCGain exist?

[span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%']Yes, yes, I know, "WavGain" before encoding.... [/span]

MPCGain

Reply #1
You want to look for replaygain here.
daefeatures.co.uk

MPCGain

Reply #2
mpc-gain, as in "changing the already encoded audo data to make it a different loudness" does not exist.

However, replay gain, using meta data, for mpc does exist, and it is very widely supported.

So use the mpc replaygain.exe, and enable replay gain in the mpc plug-in of whatever player you're using.

That should do.

Cheers,
David.

MPCGain

Reply #3
mpc-gain, as in "changing the already encoded audo data to make it a different loudness" does not exist.

Is it possible to do so, losslessly, with MPC, as a format?

Cheers!

MPCGain

Reply #4
yes, replaygain for mpc is lossless. It just adds replaygain info (both track and album gain) to the header.

MPCGain

Reply #5
That's not answering the question, I can see that

MPCGain

Reply #6
eh.. IC... 

To answer the question as 2Bdecided already did:
No, there's no tool that does it and it's not needed since replaygain is part of SV7 specs making any player that doesn't support it broken/incomplete.

MPCGain

Reply #7
Good point

Its utter laziness on my part - I want to burn Audio CD's off for the car, and its just one small task out of the picture if I could losslessly gain MPC (whilst they are still MPC's ).   

So would it actually be possible to do?  (this is not a call for programmers to start working upon it - your lives are short and there is still much left to do )

MPCGain

Reply #8
Perhaps, if that is the case, you could use foobar2000 and the Audio CD Writer plugin (foo_burninate) to write audio CDs with replaygain data applied to the decoded audio

MPCGain

Reply #9
I want to burn Audio CD's off for the car, and its just one small task out of the picture if I could losslessly gain MPC (whilst they are still MPC's

By going to audio-CD the mpc's are somewhere decode to PCM (wav).

If mppdec is used (or Nero plug-in) you could try and set decoding setting using (a combination of)
--gain, --prev or --scale.
Maybe you're looking for something like "--scale 0.8 --prev"

If you're using foobar2000 you can mess with the settings of the disk writer,  replaygain setting, pre-amp and/or dsp's.
In Winamp (I vaguely remember  ) there is a slider in the mpc plug-in to set the reference level.

In short, don't touch the files, look at the decoding stage.

note: all above suggestions (except --scale) only work on files with replaygain applied.
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is.

MPCGain

Reply #10
I could never find out if you can use replaygain to adjust the sound level to your taste. As far as i know (but it's not much i admit ) replaygain calculates a basic average volume level and adds it to the file info. But can you say: "well, i'd like this album to be played 2db louder", as was the case with mp3gain?

I'd like to be able to do with mpc files what i still do with mp3 files. Is replaygain fit to the job?

MPCGain

Reply #11
Well, with foobar it's easy to change the replaygain manually.

MPCGain

Reply #12
.... if I could losslessly gain MPC (whilst they are still MPC's ).   

So would it actually be possible to do?   (this is not a call for programmers to start working upon it - your lives are short and there is still much left to do )

I hope this helps....

I am not sure what you are looking for here.  if you apply replaygain to an MPC file, then burn an audio CD with with that MPC file, the audio levels will remain the same as the origional.  Replaygain settings are applied by default in Foobar 2000 and you can actuvate it as well with Winamp.

If you want to apply the replaygain to your CD for your car, then you could use the diskwriter plugin from Foobar.  I thing it would be easier to burn the CD with Nero(if you use windows) and use Mausau's MPC plugin.Mausau's MPC plugin 

Go into the options for decoding and insert one of gain options.

For albums: --gain 1 --prev
(or --gain 3 --prev)
For compilations: --gain 0 --prev
(or --gain 2 --prev)

It's a good idea to apply ReplayGain first (see above and further below). Explanations of the switches:

--prev: Activate clipping prevention.
(Clipping occurs when the amplitude of a sound is above the maximum allowed level,
i.e. when it is too loud to be recorded/reproduced. Clipping causes sound to distort.)

--gain 0:
No usage of replaygain. Together with --prev: Title-based clipping prevention.
The loudness of each song is reduced individually to the point where no song is clipping.

--gain 1:
No usage of replaygain. Together with --prev: Album-based clipping prevention.
Each song of an album is attenuated by the same amount and no song has clipping.

--gain 2:
Title-based replaygain, rest like 0.

--gain 3:
Album-based replaygain, rest like 1.

MPCGain

Reply #13
That's nice and clear.

Put this in the FAQ please!

Cheers,
David.

MPCGain

Reply #14
As far as i know replaygain calculates a basic average volume level and adds it to the file info. But can you say: "well, i'd like this album to be played 2db louder", as was the case with mp3gain?

No, as you say, replaygain uses the reference level (89 dB SPL) and it's fixed unlike in mp3gain. In fact this is in line with the replaygain concepts.
The only extra thing in the mpc implementation is the setting of the percentile
example: replaygain -97 --autodB *.mpc , but it changes the gain levels only in a minor way.
So you're stuck with setting the reference level at playback/decoding as I suggested before (I think foobar looks most flexible for this, it has a pre-amp section in the playback tab of the preferences).
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is.

MPCGain

Reply #15
So you're stuck with setting the reference level at playback/decoding as I suggested before (I think foobar looks most flexible for this, it has a pre-amp section in the playback tab of the preferences).

Thx for your answer.

Well yes, editing the replaygain info with Foobar did the trick (this is labelled as an "advanced option" in Foobar, so i had never had a look at it before).

Selecting an album and editing the replaygain info up or down does modify the volume output, that's what i was looking for. 

MPCGain

Reply #16
You can also use the settings honz318712 mentioned with the MPC Batch Encoder (Speek's mpcenc and mpcdec frontend) or Musedrop (from layer3maniac) when you decode your mpcs to wav.

Then you can burn the wavs with your favourite tool, and replaygain values will be added.

Enjoy!

MPCGain

Reply #17
But can you say: "well, i'd like this album to be played 2db louder", as was the case with mp3gain?

I'd like to be able to do with mpc files what i still do with mp3 files. Is replaygain fit to the job?

As other people have pointed out, you can edit the Replay Gain information in the file to change the volume of that track or album. Or you can change the pre-amp to change the volume of everything.

This brings up an important point: In some implementations (i.e. formats), there's no way to know if a file that you've, er, acquired, has the "correct" replay gain value, or a user altered one. This means, if you want replay gain, you have to replay gain everything, even file which you acquire that are already replay gained.

Cheers,
David.